Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times

Advertisements

I've always been a baseball fan, and actually prefer the minor leagues to the majors. We moved to the area in 2011, and I was excited that the Triad had the Grasshoppers in Greensboro and Dash in Winston-Salem. I haven't been to a Hi-Toms (collegiate summer ball, but I'll include them in this discussion) game yet...they have some great history, just haven't made it out to Finch Field yet. I'll definitely get to a High Point baseball game when the park opens next year. I haven't been to a Burlington Royals game...probably won't unless I'm desperate for a baseball fix, just due to the distance from home compared to other choices.

When we moved here, baseball was pretty much it. Now we have the Carolina Thunderbirds minor league hockey in W-S, Greensboro Swarm for development league basketball (I HATE calling it G-League), and Carolina Cobras for arena football in Greensboro. I have visited these last 3 over the past season, and they all do a good job at providing good entertainment for a good value. My only beef (pun intended) is the limited concession choices at the Fieldhouse for Swarm games - but that's the responsibility of the venue. I found the fans at the Thunderbirds and Cobras games to be the most enthusiastic of these newest three teams, but the turnout at the one Swarm game I went to was limited due to weather.

I prefer our choices to the major league basketball and football (Charlotte) and hockey (Raleigh). I did enjoy a Durham Bulls game, and have been to a few Carolina Mudcats baseball games in Zebulon, and to Kinston (Indians baseball, now Down East Wood Ducks) when we lived in Greenville NC. I would like to see a Charlotte Knights game sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:21 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
I actually wonder if a possible development for the News and Record site in Greensboro could be a small arena (approximately 6-8K in size). This would be large enough to attract ECHL hockey to the region and maybe be a larger venue for the Developmental League team as well (they draw fairly well for their small arena from what I understand). In fact, I actually wonder if THAT might have been the better idea for High Point instead of a third minor league baseball stadium for the area.... but a downtown arena might have conflicted with HPU's vision for their own arena and thus....

As for the teams we currently have, I've been to one Dash game, one Grasshoppers game, and a Thunderbirds game. The Burlington Royals are on my list as well as both AAA baseball teams. I intended to go to a Charlotte Knights game last year, but a rain delay in Charlotte forced us to go a few miles north to Kannapolis (where the weather was acceptable for baseball) and watch the Intimidators (where the Baltimore Orioles farm team was the opponent.. and the Os are my team, so it probably worked out better). I'd also like to make it out to Hickory one of these days and I might even catch a game in Asheville if I happen to be out there for another reason (like a brewery tour weekend). I've heard good things about Cobras games too and I'd love to make it to one of those as I've never been to an arena league game.

But sports options are one thing I love about living in this area. Both professional (minor league) and college.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:43 AM

I wonder what kind of deal the Cobras got for rent at the Coliseum...it's such a large venue. Even with much of the upper level draped off, the crowd was pretty sparse (though it meant my season tickets got upgraded). They had maybe 2,000 on hand on Saturday - the Coliseum was overkill. With the revolving door that is arena football, I'll be surprised if they last. I sure hope they do, I just wouldn't bet on it. The Annex is a good fit for the Thunderbirds (I'd love to see them grow out of that venue, just don't think it will happen anytime soon). I think the Fieldhouse is small for what the Swarm could eventually draw.

I don't think the Triad needs another team with the new independent team coming to HP, but I'll still support them (technically not minor league as they are unaffiliated, but similar level of play). And with Dr Qubein/HPU involved, they shouldn't be lacking of financial support.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I actually wonder if a possible development for the News and Record site in Greensboro could be a small arena (approximately 6-8K in size). This would be large enough to attract ECHL hockey to the region and maybe be a larger venue for the Developmental League team as well (they draw fairly well for their small arena from what I understand). In fact, I actually wonder if THAT might have been the better idea for High Point instead of a third minor league baseball stadium for the area.... but a downtown arena might have conflicted with HPU's vision for their own arena and thus....

