Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 12:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,612,211 times

Advertisements

A couple of cities that come to mind are Knoxville and Columbia. I'm thinking in terms of cities that are comfortable, low cost places to live without a lot of negatives, but also don't have a lot of hype and fast growth.

I pulled up several other cities from the urban area list and Lexington is one of them but I'll wait to see if this thread stays active before I go to the trouble of pulling up the list again.

3... 2... 1....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 01:58 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I do not see this thread as an exercise in one upping, but believe whatever you’d like.
One upping or a means of compensating or whatever. You even appeared dismissive of the very real concept of cities using other, typically larger, cities as benchmarks of progress with your earlier Charlotte/Atlanta quip. Why the chips on your shoulder when it comes to this particular topic, I have no idea. Are you personally offended that Greensboro city/Triad leaders "looks up" to Raleigh/the Triangle or use it as a measuring stick for progress or a source of attainable economic/QOL goals?

Old 11-15-2020, 05:05 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,169,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
One upping or a means of compensating or whatever. You even appeared dismissive of the very real concept of cities using other, typically larger, cities as benchmarks of progress with your earlier Charlotte/Atlanta quip. Why the chips on your shoulder when it comes to this particular topic, I have no idea. Are you personally offended that Greensboro city/Triad leaders "looks up" to Raleigh/the Triangle or use it as a measuring stick for progress or a source of attainable economic/QOL goals?
You sound like a used car salesman.

If you care to go back and read my previous posts carefully, and analyze what has been already stated, then maybe you can answer your own questions.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You sound like a used car salesman.

If you care to go back and read my previous posts carefully, and analyze what has been already stated, then maybe you can answer your own questions.
They read like customer complaints submitted to the BBB and nobody needs to torture themselves with a second read to get the gist.

My memory is still pretty strong though so I'll just say that the post asserting every city's uniqueness to justify this thread's uselessness and the one attmepting to establish valid parameters for criteria for comparison purposes originated from the same source. A facade of reason doesn't work too well on a call for censorship based on nothing more than emotions.

I'm not even sure if this could be regarded as a hill of any sort so whether it's worth dying on isn't a sentiment to be pondered.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,363,749 times
Wikipedia has a nice list of cities by population. You can reorder it by growth, too. I agree that the cities most similar to Winston-Salem are all in NC, but outside of NC I think the suggestion of Lexington KY is pretty good. Wondering about Huntsville AL, too, and I could see the comparison to Knoxville although it is a good bit smaller than W-S. Chattanooga is another TN city that might have some similarities to W-S, just based on population and growth. Wondering about Greenville SC too. It has that sister-city thing going on with Spartanburg similar to W-S and Gboro and is close to the mountains.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:03 PM

771 posts, read 630,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wikipedia has a nice list of cities by population. You can reorder it by growth, too. I agree that the cities most similar to Winston-Salem are all in NC, but outside of NC I think the suggestion of Lexington KY is pretty good. Wondering about Huntsville AL, too, and I could see the comparison to Knoxville although it is a good bit smaller than W-S. Chattanooga is another TN city that might have some similarities to W-S, just based on population and growth. Wondering about Greenville SC too. It has that sister-city thing going on with Spartanburg similar to W-S and Gboro and is close to the mountains.
Maybe there are some similarities with Roanoke, too? Although Roanoke is more mountainous and less Piedmont.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:06 AM

Although limited when looking at criteria/parameters, this tool is interesting I've always thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tys-twin.html?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,363,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Maybe there are some similarities with Roanoke, too? Although Roanoke is more mountainous and less Piedmont.
Maybe, but a quick google says that the population of Roanoke is just under 100,000, so Winston is 2.5 times as big.

This is the Wikipedia page I was talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Old 11-17-2020, 11:37 PM

210 posts, read 200,261 times
Winston and Gboro have to be two of the most boring “growing” cities I’ve ever lived in or visited. I grew up in Winston and moved back and forth between the two. I’m currently in CLT.

There is almost nothing to do in either city outside of mostly lackluster bars and/or a couple of breweries. Other than that, both cities feel like suburbs with chains, etc everywhere.

Not necessarily bad places to live but I’ve never been in two cities pushing 300k people population each with less to do. They’re perfect for families or people retiring but if I was somebody potentially single from age 21-34 looking for nightlife, activities, etc. I couldn’t recommend either city. Surprisingly enough, Greensboro is even worse than Winston.

Recently visited Richmond, looks and feels comparable to Winston, slightly less population but felt like there was so much more going on.

Asheville is much smaller than both but yet has some sort of life to it than the triad does not.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:59 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,169,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
Winston and Gboro have to be two of the most boring “growing” cities I’ve ever lived in or visited. I grew up in Winston and moved back and forth between the two. I’m currently in CLT.

There is almost nothing to do in either city outside of mostly lackluster bars and/or a couple of breweries. Other than that, both cities feel like suburbs with chains, etc everywhere.

Not necessarily bad places to live but I’ve never been in two cities pushing 300k people population each with less to do. They’re perfect for families or people retiring but if I was somebody potentially single from age 21-34 looking for nightlife, activities, etc. I couldn’t recommend either city. Surprisingly enough, Greensboro is even worse than Winston.

Recently visited Richmond, looks and feels comparable to Winston, slightly less population but felt like there was so much more going on.

Asheville is much smaller than both but yet has some sort of life to it than the triad does not.
I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 11-18-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point