Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times

Advertisements

Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham were the only NC cities to crack the top 20.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem are within the top 100...not really anything to brag about unless they are in the top 20 but it does show how far the Triad has to go.

Greensboro ranking 63 and Winston-Salem ranking even further behind at 74.

Raleigh placed 3rd in the nation. Charlotte placed 13th and Durham placed 16th.

With all the great things happening in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem, there is something keeping these two cities from getting over that hump despite all efforts.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...nc-cities.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
G'boro and Winston don't need to get over any "hump". They're doing just fine. Let Charlotte and Raleigh grow at any cost. The Triad is much more livable, has a better COL and QOL, and better traffic. Thats just another clickbait ranking article from a second rate website. <yawn>

Old 08-10-2018, 11:28 PM

239 posts, read 306,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
G'boro and Winston don't need to get over any "hump". They're doing just fine. Let Charlotte and Raleigh grow at any cost. The Triad is much more livable, has a better COL and QOL, and better traffic. Thats just another clickbait ranking article from a second rate website. <yawn>
But how do you explain durham in the top 20? They must be doing something right soon they will be the 3rd best city in nc unfortunately. Seems like Winston and Greensboro are to busy competing while Durham and Raleigh work together to grow and compete with Charlotte.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
But how do you explain durham in the top 20? They must be doing something right soon they will be the 3rd best city in nc unfortunately. Seems like Winston and Greensboro are to busy competing while Durham and Raleigh work together to grow and compete with Charlotte.
Never heard of RTP??? Raleigh and Durham literally share the region's largest economic engine. It's not rocket science or some big mystery.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-11-2018 at 12:48 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 AM

I can't understand why Greensboro and Winston-Salem can't seem to get it together. Great things are happening in the downtowns. Greensboro has had some success reeling in companies like Honda Jet. Winston-Salem can't seem to get its innovation quarter going. It's been over 20 years when it was called Piedmont Triad Research Park and not a lot of progress in over 20 years. In 20 years RTP went from basically nothing to one of America's largest research parks. What's going on? What does the Triad have to do to elevate itself on the same level as at least the Triangle? Everything seems to be falling in place for rapid growth but it's not happening.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
You're conflating (wrongly, imo) population growth with being "best". Durham may pass G'boro as the state's third most populous city, but that doesn't mean its better. Personally, I'd much prefer to live in G'boro or W-S instead of Durham.

And as noted, what Durham is "doing" is randomly and coincidentally hosting RTP. Most of it is physically located in Durham County, not Wake. Plus Duke University and its huge medical center.

How are Durham and Raleigh working together? Please provide some specific, large scale examples.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I can't understand why Greensboro and Winston-Salem can't seem to get it together. Great things are happening in the downtowns. Greensboro has had some success reeling in companies like Honda Jet. Winston-Salem can't seem to get its innovation quarter going. It's been over 20 years when it was called Piedmont Triad Research Park and not a lot of progress in over 20 years. In 20 years RTP went from basically nothing to one of America's largest research parks. What's going on? What does the Triad have to do to elevate itself on the same level as at least the Triangle? Everything seems to be falling in place for rapid growth but it's not happening.
You're contradicting yourself. You start out by saying G'boro and W-S can't get it together, then you correctly point out how both downtowns have great things happening, mention Honda Jet, but then you go off the rails.

W-S is having very good success with its Innovation Quarter. It contains almost 2 million square feet of space and 4,000 jobs. A recent article I posted about in another thread points out downtown W-S is in the midst of an unprecedented housing boom. IQ was never meant to be on the scale of RTP. Its a small, urban research park. And its doing very well.

Other companies like Publix and Amazon are making big investments and bringing jobs to the area.

The reality is that the Triad, for the most part, doesn't want rapid growth. And thats ok. There's nothing wrong with that...in fact, its a good thing. Many people who live there, if not most people, agree with that.

Quit worrying about Charlotte and the Triangle, and stop creating a false narrative that the Triad has to "keep up" with them, or is somehow inferior to them. That shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to find the triad's own place, and be the best it can be. Which is, by and large, exactly whats happening. Let Charlotte be Charlotte, let Raleigh be Raleigh. Be Greensboro, be Winston-Salem, be High Point. Focus on the beautiful neighborhoods, great parks, vibrant downtowns, lower COL, better traffic. Its all good.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. You start out by saying G'boro and W-S can't get it together, then you correctly point out how both downtowns have great things happening, mention Honda Jet, but then you go off the rails.

W-S is having very good success with its Innovation Quarter. It contains almost 2 million square feet of space and 4,000 jobs. A recent article I posted about in another thread points out downtown W-S is in the midst of an unprecedented housing boom. IQ was never meant to be on the scale of RTP. Its a small, urban research park. And its doing very well.

Other companies like Publix and Amazon are making big investments and bringing jobs to the area.

The reality is that the Triad, for the most part, doesn't want rapid growth. And thats ok. There's nothing wrong with that...in fact, its a good thing. Many people who live there, if not most people, agree with that.

Quit worrying about Charlotte and the Triangle, and stop creating a false narrative that the Triad has to "keep up" with them, or is somehow inferior to them. That shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to find the triad's own place, and be the best it can be. Which is, by and large, exactly whats happening. Let Charlotte be Charlotte, let Raleigh be Raleigh. Be Greensboro, be Winston-Salem, be High Point. Focus on the beautiful neighborhoods, great parks, vibrant downtowns, lower COL, better traffic. Its all good.
Not contradicting myself. As I stated some progress has been made but we should be much further. Compared to the success of RTP, nothing much has happened at the Innovation Quarter overy the past 20 years. 2 million square ft sounds like a lot but it's not considering its been over 20 years. The Innovation Quarter was projected to be built out by now. Also where are the IBMs? Companies of that size and stature still have not moved to the Innovation Quarter. Personally I believe that the Triad should strive to be on the same footing as Charlotte and the Triangle. Being just satisfied as we are is the reason this area has struggled. If we don't grow we get left behind. I don't want to see our area become one of the top places in the country for retirees.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-11-2018 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Not contradicting myself. As I stated some progress has been made but we should be much further. Compared to the success of RTP, nothing much has happened at the Innovation Quarter overy the past 20 years. 2 million square ft sounds like a lot but it's not considering its been over 20 years. The Innovation Quarter was projected to be built out by now. Also where are the IBMs? Companies of that size and stature still have not moved to the Innovation Quarter. Personally I believe that the Triad should strive to be on the same footing as Charlotte and the Triangle. Being just satisfied as we are is the reason this area has struggled. Ifor we don't grow we get left behind. I don't want to see are area become one of the top places in the country for retirees.
IQ isn't going to attract the IBMs of the world. Its a small, urban research park. And just because it hasn't met YOUR expectations doesn't mean its not a success.

You just want growth for growths sake. Thats absurd.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
IQ isn't going to attract the IBMs of the world. Its a small, urban research park. And just because it hasn't met YOUR expectations doesn't mean its not a success.

You just want growth for growths sake. Thats absurd.
No not just for the sake of growth but we need the kind of high paying jobs that we are seeing in Charlotte and Raleigh. I'd like to see our area become more cosmopolitan, urban and exciting. A place where college students and young professionals want to stay and not move away when they graduate or move away for greener pastures. The young people are our future and if we don't make this area attractive for them, The Triad's population is going to get older and older. I had a neighbor tell me last week, who is a young professional from the DC area tell me he's moving because there are no job opportunities here. That's a little anecdotal evidence that we need to do better.

Also the Innovation Quarter is not too small for companies like that. They can set up smaller operations. Plus there are probably hundreds of acres set aside for expanding the quarter.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-11-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point