As for the teams we currently have, I've been to one Dash game, one Grasshoppers game, and a Thunderbirds game. The Burlington Royals are on my list as well as both AAA baseball teams. I intended to go to a Charlotte Knights game last year, but a rain delay in Charlotte forced us to go a few miles north to Kannapolis (where the weather was acceptable for baseball) and watch the Intimidators (where the Baltimore Orioles farm team was the opponent.. and the Os are my team, so it probably worked out better). I'd also like to make it out to Hickory one of these days and I might even catch a game in Asheville if I happen to be out there for another reason (like a brewery tour weekend). I've heard good things about Cobras games too and I'd love to make it to one of those as I've never been to an arena league game.

But sports options are one thing I love about living in this area. Both professional (minor league) and college.
A small arena for dt Greensboro for smaller events and hockey would be cool. As much as I like that idea, it will probably never happen because of the decades of investment into the Greensboro Coliseum. An aquatic center was originally proposed for downtown but voters voted it down. Matt Brown championed for an aquatic center at the coliseum after that and the city found a slick way to get voters to pass it. They included it with parks and recs which is something voters always approve.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
If you're a minor league baseball fan, North Carolina is pretty much the closest thing to nirvana as you can get. 11 teams, 2 AAA, 4 High-A, 4 Low-A and 1 Rookie League team.

At one time, when the Mudcats were in the AA Southern League, North Carolina had 5 different minor league classes in the state. Then if you throw in the neighboring states, South Carolina has another 5 minor league baseball teams and then you have the other Appy League teams besides Burlington in Tennessee/Virginia/West Virginia.

Fayetteville's getting a brand new ballpark and it looks like Kannapolis will be getting one as well.

I like to experience the various teams and their ballparks, the city, the atmosphere, they're all different and unique, I feel. I think I've been to 80 or more different minor league baseball cities, to see games, many where teams no longer exist.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you're a minor league baseball fan, North Carolina is pretty much the closest thing to nirvana as you can get. 11 teams, 2 AAA, 4 High-A, 4 Low-A and 1 Rookie League team.

At one time, when the Mudcats were in the AA Southern League, North Carolina had 5 different minor league classes in the state. Then if you throw in the neighboring states, South Carolina has another 5 minor league baseball teams and then you have the other Appy League teams besides Burlington in Tennessee/Virginia/West Virginia.

Fayetteville's getting a brand new ballpark and it looks like Kannapolis will be getting one as well.

I like to experience the various teams and their ballparks, the city, the atmosphere, they're all different and unique, I feel. I think I've been to 80 or more different minor league baseball cities, to see games, many where teams no longer exist.
If this list is up-to-date and you exclude Independent baseball teams, only Florida has more minor league teams than NC. A lot of Florida teams are Rookie league (not to put down the lowest level), and only one above A level. Including Independents (which I generally do include when speaking of minor leagues), then California, Texas, Florida, and New York have more teams than NC.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
A small arena for dt Greensboro for smaller events and hockey would be cool. As much as I like that idea, it will probably never happen because of the decades of investment into the Greensboro Coliseum. An aquatic center was originally proposed for downtown but voters voted it down. Matt Brown championed for an aquatic center at the coliseum after that and the city found a slick way to get voters to pass it. They included it with parks and recs which is something voters always approve.
I tend to agree that a small coliseum downtown isn't realistic... but the ballpark passed so who knows. It would make it easier if there was an ECHL team signed on and ready to join pending an arena. Heck, they could probably make it one year in the Fieldhouse or the W-S Annex (assuming the league the Thunderbirds are part of folds). Here are a couple comparables we could look at.

Independence, MO: 5800 fixed seats built in 2009 for about $60 million.
Fayetteville, NC: 10,000 seats built in 1997 for about $55 million (A similar project now would probably cost about $100 million, but 10,000 is also larger than would be needed).
Southaven, MS: 8400 seats (hockey) built in 2000 for $35 million... seats over 10K for concerts (Again, a similar project would probably cost about $60+ million now, but that would be a realistic(ish) pricetag)

Frankly, I think something of similar scope to Independence, MO would be a solid addition to downtown. Like you said, highly unlikely (maybe even pipe dreamish) that it would pass, but it's an idea for maybe 5-10 years from now. It would also serve to potentially "expand the borders" of "downtown" as developed. Perhaps the building could also double as a smallish convention center.

