Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,412,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
How are any of these any different:

Accenture
Xerox
Kodak
Wachovia
Pantone
Truist
Sony
Google
Ikea
Verizon
Nokia

^ None of these words really mean anything to people but after enough advertising, marketing, and delivering quality products we all think "Kodak" or "Verizon" is a word and have associations with these made up terms towards the brand.
Well, those examples aren't all the same. Nokia and Wachovia are the names of places important to the brands, and IKEA is an acronym. Google is just a misspelled form of googol (one followed by 100 zeroes) which was chosen specifically to indicate the nearly-limitless potential of a web search (or something like that).

Some of them are combinations of words--"Accent on the Future," "Veritas+Horizon," "sonus+sonny(weirdly)."

Some are straight-up made-up words, as far as I know. "Kodak," for instance. Maybe "Pantone" too. "Xerox" is interesting because it's based on the term "xerography," from the greek for "dry writing," but that word was also made up by the folks at Xerox. But at least they built a foundation for their corporate name.

I'm not exactly sure which thing "Truist" is going for. Is it "trust" with an i thrown in? Is it short for "altruist"? Is it supposed to suggest that they are the "truest," the "most true"?

There are lots of company names that are far more ridiculous. I used to work in tech, and you did that industry a favor by picking examples like Google and Accenture. Some of them are awful. There's even a website where you can buy company names and logos if you're looking to rebrand. "Digitegrity." "Sysqo." "Simplatec." "Tronomy." woof. https://novanym.com/collections/soft...business-names

Truist isn't the worst name I ever heard, but it's not very satisfying or meaningful. I cringe when I say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,651,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
How are any of these any different:

Accenture
Xerox
Kodak
Wachovia
Pantone
Truist
Sony
Google
Ikea
Verizon
Nokia

^ None of these words really mean anything to people but after enough advertising, marketing, and delivering quality products we all think "Kodak" or "Verizon" is a word and have associations with these made up terms towards the brand.
I don't like some of those names too. Whats your point?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I don't like some of those names too. Whats your point?
But you probably don't have a visceral reaction to them or even think much about them at all since they've been around for a while. I think that's his point: folks will eventually get used to the name.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,967,169 times
So then the Mortgage HQ here will officialy be called Truist Mortgage?

I'm confused.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But you probably don't have a visceral reaction to them or even think much about them at all since they've been around for a while. I think that's his point: folks will eventually get used to the name.
I never said people wouldn't get used to the name, I just said I don't like it.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
So then the Mortgage HQ here will officialy be called Truist Mortgage?

I'm confused.
What else would it be called?

Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,249,635 times
And the drama begins..... Truliant Federal Credit Union is suing Truist because Truliant has a number of trademarks with the prefix TRU. Truliant is mainly in Winston-Salem but has branches in Greensboro and High Point. Interesting because I bank at both Truliant and BB&T.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/truli..._3k4ATku5bYQVc

Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,967,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
And the drama begins..... Truliant Federal Credit Union is suing Truist because Truliant has a number of trademarks with the prefix TRU. Truliant is mainly in Winston-Salem but has branches in Greensboro and High Point. Interesting because I bank at both Truliant and BB&T.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/truli..._3k4ATku5bYQVc
you should have seen this coming with a name like truist..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point