Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 04:49 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,235,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
All cities have parks and neighborhoods. That doesn't mean they are similar.
I meant the neighborhoods and parks are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 AM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I meant the neighborhoods and parks are similar.
Yes, they both have houses and trees. Exactly the same.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:40 AM

97 posts, read 71,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
This is like saying dogs are similar to cats.

They both are furry animals that walk on four legs. They both are popular pets. That's about where the similarities end.
You made some good points in the post before this one, but then you had to throw in some pointless snark that does nothing but poison the tone of the conversation.

Obviously, Raleigh is much bigger and is the state capital. It is growing faster, has more high-paying white collar jobs, and has found and is thriving in its niche in the 21st century economy. These are certainly major differentiators with Greensboro.

But, I think gsoboi78 has a good point in comparing the physical "feel" of the two cities. North Raleigh is very similar to northwest Greensboro - a broad swath of established, higher-end neighborhoods. Winston doesn't have any comparable area, and I don't think Durham does either. Greensboro and Raleigh also both have several well-preserved historic neighborhoods immediately surrounding the downtown, as well as intact blocks of historic buildings in the downtown core. So, I don't think the physical comparison of the two cities is off-base.

Old 11-12-2020, 07:56 AM

749 posts, read 1,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
You made some good points in the post before this one, but then you had to throw in some pointless snark that does nothing but poison the tone of the conversation.

Obviously, Raleigh is much bigger and is the state capital. It is growing faster, has more high-paying white collar jobs, and has found and is thriving in its niche in the 21st century economy. These are certainly major differentiators with Greensboro.

But, I think gsoboi78 has a good point in comparing the physical "feel" of the two cities. North Raleigh is very similar to northwest Greensboro - a broad swath of established, higher-end neighborhoods. Winston doesn't have any comparable area, and I don't think Durham does either. Greensboro and Raleigh also both have several well-preserved historic neighborhoods immediately surrounding the downtown, as well as intact blocks of historic buildings in the downtown core. So, I don't think the physical comparison of the two cities is off-base.
It absolutely does. The Northwest quadrant of Winston is full of well established neighborhoods. Buena Vista is probably one of the premiers of the state.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
It absolutely does. The Northwest quadrant of Winston is full of well established neighborhoods. Buena Vista is probably one of the premiers of the state.
Oh, Winston definitely has some very nice neighborhoods. I just mean that my impression of them (lifelong Greensboro resident except for 5 years in Winston and 4 years in Raleigh) is that each neighborhood feels more like an isolated pocket rather than a contiguous whole. I think topography plays a part in this, as well as the histories of Winston and Salem as separate towns.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:15 AM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Yes, the notion that W-S lacks such as area is laughable. As noted upthread, much of this discussion is being promulgated by people with either no actual knowledge, or an agenda to push.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 AM

80 posts, read 69,885 times
Seriously. Where do these people get their information from? Greensboro has a broad swath of established higher end neighborhoods and Winston doesn’t? Good lord. This board is infested with GSO homers that are obsessed with comparing their city with others and constantly coming up with terrible takes to support some notion of hometown exceptionalism.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Seriously. Where do these people get their information from? Greensboro has a broad swath of established higher end neighborhoods and Winston doesn’t? Good lord. This board is infested with GSO homers that are obsessed with comparing their city with others and constantly coming up with terrible takes to support some notion of hometown exceptionalism.
Read what I just posted above. I did not say any of those things. And, the OP literally asked for comparisons, so...?

Old 11-12-2020, 08:31 AM

80 posts, read 69,885 times
You literally said Greensboro has a broad swath of established higher end neighborhoods and Winston doesn’t have a comparable area. It’s exactly what you said and it’s a terrible take.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:52 AM

I said that in my experience, Greensboro's neighborhoods feel more interconnected, while Winston's feel somewhat more isolated from each other. And my point was to compare Greensboro in that way to Raleigh.

And just so you won't think I'm a homer, here are a few things I love about Winston (that Greensboro doesn't have):
- Older history - the entire Old Salem area (as well as many of the areas out in the country) has character to it that is different than anywhere else in the area.
- Industrial character - the IQ area is fabulous.
- Topography - I love the almost mountainous feel you get in some parts of the city. I also love how you can be driving around, pop up over a hill, and all of a sudden have Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock right in front of you.

The truth is, Greensboro shouldn't pit itself against Winston, nor should the Triad be competing with the Traingle or Raleigh with Charlotte. Instead, the entire urban Piedmont needs to think of itself as a single region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point