Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Raleigh (too big for me now) but lived in W-S for a combined 20+ years (3 different stays). We now live in the northwest mtns of NC (I'm a mtn gal at heart) but if we ever had to leave, Winston-Salem is my top choice. It's a very livable city... offers all anybody needs but isn't crazy crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
There are options. It's a town that's what you make of it.
I agree 100%. For a city of its size, W-S offers an excellent choice of performing and visual arts, dining, shopping, recreation, medical/healthcare, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Winters are dreary. Really dreary. This is the second day of sun we have had in about 2 weeks and it's supposed to be cloudy again tomorrow. We have been just drenched with rain in 2018 and so far this year in 2019. I would imagine with Hurricane Florence we have had more rain for 2018 than just about anywhere else in the country. Wilmington got over 100 inches. Winston-Salem had over 60 inches of rain I believe.
Just quoting myself to say that it looks like we'll get a sunny day again next Weds in 7 days.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Just quoting myself to say that it looks like we'll get a sunny day again next Weds in 7 days.
Winston-Salem averages 216 sunny days per year. The national average is 205. W-S is hardly "dreary".

You don't even live in W-S.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM

I said "winters are dreary" not the whole year. Look:
Quote:
Winters are dreary.
See?? Winters are dreary, IMO, and this has been an exceptionally dreary one. For someone coming from California and Florida it might be a surprise. If they were coming from Minnesota or Maine, they'd probably think it was great.

FYI, Wunderground is a good resource for weather data. There have been 9 "clear" or "mostly sunny" days this month in Winston-Salem. The other 19 days have been cloudy, partly cloudy, rain, thunderstorms. https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...calwx_calendar

Personally I feel like I might need to build a moat around my house if this keeps up. We haven't dried out in months.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 69,915 times
Eh not really a Winston-Salem issue and this winter has been very atypical. Point being most every metro in the Carolinas has been “dreary” this winter as the rainfall totals have been much higher than normal. Winters here are pretty mild overall and the good news is if you come from So Cal or Florida then they are fairly easy to adapt to because they are relatively short. Of course if a primary reason you’re moving somewhere is to have Florida type weather then nowhere in N.C. is a good fit.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I said "winters are dreary" not the whole year. Look:

See?? Winters are dreary, IMO, and this has been an exceptionally dreary one. For someone coming from California and Florida it might be a surprise. If they were coming from Minnesota or Maine, they'd probably think it was great.

FYI, Wunderground is a good resource for weather data. There have been 9 "clear" or "mostly sunny" days this month in Winston-Salem. The other 19 days have been cloudy, partly cloudy, rain, thunderstorms. https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...calwx_calendar

Personally I feel like I might need to build a moat around my house if this keeps up. We haven't dried out in months.
Ok, February of 2019 has a had some cloudy days. W-S isn't "dreary" in winter. Or any other season.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
[quote=UnderTheLiveOaks;54531972]Sure. There are very conservative Evangelicals in Winston-Salem (and throughout NC) that might rub you the wrong way if you aren't from that background.

---------

You better believe it! WS is in the middle of a Bible-belt state, OP. Californians will have a true culture punch if moving here. There are many, many churches in the area with a majority strict, self righteous members.
They lurk everywhere, as teachers, travel agents, your next door neighbors. Just a heads up...I'd never live there again.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:38 PM

[quote=greatblueheron;54561045]
Quote:
Sure. There are very conservative Evangelicals in Winston-Salem (and throughout NC) that might rub you the wrong way if you aren't from that background.

---------

You better believe it! WS is in the middle of a Bible-belt state, OP. Californians will have a true culture punch if moving here. There are many, many churches in the area with a majority strict, self righteous members.
They lurk everywhere, as teachers, travel agents, your next door neighbors. Just a heads up...I'd never live there again.
W-S is no different in that regard than any other similar city such as G'boro, Greenville SC, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. Its not that big of an issue. No one is that pushy.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,400,224 times
[quote=greatblueheron;54561045]
Quote:
Sure. There are very conservative Evangelicals in Winston-Salem (and throughout NC) that might rub you the wrong way if you aren't from that background.

---------

If you stopped reading at that point in my post, you completely missed my point.

There are a wide variety of people in Winston with different viewpoints. It’s no “churchier” than most of the south. My personal social circle mostly ranges from lapsed Episcopalian to culturally Jewish atheist, with lots of other world views in between. I also know some very religious people who are more interested in doing good things than talking about how holy they are.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Ok, February of 2019 has a had some cloudy days. W-S isn't "dreary" in winter. Or any other season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
...most every metro in the Carolinas has been “dreary” this winter as the rainfall totals have been much higher than normal.
Absolutely! And that was my point.

I am a NC Native and I have ALWAYS found NC winters dreary and I dread them every year. The OP is coming from California and Florida, not Minnesota where a 42º rainy day is a harbinger of summer. To me it's just dreary, damp, and cold and I think someone coming from California and Florida might feel the same way. Michiganders might think 50º is shorts weather, but I'm in my flannel jeans and down jacket.

And I swear it sure would be nice to have more than one day in a row w/o rain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point