Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,967,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're conflating (wrongly, imo) population growth with being "best". Durham may pass G'boro as the state's third most populous city, but that doesn't mean its better. Personally, I'd much prefer to live in G'boro or W-S instead of Durham.

And as noted, what Durham is "doing" is randomly and coincidentally hosting RTP. Most of it is physically located in Durham County, not Wake. Plus Duke University and its huge medical center.

How are Durham and Raleigh working together? Please provide some specific, large scale examples.
speaking of which.

Last time i checked. Current populations.

Greensboro 2016: 286,027: ----- 2018 294.056 8000+ people in two years.

Durham 2016: 263,016------2018: 276,345 13000+ people in two years.

Winston 2016: 242,203------2018: 247,789 5000 peope in two years.

Got these numbers from the 2016 census, and 2018 from the cities.

Everybody is doing pretty well, but durham is more on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 02:02 PM

322 posts, read 668,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I meant to respond to this earlier and forgot. RTP has Duke, UNC, and NC State to help back it, you're right. Duke is one of the nation's elite institutions. UNC is also considered a very good school with large base and vast resources. NC State is a pretty good school with a large base and good amount of resources as well.

Now, you're right in pointing out that IQ has Wake Forest to back it and that Wake Forest is a very good school (not quite on Duke's level... and probably not on UNC's level either, but very good). But it's still only one school instead of three. Not only that, but Wake Forest is also substantially smaller than each of the three schools listed for the Triangle (Duke is about twice the size of Wake Forest.... and UNC/NC State are each about twice as large as Duke). Sure, Wake Forest's involvement with IQ is a big win... but it isn't going to carry the clout that the three Triangle universities are going to pull.. especially given that RTP has about a 30 year head start on IQ. That said IQ has been VERY successful, especially when you consider the challenges that it does have.

Now, you're absolutely right in that Greensboro should be much further along as a city of its size. But you don't get further along by jumping right into major development.
More agreeable, but slightly incomplete information..

The Wake Forest Innovation Quarter may have the name Wake Forest associated to it, it is not solely an entity developed, funded, or exclusive to the university. There are initiatives involving also the North Carolina school of the Arts, Salem College, and Winston-Salem State. In fact, both Salem and WSSU own yet to be developed land in the south district of the park. Keep in mind, this park is not just a few blocks in East Winston, it encompasses over 120 acres.

The Center for Design and Innovation is my primary example.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
These polls are not worth two hoots. We know the old saying about opinions. And some of us should have learned about believing the polls about who would win the last election?
It's not a poll; it's a ranking. It contains solid data concerning population and job growth but like all data, it needs to be interpreted within proper context.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:38 PM

239 posts, read 306,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
No not just for the sake of growth but we need the kind of high paying jobs that we are seeing in Charlotte and Raleigh. I'd like to see our area become more cosmopolitan, urban and exciting. A place where college students and young professionals want to stay and not move away when they graduate or move away for greener pastures. The young people are our future and if we don't make this area attractive for them, The Triad's population is going to get older and older. I had a neighbor tell me last week, who is a young professional from the DC area tell me he's moving because there are no job opportunities here. That's a little anecdotal evidence that we need to do better.

Also the Innovation Quarter is not too small for companies like that. They can set up smaller operations. Plus there are probably hundreds of acres set aside for expanding the quarter.
I agree 100% the triad isn't very attractive for professionals under 45. It seems that it wants to stay that way the triangle Durham and Raleigh are growing at a rapid pace with young professionals and of course Charlotte.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,068,882 times
Quote:
More agreeable, but slightly incomplete information..

The Wake Forest Innovation Quarter may have the name Wake Forest associated to it, it is not solely an entity developed, funded, or exclusive to the university. There are initiatives involving also the North Carolina school of the Arts, Salem College, and Winston-Salem State. In fact, both Salem and WSSU own yet to be developed land in the south district of the park. Keep in mind, this park is not just a few blocks in East Winston, it encompasses over 120 acres.

The Center for Design and Innovation is my primary example.
FWIW, I'm not particularly familiar with IQ so thanks for the info. Though I was really more hitting the whole Wake Forest vs Duke/UNC/NC State deal. Wake Forest by itself carries nowhere near the same weight as the three Triangle schools.

That said, the IQ does appear to be doing very well.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,068,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I agree 100% the triad isn't very attractive for professionals under 45. It seems that it wants to stay that way the triangle Durham and Raleigh are growing at a rapid pace with young professionals and of course Charlotte.
That's absurd. Of course the Triad doesn't want to stay unattractive for young professionals. Winston-Salem's strategy to become more attractive is a good one. Greensboro pretty much seems to be all or nothing. Greensboro needs to quit fooling around the absurd Project 561 proposals and focus on some more Project Sluggers. Maybe in the next project, they won't lose 1/3 of the office space because they were too busy fawning over an unrealistic dream.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:57 PM

322 posts, read 668,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not a poll; it's a ranking. It contains solid data concerning population and job growth but like all data, it needs to be interpreted within proper context.
Call it a poll, a ranking, or whatever you want, but that information is: brought to you by that person or company conducting that “study.” My point is simply, I would bet money, you get another person/company to do another poll, ranking, or whatever you want to call it....you get different numbers and/or another opinion.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,252,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Jeez, I'm NOT talking about nimbyism, or resistance to change. You're just a one note wonder with blinders on, completely unable to see the big picture.

I hope one day you grow up and develop a sense of self that doesn't depend on how Greensboro compares to Raleigh or Charlotte.
The truth of the matter is that we compare because we are in competition for good jobs, it's not hard to understand Greensboro isn't in a bubble. Any city looking to attract more high paying jobs are obviously going to look at how successful cities have done it. It's no different from Charlotte comparing itself to Atlanta.

But everytime a company with high paying jobs moves to Charlotte or Raleigh, that's one less company that might have come here.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-11-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 03:54 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,172,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you want to live in a larger, faster-growing metro area that you feel is more progressive in terms of growth and development, just move to the Triangle or Charlotte. Otherwise, you're just going to be wishing your life away staying in the Triad. Or better yet, get involved in local politics or civic organizations and do your part to try and spur some of that growth you want to see happen locally. Otherwise I don't see how you're doing yourself any favors by staying in Greensboro if all you're going to do is complain and remain frustrated because it's not growing like gangbusters.
You make way too much sense to be posting in this thread and on this topic. Don't ya think?

Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Call it a poll, a ranking, or whatever you want, but that information is: brought to you by that person or company conducting that “study.” My point is simply, I would bet money, you get another person/company to do another poll, ranking, or whatever you want to call it....you get different numbers and/or another opinion.
Actually that list corresponds pretty well with MSA population and job/ GDP growth rates by themselves. I was actually somewhat surprised to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point