Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to the area. I constantly see reports about the crime in the area. I believe there were 3 homicides yesterday. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 10:11 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,568 times
Unfortunately Gboro has been seeing a spike in violent crime lately. I believe for 2017 it had the highest murder rate of NC’s big cities. I think it was the highest murder rate Gboro has seen in years if I remember right. Not good if that trend is continuing.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 AM

171 posts, read 159,222 times
I agree normally its like less than 10 to 15 a year still bad...

Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Just looking at the statistics from City-Data, the murder rate has fluctuated. I only see it up to 2015, though, but it looks like it's nearly half of what it was in 2007.

Biggest thing is, if you don't get messed up into drugs or spend a lot of time on the wrong side of town - especially after dark, you should be fine. Living in a "bigger" city is always going to come with disclaimers, because there's going to be violent, crime ridden places, and there's going to be crime. But for the most part, Greensboro is a perfectly safe city to live in.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
Sensationalist media makes every city look unsafe and teeming with murderers, thieves, and drug lords at every corner.

Skinsguy nailed it... stay away from sketchy neighborhoods (or keep your wits about you if you're walking through one) and sketchy people, you'll be fine here.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Im not really concerned for myself, im not in the sketchy neighborhoid, just curious why city council isnt trying to do more to promote the city positives rather than all the negatives portrayed by the media.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:05 AM

185 posts, read 199,412 times
Since the planet fitness on market is closed and being renovated, I'm going to the one at Golden gate shopping center. That area almost looks as bad as the four seasons area .. I went next door to the food Lion and theres a policeman posted up front.. didn't exactly give off a warm and fuzzy shopping Vibe. I got it and got out... Is my perception of cone and the aera wrong or is it just as bad as four seasons mall area??

Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Im not really concerned for myself, im not in the sketchy neighborhoid, just curious why city council isnt trying to do more to promote the city positives rather than all the negatives portrayed by the media.
If you follow city council members on social media, you'll see that they do.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:48 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
City Council's job isn't to "promote" the city. Its to oversee the operation of the city. The city's Communications and Marketing Department does a variety of things to promote the city in a positive fashion:

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ions-marketing

Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
City Council's job isn't to "promote" the city. Its to oversee the operation of the city. The city's Communications and Marketing Department does a variety of things to promote the city in a positive fashion:

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ions-marketing
Perhaps I worded this poorly.Should have used something other than "promote". Why doesn't city council do more to oversee the operation of the city (ex. do they expect the chief of police (or whoever is in charge of police to do more to prevent crime)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point