Also, I do wonder if the Triad may be prime one of these days for AA baseball. I know Raleigh had AA baseball and one of the reasons we don't have AA baseball here is logistical, but Tennessee has three teams in the Southern League (two of which are in the eastern third of the state in Chattanooga and Kodak, which is a little east of Knoxville). Greensboro's stadium is certainly big enough while Winston-Salem's would be a bit small (but likely still doable). Perhaps Zebulon (east of Raleigh) was just a bit too far east... but Winston-Salem especially maybe more realistic (less than 4 hours from Kodak, compared to five and a half to Zebulon). And yes, I realize this is also a reach... though more realistic than a DT Greensboro arena.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
If this list is up-to-date and you exclude Independent baseball teams, only Florida has more minor league teams than NC. A lot of Florida teams are Rookie league (not to put down the lowest level), and only one above A level. Including Independents (which I generally do include when speaking of minor leagues), then California, Texas, Florida, and New York have more teams than NC.
I usually use the MiLB website and their list, since I only really like affiliated ball, I've never been a fan of Indy League baseball, but I do admit, it does fill a niche in certain markets.

Teams by Name | MiLB.com Official Info | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

With Florida, I don't really count the Gulf Coast Rookie League teams, yeah they're there and "affiliated", but I consider them even lower than the Appalachian and Pioneer "Advanced" Rookie League teams. And even the High-A Florida State League with 12 teams, sure it's High-A level of play, but those teams have horrible attendances, because it's just too hot and humid to sit there in the summer time.

While I agree the level of play at the Advanced Rookie/Short season A level isn't that great, the one good thing I like about those leagues is that you get to see the newly drafted players from that year. And with some of the those 1st and 2nd rounders, it's nice to say, you saw them in rookie ball!

One of my goals is to see every AAA, AA, High-A, Low-A, Short Season A and Advanced Rookie play in their home park. Will it happen, who knows. Many people have tried to do it in one season April-September, the logistcs are crazy and if you have rain outs, that makes it nearly impossible to reach your goal and most of the blogs/reports I read of people doing this, they end up leaving games after a few innings to get back on the road to make it to their next city in time.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 AM

I was curious about what kind of deal the Carolina Cobras got to use the Coliseum - it seems like too much space based on the turnout. The team pays $14,000 per game to rent the Coliseum, including camera operators and the Jumbotron screen. I have no idea how that compares to other venues. The team also gets a share of concessions and all merchandise revenue. Coliseum keeps all parking fees. National Arena League signs three-year deal for Cobras to play in Coliseum | Recreation | greensboro.com

I hope they're successful. I'll be going back for a second game soon.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 PM

This hockey season has been an amazing one for the Carolina Thunderbirds... a Federal Hockey League-record 22 consecutive wins going into this weekend's games. My daughter and I are going Saturday, our second of the season (we went three times last year).

I just saw that the Greensboro Swarm's G-League basketball game this Saturday is sold out. We went to one game their first season; the facility was well run but the concessions are sorely lacking.

We'll probably make it to at least one Carolina Cobras game this season. I bought season tickets for their inaugural season last year (they won the National Arena League championship), but didn't make it to enough games so I'll just buy single tickets this year. The league has added a couple of teams and has 8 teams expected to play later this year.

Baseball is still my favorite sport, and I'm getting excited to see the High Point Rockers at the new BB&T Point this spring. I'll also plan to getting out the a Winston-Salem Dash game - I suspect their attendance might suffer a bit with the Business 40 construction. I don't get to see the Greensboro Grasshoppers as often, but will if I'm looking for a game and if the Rockers or Dash are out of town (W-S and HP are closer to me than G'boro). I only hope that the Hi-Toms summer college team will survive with the Rockers so close by and with a brand new stadium.

Overall, I continue to love the options for spectator sports here in the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point