Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 814,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
It has improved since the 80s and 90s, but as a native, I still feel like the city should feel more cosmopolitan due to its size. It's still pretty stratified racially and economically and it shows. Most people really don't venture outside of their type socially--that's true across all races and socioeconomic levels. Other cities in the state have race and class problems too, but it feels less overt because you at least see more heterogeneous social groups in those places. That's my experience living in and hanging out in other cities in NC.

I'm somewhat of an outlier among my family and neighborhood friends in that my college and professional experiences have put in social circles where I'm the only African American. I'd be curious to know which restaurant this was because I'm familiar with that vibe when I'm not with friends.
Check your inbox messages and see if the name rings a bell.

Maybe I was somewhat judging by "fox news" being on every TV in the place when most sports bar type places would be showing ESPN or something else less politically controversial and divisive.

I'm not certain enough about the name to shout it out on a public forum though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,401,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
They could have just faked a budget shortfall to close municipal pools...

Nashville Swimming Pools and Jim Crow
I can't speak to many of the issues being discussed on this thread. I don't see a lot of blatant racism in Winston, but I am a white man (who happens to have lived in some places, north and south, where racism was very in-your-face). I am well aware that I experience the world differently than people of color, so it's not for me to say what is or isn't going on.

I will say that as far as institutional racial and socioeconomic equity vis-a-vis public pools, there does seem to be a concerted effort in Winston to build and maintain pools and splash pads/spray grounds in all areas of the city: most recently the WaterWorks park in the Winston Lake area. City of Winston-Salem | Winston Waterworks

So at least in this way, Winston-Salem does seem to attempt a modicum of equity.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 PM

241 posts, read 339,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I can't speak to many of the issues being discussed on this thread. I don't see a lot of blatant racism in Winston, but I am a white man (who happens to have lived in some places, north and south, where racism was very in-your-face). I am well aware that I experience the world differently than people of color, so it's not for me to say what is or isn't going on.

I will say that as far as institutional racial and socioeconomic equity vis-a-vis public pools, there does seem to be a concerted effort in Winston to build and maintain pools and splash pads/spray grounds in all areas of the city: most recently the WaterWorks park in the Winston Lake area. City of Winston-Salem | Winston Waterworks

So at least in this way, Winston-Salem does seem to attempt a modicum of equity.
Yes, I noticed that was completed. It's beautiful but long overdue.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Loving WS more and more every day , but nothing surprises me anymore, though I for some strange reason expected better of this part of NC. Why, I don't know, but now I understand why my mother and her siblings left the first chance they got.

I've experienced similar incidences, elsewhere, of people questioning if I were a resident being I was the only black person living at a particular complex. Even by the time I moved some six years later, as tenants moved in and out, still occasionally, I would get the "do you live here?". Especially in the pool area. Quite a few events in the town I was often mistaken for the entertainment/performer. Seemed people thought I was making the rounds getting to know my audience and would be taking the stage at some point. Not kidding and don't let me just stand in the parking lot waiting for my creamy colored buddies to catch up with me, SECURITY would almost always suddenly appear. But honestly most people weren't such dingle-berries.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 AM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Loving WS more and more every day , but nothing surprises me anymore, though I for some strange reason expected better of this part of NC. Why, I don't know, but now I understand why my mother and her siblings left the first chance they got.
It's been happening everywhere as of late though (more accurately it's being captured by smartphones as of late...it's nothing new), even in so-called liberal places like Ivy League universities and major West Coast cities.

As Childish Gambino said, this is America.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post

I've experienced similar incidences, elsewhere, of people questioning if I were a resident being I was the only black person living at a particular complex. Even by the time I moved some six years later, as tenants moved in and out, still occasionally, I would get the "do you live here?". Especially in the pool area. Quite a few events in the town I was often mistaken for the entertainment/performer. Seemed people thought I was making the rounds getting to know my audience and would be taking the stage at some point. Not kidding and don't let me just stand in the parking lot waiting for my creamy colored buddies to catch up with me, SECURITY would almost always suddenly appear. But honestly most people weren't such dingle-berries.
Sounds familiar. It's amazing how the pool has always been a segregated spot in American history. My aunt moved out to an majority White apartment complex off of Polo Rd. in the early 70s and was the only Black resident there. She said she got a few looks, but mostly people were nice to her face. She didn't befriend anyone there, though. She told me they invited her to the pool often, but didn't feel comfortable enough for that. Being a child of the Jim Crow era, she'd joke about "accidentally drowning". Lol. Smh.

Of course, relations are far better than that now, but unfortunately not enough people leave their social circles in Winston. A co-worker and I were just discussing how you rarely see White people working certain jobs like janitors. If you're Black in some locations in the city, you're either cooking, cleaning or the entertainment. Sad thing is, people live such insular lives that they don't even recognize it. That's why America will still have these problems. If you don't get other perspectives, you won't know any better. That's true of any aspect of life, not just race relations.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's been happening everywhere as of late though (more accurately it's being captured by smartphones as of late...it's nothing new), even in so-called liberal places like Ivy League universities and major West Coast cities.

As Childish Gambino said, this is America.
Very true. The South has a reputation for being the most racist due to its slave-owning and Jim Crow roots, but some of the worse race riots in history have occurred in the the Northeast, Midwest and southern California. It is and always has been an American problem, not just a Southern one.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
Very true. The South has a reputation for being the most racist due to its slave-owning and Jim Crow roots, but some of the worse race riots in history have occurred in the the Northeast, Midwest and southern California. It is and always has been an American problem, not just a Southern one.

I agree it's never been just a southern thing, it's just more blatant at times in some parts, I've stated it before, the only place I've ever been called the N word, to my face was up North. There's as much racism up in norther parts as there is in the south, I personally just experienced it more in Florida and NC having lived these two places most recently.

Let me say, that's not the reason, I am not fond of WS of Florida since I'd move back to Florida in a minute given the right circumstances,.

As far as employment here for minorities, seems Winston does a pretty decent job there at least from the people I know, they have decent jobs. Much of my family did well for themselves dating back to my great-grandfathers, one white collar a lawyer blue collar and kind of famous enough to warrant a statue in this not for me place. Mostly people just seem stuck in some kind of time warp though, status is most important above much else and that's beyond anything to do with race. I just think, I'm too much of a heathen for this pop joint. 2-1/2 years in WS is long enough, hopefully by this time next year, I'll be elsewhere or learn to like it by way of Buddhism, Valium or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: