Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM

200 posts, read 158,457 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the area is like around the intersection of Merritt Drive and Overland Heights in Southwest Greensboro? The Trulia crime map doesn't show it to be a bad area and the street view was fine, but I want to get the opinion of the locals.

If this isn't a recommended area to live in, which areas of Greensboro would be good? I don't want to spend more than $600/mo on rent and being directly on the bus line is important but not mandatory, but I do want to be within the city limits. I'm looking for a large 1br or a 2br apartment, duplex, or even a SFH or mobile home.

I'm also open to Winston-Salem. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM

171 posts, read 160,166 times
I would say check out Colonial Apartments or the company that owns them. As I stayed there while I was in school and it wasn't too bad at all i think the rent $600 for 700 SF place there that is two stories if i can recall. To cover your question i think west market area might be a better fit for pricing crime and overall area lot of stuff to do and on a bus line

Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,435,579 times
I agree. If you won't have a car, the area around Colonial has more stores within walking distance than the Merritt Drive area.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Thank you, both!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
Thank you, both!
Sure!

Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I agree. If you won't have a car, the area around Colonial has more stores within walking distance than the Merritt Drive area.
Thanks, again, but you never actually said what the area around the Merritt Drive/Overland Heights intersection was like. There's a duplex in that area I have my eye on, and I'd much rather just share one wall than live in an apartment complex.

Being disabled, I won't be walking to stores. Being on/near the bus line is important because, in most cities, you have to live within a certain distance of the bus line to use Paratransit services. But, again, the bus line isn't absolutely necessary. When I need to go to the very few places I go, I can budget for Uber/Lyft.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,654,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
Thanks, again, but you never actually said what the area around the Merritt Drive/Overland Heights intersection was like. There's a duplex in that area I have my eye on, and I'd much rather just share one wall than live in an apartment complex.

Being disabled, I won't be walking to stores. Being on/near the bus line is important because, in most cities, you have to live within a certain distance of the bus line to use Paratransit services. But, again, the bus line isn't absolutely necessary. When I need to go to the very few places I go, I can budget for Uber/Lyft.
I think they're trying to say that the area isn't the best. Here's a little bit on what that area has had to deal with:

https://www.greensboro.com/news/resi...8b94f2d1c.html

Maybe it has calmed down (?) since this story came out (or maybe not), but this gives you some feel for why people aren't saying "go for it!" To be honest at $600 maximum in Greensboro, that doesn't give you a whole lot of options for areas that are super quiet and low-crime, and of course random crime can happen anywhere, but the area around West Market Street is probably a bit calmer than the area around Merritt Drive and Overland Heights. Plus, even though the Merritt Drive location is on the bus route there aren't as many amenities, such as grocery shopping that are as close by as the suggestions you've been given on West Market Street. Also, right next to Colonial on West Market Street is Autumn Trace, which are within your budget (for a 1 bedroom) and single-story so you wouldn't have someone above or below you and you may be able to get an end unit which would be like a duplex. Also, the bus route runs along W. Market St. a few blocks away. $600 is a hard price point for a 2 bedroom or even a large 1 bedroom.

https://www.rentautumntrace.com/floo...ne-bath-garden

Last edited by Jowel; 05-13-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I think they're trying to say that the area isn't the best. Here's a little bit on what that area has had to deal with:

https://www.greensboro.com/news/resi...8b94f2d1c.html

Maybe it has calmed down (?) since this story came out (or maybe not), but this gives you some feel for why people aren't saying "go for it!" To be honest at $600 maximum in Greensboro, that doesn't give you a whole lot of options for areas that are super quiet and low-crime, and of course random crime can happen anywhere, but the area around West Market Street is probably a bit calmer than the area around Merritt Drive and Overland Heights. Plus, even though the Merritt Drive location is on the bus route there aren't as many amenities, such as grocery shopping that are as close by as the suggestions you've been given on West Market Street. Also, right next to Colonial on West Market Street is Autumn Trace, which are within your budget (for a 1 bedroom) and single-story so you wouldn't have someone above or below you and you may be able to get an end unit which would be like a duplex. Also, the bus route runs along W. Market St. a few blocks away. $600 is a hard price point for a 2 bedroom or even a large 1 bedroom.

https://www.rentautumntrace.com/floo...ne-bath-garden
Thank you, Jowel! I thought they *might* have been trying to politely steer me away from the Merritt Drive area but didn't want to assume, LOL. Oh, and I need to say that I don't need a super quiet and low crime area. I just need a regular, "decent" neighborhood. Thanks, again! I'll check out those links.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Jowel gave you good advice.

The fact is, I don't know much about the Merritt Drive area, since I have no reason to drive through there. I do know it's residential. The Market Street area mentioned is closer in and more convenient. Greensboro is car centric, so having shopping close by is desirable, to my mind.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,034 times
I know this is a bit old, but I would definitely recommend you look elsewhere, safety and amenities-wise. That is an area that I have driven through thousands of times, and it's not an area I would usually choose to stop. This is a neighborhood that may become up-and-coming in a decade or so, if the Gate City Blvd development plans are continued, but it's not at that point yet.

There are tons of apartment complexes along West Market (as suggested above) and West Friendly. You may be able to find something in your price range up there. In general, West and North Greensboro are going to have less crime. You might also check the apartments by Lindley Park off of Market. Not sure what their management situation is now, but it's an extremely safe neighborhood. The buildings are older though, so you may not get the same square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point