Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 AM

185 posts, read 199,872 times

Advertisements

does anyone know if the city has any plans in the works for making Summit Ave more attractive. It seems like with it being so close to downtown the city would want to invest a lil in it's street scaping. or at least improve the road . especially around Mrs Winners and maybe get rid of that sketchy looking apt building across from it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 10:10 AM

6,165 posts, read 7,243,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
does anyone know if the city has any plans in the works for making Summit Ave more attractive. It seems like with it being so close to downtown the city would want to invest a lil in it's street scaping. or at least improve the road . especially around Mrs Winners and maybe get rid of that sketchy looking apt building across from it..
There is indeed a streetscape plan for Summit Ave between Yanceyville St and downtown. But there does seem to be a disconnect between downtown and the Aycock Neighborhood along Summit Ave. It doesn't help matters when the State Employee Credit Union bought all that land on the edge of downtown only to be vacant land. On top of that, they built a suburban style credit union.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the insight gosboi78, Definitely look forward to seeing a more appealing Summit Ave. Maybe do something with the two shopping centers and maybe on futhur down where roses is.. all three of those shopping centers seem to only offer the lower end retail stores.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:22 AM

513 posts, read 512,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There is indeed a streetscape plan for Summit Ave between Yanceyville St and downtown. But there does seem to be a disconnect between downtown and the Aycock Neighborhood along Summit Ave. It doesn't help matters when the State Employee Credit Union bought all that land on the edge of downtown only to be vacant land. On top of that, they built a suburban style credit union.
Yeah, big missed opportunity by SECU.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,627,768 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight gosboi78, Definitely look forward to seeing a more appealing Summit Ave. Maybe do something with the two shopping centers and maybe on futhur down where roses is.. all three of those shopping centers seem to only offer the lower end retail stores.
The reason the area has lower end retail stores is that, quite frankly, the neighborhood around it is a lower income area, so furniture rental places, cell phone stores, dollar stores, check cashing, and cheap, generic fast food is what ends up gravitating to those areas. At least people are taking care of their fingernails, because there are plenty of nail salons. It would at least be good though to see some spruce up of the street (which gsoboi78 mentioned was part of the master plan for the area), landscaping, sidewalks, lighting, etc. similar to the enhancements along East Market Street by NC A&T. I understand exactly what's being said about making the area look more presentable.

The challenge is that the higher end retail and mid- to upscale grocers, such as Harris Teeter, have long abandoned areas that aren't higher end, if they were even in those areas at all. It would be good to at least have some more unique culinary options in the area since the majority of the places along Summit and Bessemer are standard fast food joints. Such as Lin's Garden (though the building wasn't much to look at) on E. Bessemer, right off of Summit, which in its heyday had delicious Americanized Chinese food, but of course it is no longer there (and went downhill pretty quickly before it closed because I think it was sold out to a new owner?).

Old 05-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The reason the area has lower end retail stores is that, quite frankly, the neighborhood around it is a lower income area, so furniture rental places, cell phone stores, dollar stores, check cashing, and cheap, generic fast food is what ends up gravitating to those areas. At least people are taking care of their fingernails, because there are plenty of nail salons. It would at least be good though to see some spruce up of the street (which gsoboi78 mentioned was part of the master plan for the area), landscaping, sidewalks, lighting, etc. similar to the enhancements along East Market Street by NC A&T. I understand exactly what's being said about making the area look more presentable.

The challenge is that the higher end retail and mid- to upscale grocers, such as Harris Teeter, have long abandoned areas that aren't higher end, if they were even in those areas at all. It would be good to at least have some more unique culinary options in the area since the majority of the places along Summit and Bessemer are standard fast food joints. Such as Lin's Garden (though the building wasn't much to look at) on E. Bessemer, right off of Summit, which in its heyday had delicious Americanized Chinese food, but of course it is no longer there (and went downhill pretty quickly before it closed because I think it was sold out to a new owner?).
Yep Harris Teeter left the Northeast Shopping Center on Summit Ave years ago. I remember when it was Food World which tells you how old I am. There was also a Duff's Cafeteria in the shopping center. Years ago there was Monroe's curb side burger joint nearby similar to Sonics. Talk about good burgers and shakes.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Yea jowel I wish something a lil more upscale would come to the area. Just a step up from compare foods would make a difference.. I was hoping the new gas station that was built would of been a Sheetz but it enede up being a great stops... Does anyone know what's gonna be built beside the taco Bell??!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Yea jowel I wish something a lil more upscale would come to the area. Just a step up from compare foods would make a difference.. I was hoping the new gas station that was built would of been a Sheetz but it enede up being a great stops... Does anyone know what's gonna be built beside the taco Bell??!
I know there are hardly any Sheetz on the east side of town. The only one is up hwy 29. I noticed that building that had been torn down. Will be interesting to see what goes there but upscale in that area is only a dream unfortunately or anything east of downtown. There might be some opportunities near the loop in East Greensboro at some point in the future depending on what kind of housing sprouts up. Higher-end jobs in that area will lead to high income housing.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:05 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,627,768 times
Quote:
Yep Harris Teeter left the Northeast Shopping Center on Summit Ave years ago. I remember when it was Food World which tells you how old I am. There was also a Duff's Cafeteria in the shopping center. Years ago there was Monroe's curb side burger joint nearby similar to Sonics. Talk about good burgers and shakes.
I remember the chain "Food World" too.
I don't remember the other two places but I enjoy learning about restaurants like this.

Quote:
If somehow the proximity to NC A & T were better capitalized on in East Greensboro, that would be helpful.
You can track different projects here:

Plan Review Tracking

Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything for an address beside Taco Bell. The summary for the Great Stops on the plan tracking did say it would have a Little Ceasars and laundromat.

Quote:
I know there are hardly any Sheetz on the east side of town. The only one is up hwy 29. I noticed that building that had been torn down. Will be interesting to see what goes there but upscale in that area is only a dream unfortunately or anything east of downtown. There might be some opportunities near the loop in East Greensboro at some point in the future depending on what kind of housing sprouts up. Higher-end jobs in that area will lead to high income housing.
I think the Elmsley Square area is one of the biggest wins for new development in the area, but it's more South/Southeast Greensboro. However, it wasn't exactly upscale, but middle America kinds of shopping/housing, and places most of suburbia kind of takes for granted (Starbucks, etc.). And even there, some of the newish residential areas around that are much better maintained than others. If you think of Greensboro being like a clock and put the downtown area at the center of the clock, the area between 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock (the exact boundaries being debatable) within the city limits is the area really needing some good re-investment, much of which, as gsoboi78 pointed out, will need to come as a result of good employment opportunities in the area.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-20-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point