Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 11:30 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Are you certain that the Triangle moniker was coined prior to the Triad? I honestly don’t know for sure but I’m over 50 and the GSO-WS-HP area has been called the Triad for my entire life. I don’t think it’s in any kind of response to the RDU area being called the Triangle and certainly not in reaction to any kind of recent success. Now Heart of Triad and Carolina Core are recent appellations that I agree are meaningless and even confusing, similar to when the airport floated that abomination of a name change “Central North Carolina International Airport”.
Don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm not trying to be unjustly harsh on the Triad. These are just basic questions that I have.

I actually think that W-S is making positive strides to help that city grow and reinvent itself in a constructive way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 01:20 PM

771 posts, read 628,892 times
Are there any cities outside of North Carolina that remind you all of Winston-Salem or Greensboro? I'm just asking out of curiosity, not to prove that certain cities are "better" than others.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Are you certain that the Triangle moniker was coined prior to the Triad? I honestly don’t know for sure but I’m over 50 and the GSO-WS-HP area has been called the Triad for my entire life. I don’t think it’s in any kind of response to the RDU area being called the Triangle and certainly not in reaction to any kind of recent success. Now Heart of Triad and Carolina Core are recent appellations that I agree are meaningless and even confusing, similar to when the airport floated that abomination of a name change “Central North Carolina International Airport”.
The Research Triangle name originated in the 1950s. I am not sure of the actual date, but it was that decade.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:20 PM

97 posts, read 71,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Are there any cities outside of North Carolina that remind you all of Winston-Salem or Greensboro? I'm just asking out of curiosity, not to prove that certain cities are "better" than others.
If nothing else, 5 pages of conversation has proven that this is a difficult question! IMO, once you move beyond the states that immediately border NC, the culture is too different (since that was one of your original criteria). So really, it boils down to "what are the mid-size cities in GA, SC, VA, and TN"? It's not a long list.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:27 PM

405 posts, read 318,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Research Triangle name originated in the 1950s. I am not sure of the actual date, but it was that decade.

According to the Piedmont Triad Regional Council's website, the Piedmont Triad Planning Region was initially formed as an eleven county area in 1968, also known as the Piedmont Triad Council of Governments. I guess that’s when the term “Piedmont Triad” was first created and used.

It would be difficult to identify cities outside of NC which are close to Greensboro and Winston-Salem demographically, because most cities are unique.

Last edited by NC Observer; 11-12-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
According to the Piedmont Triad Regional Council's website, the Piedmont Triad Planning Region was initially formed as an eleven county area in 1968, also known as the Piedmont Triad Council of Governments. I guess that’s when the term “Piedmont Triad” was first created and used.

It would be difficult to identify cities outside of NC which are close to Greensboro and Winston-Salem demographically, because most cities are unique.
I suspect that the point of this thread is not to discuss cities that reasonably compare to Greensboro or W-S. That's just a red herring.

If you look closely at the posts, the focus has been exclusively on Raleigh and Durham. There has been no mention of any other potentially comparable cities, not by the OP nor by the GSO homers. That should give you a clue as to why this thread exists.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 PM

771 posts, read 628,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I suspect that the point of this thread is not to discuss cities that reasonably compare to Greensboro or W-S. That's just a red herring.

If you look closely at the posts, the focus has been exclusively on Raleigh and Durham. There has been no mention of any other potentially comparable cities, not by the OP nor by the GSO homers. That should give you a clue as to why this thread exists.
I'll throw out some potentially comparable cities outside of North Carolina, then.

Greenville, S.C. (potentially similar to Greensboro)

Richmond, VA (potentially similar to Winston-Salem)

Thoughts?

Old 11-12-2020, 10:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,963,533 times
Lexington Kentucky is very similar to W-S

Old 11-13-2020, 04:02 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I'd say Raleigh is a bigger version of Greensboro and Durham is a slightly bigger version of Winston-Salem. Charlotte is in its own league. Nothing in the state comparable to Charlotte.
Actually I find Raleigh and Greensboro comparable to Charlotte in more than a few ways.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:13 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I'll throw out some potentially comparable cities outside of North Carolina, then.

Greenville, S.C. (potentially similar to Greensboro)

Richmond, VA (potentially similar to Winston-Salem)

Thoughts?
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point