Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 PM

4,561 posts, read 3,765,170 times

Advertisements

Not from me but posting for a family member: She has been relocated from Boston to Winston-Salem for her tech job and wondering where to live as a early 30's single. Obviously, moving from Boston to the Triad is a huge move due to many factors. However, she has lived in rural areas like northwest PA, and southern TN before. Still, it's going to be quite a change.

Her immediate answer was that she wants to live in downtown Winston-Salem. Is this area walkable to the restaurants and bars? Which specific apartments are good in that area? Any other areas besides downtown that are good? Her job is close to the U of NC School of the Arts on Waughtown St.

Anyway, in typical Boston fashion she specially ONLY wants to live in downtown Winston-Salem. Just being honest here, she was trying to move to Charlotte but company didn't let her. Have told her to do a search first anyway but didn't find much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM

185 posts, read 199,596 times
There are plenty of restaurants and bars downtown and she will have a variety of venues to choose from. but please let her know that NC is not a walkable state. She will need a car to get to the other stores she needs like Target and grocery stores. NC public transportation system is not like bigger cities. It's more or less set up for people that can't afford their on transportation. Winston Salem is a beautiful city and she will enjoy discovering it and it's history!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
The Nissen building downtown is very nice. Its a 1920's office building that was rehabbed into luxury apartments and has a rooftop pool.

Downtown is very walkable to restaurants, bars, art galleries and the like, but a car will, as noted above, be a necessity for getting to work, shopping, etc.

Other neighborhoods near downtown to look at include West End and Ardmore.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 PM

34,102 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
where to live as a early 30's single.
Her immediate answer was that she wants to live in downtown Winston-Salem.
Her job is close to the U of NC School of the Arts on Waughtown St.
She'll be fine

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
Sounds reasonable to me. Downtown would be a good fit. Will she be on the UNCSA campus or just nearby? If she’s on campus, it’s even convenient to bike (it’d be a long walk to do regularly) to campus. The Nissen Building is a good option. Or maybe some of the lofts near the Wale Forest Innovation Quarter. Those aren’t quite as close to most bars and restaurants as Nissen, though. Hilltop House could work too, if her budget is a little more modest. I am sure there are other options.

Once she gets to know the town, she may want to branch out into Washington Park, the West End, Ardmore, West Salem, etc.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 AM

102 posts, read 122,026 times
Default just a thought

Why do I get the feeling she will hate it here since she already really did not want to be here. She really wants to be in Charlotte. I am from Charlotte and I do love it there I also love Winston Salem

Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamountalum2004 View Post
Why do I get the feeling she will hate it here since she already really did not want to be here. She really wants to be in Charlotte. I am from Charlotte and I do love it there I also love Winston Salem
Thats quite an assumption you've made there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point