Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:15 AM

185 posts, read 199,632 times

Advertisements

Maybe they can go to the university parkway side of town.. that aera is a tad sketch.. lol....��. @jowel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:28 AM

6,129 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Maybe they can go to the university parkway side of town.. that aera is a tad sketch.. lol....��. @jowel
Yeah, and that could very well happen. My main point being that whenever an area gentrifies (or the healthier version of that...revitalizes), there is the side effect of the undesirable element (not meaning poorer people, but the criminal element residing in low rent properties) gets pushed out of an area, it doesn't just dissolve. It goes somewhere else, unless the root cause of why that element is there in the first place is dealt with. Which of course is a much harder task than just building some expensive housing and putting that element out of sight- out of mind in an area.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 AM

102 posts, read 122,045 times
I thought i heard the motel was being torn down but in its place is going affordable housing, which that could just be another term for low rent housing but newer

Old 08-13-2018, 12:30 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
From the WS zoning meeting, during which the plan for the Budget Inn property was approved:

Quote:
The plan is that six units at the new complex will be market rate and 54 units will be targeted toward low-income working families. The building’s first floor will house retail space and Shalom Project’s new headquarters. The property’s sale has a closing date of Sept. 30, after which the plan is to close and demolish the motel. The Shalom Project and the N.C. Housing Foundation will own the property. Funds are currently being raised for the project and organizers have applied for a Low Income Housing Tax Credit.
City approves Budget Inn rezoning, delays Ardmore townhouses | WS Chronicle

Old 08-14-2018, 06:20 AM

102 posts, read 122,045 times
so still not gentrifying just building more low-income housing. I don't think it makes the area any better then it is now

Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,399,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamountalum2004 View Post
so still not gentrifying just building more low-income housing. I don't think it makes the area any better then it is now
Where do you think lower income people should live? If it’s a well-managed property for the long term housing of working people, that’s five steps up from the Budget Inn. Heck, bull down the razor wire and fill in the terrifying old pool and you’re already on the path to a brighter future.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 AM

80 posts, read 69,915 times
This is a major upgrade and affordable housing downtown is needed and a good use for that location. Additionally the CDC that is developing the project will be locating their headquarters here so they are not likely to allow it to become blighted.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 AM

808 posts, read 691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I love to see all the growth in the area. I'll be even more impressed when more projects involving home ownership (most likely condos, but I could see townhomes being built on the outskirts). Buying a property takes more of a commitment typically than does renting.
Downtown condos generally don't get built en masse until most of the rest of downtown has been developed. Raleigh and Charlotte have apartments going up left and right in their downtowns, but very few condos have been built in either city aside from a few small developments in the older suburbs such as Myers Park. I don't doubt that WS will get some condos eventually, but it will take some time as evidenced by the other cities throughout NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point