Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
You made some good points in the post before this one, but then you had to throw in some pointless snark that does nothing but poison the tone of the conversation.

Obviously, Raleigh is much bigger and is the state capital. It is growing faster, has more high-paying white collar jobs, and has found and is thriving in its niche in the 21st century economy. These are certainly major differentiators with Greensboro.

But, I think gsoboi78 has a good point in comparing the physical "feel" of the two cities. North Raleigh is very similar to northwest Greensboro - a broad swath of established, higher-end neighborhoods. Winston doesn't have any comparable area, and I don't think Durham does either. Greensboro and Raleigh also both have several well-preserved historic neighborhoods immediately surrounding the downtown, as well as intact blocks of historic buildings in the downtown core. So, I don't think the physical comparison of the two cities is off-base.
Comparing well-preserved historic and higher-end neighborhoods between cities is not the same as saying that two cities are very similar overall just based on "neighborhoods and parks."

When making comparisons, please be specific about what is being compared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Yes, the notion that W-S lacks such as area is laughable. As noted upthread, much of this discussion is being promulgated by people with either no actual knowledge, or an agenda to push.
Precisely.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Read what I just posted above. I did not say any of those things. And, the OP literally asked for comparisons, so...?
For the record, this is what you said verbatim:

North Raleigh is very similar to northwest Greensboro - a broad swath of established, higher-end neighborhoods. Winston doesn't have any comparable area, and I don't think Durham does either.

To reiterate what others have said, it's clear that you have little to no true knowledge of these cities and the comprehensive layout of neighborhoods. Your posts indicate that.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I said that in my experience, Greensboro's neighborhoods feel more interconnected, while Winston's feel somewhat more isolated from each other. And my point was to compare Greensboro in that way to Raleigh.

And just so you won't think I'm a homer, here are a few things I love about Winston (that Greensboro doesn't have):
- Older history - the entire Old Salem area (as well as many of the areas out in the country) has character to it that is different than anywhere else in the area.
- Industrial character - the IQ area is fabulous.
- Topography - I love the almost mountainous feel you get in some parts of the city. I also love how you can be driving around, pop up over a hill, and all of a sudden have Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock right in front of you.

The truth is, Greensboro shouldn't pit itself against Winston, nor should the Triad be competing with the Traingle or Raleigh with Charlotte. Instead, the entire urban Piedmont needs to think of itself as a single region.
Yes, of course. Why don't we think of the entire state as one region so the less successful areas can appear to be on par with the more successful metros.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:29 AM

405 posts, read 318,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Yes, of course. Why don't we think of the entire state as one region so the less successful areas can appear to be on par with the more successful metros.

It seems to me that pivoting from the traditional longtime “Piedmont Triad” concept to the newly formed “Carolina Core” marketing concept may be a first attempt to do just that. The Carolina Core makes no sense, as it encompasses too much diverse geography and is very confusing.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:34 AM

97 posts, read 71,485 times
Quote:
it's clear that you have little to no true knowledge of these cities and the comprehensive layout of neighborhoods
Since you apparently won't read my multiple follow-up posts that clarify and expand what I meant, I suppose I must accept this judgment and submit to your superior wisdom and experience.

Quote:
Again with the pointless snark instead of actually discussing my comment. My point is that on a national or global scale, NC's cities are not really competing with each other. Rather, they compete against other, larger metro areas around the country. For instance, the combined population of the Triangle, Charlotte, and Triad is roughly equal to that of metro Atlanta. I believe that a coordinated approach to issues such as transportation, land use, and economic development would benefit all of the urban Piedmont, as each city has its own unique strengths. If you believe otherwise, please explain why.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
It seems to me that pivoting from the traditional longtime “Piedmont Triad” concept to the newly formed “Carolina Core” marketing concept may be a first attempt to do just that. The Carolina Core makes no sense, as it encompasses too much diverse geography and is very confusing.
Just like the whole "Triad" moniker. Why would the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High-Point region want to coin itself as the Triad, when the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill region had already adopted the "Triangle" moniker. It's very confusing for people not familiar enough with the state and leads me to believe that this confusion is the desired result.

The same is true for that HOT (Heart of Triad) concept that was floated years ago. Seems to be a feeble attempt to create an RTP type economic driver that went nowhere.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Since you apparently won't read my multiple follow-up posts that clarify and expand what I meant, I suppose I must accept this judgment and submit to your superior wisdom and experience.

Again with the pointless snark instead of actually discussing my comment. My point is that on a national or global scale, NC's cities are not really competing with each other. Rather, they compete against other, larger metro areas around the country. For instance, the combined population of the Triangle, Charlotte, and Triad is roughly equal to that of metro Atlanta. I believe that a coordinated approach to issues such as transportation, land use, and economic development would benefit all of the urban Piedmont, as each city has its own unique strengths. If you believe otherwise, please explain why.
Well instead of making ambiguous statements, such as Instead, the entire urban Piedmont needs to think of itself as a single region., maybe you should be more detailed like you did above.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
I took a look at this Carolina Core website, and it's clear that the aim and hopes of this concept is to lure talent and opportunities away from the Triangle and Charlotte.

If you look at the footprint of this Carolina Core, it encompasses an area that comes close enough to the Triangle and Charlotte without actually including the Triangle nor Charlotte. That appears to be by design.

For all the talk of oneness amongst the larger NC metros, this Carolina Core BS flies in the face of that.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:47 AM

80 posts, read 69,885 times
Are you certain that the Triangle moniker was coined prior to the Triad? I honestly don’t know for sure but I’m over 50 and the GSO-WS-HP area has been called the Triad for my entire life. I don’t think it’s in any kind of response to the RDU area being called the Triangle and certainly not in reaction to any kind of recent success. Now Heart of Triad and Carolina Core are recent appellations that I agree are meaningless and even confusing, similar to when the airport floated that abomination of a name change “Central North Carolina International Airport”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point