Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 10:45 AM

185 posts, read 199,121 times

Advertisements

I do not think you'd be happy with Burlington NC, yes its cheaper then the other surrounding cities but it offers nothing.. Basically the saying "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to this city.. chapel city= run down, behind the times and nothing to offer. I feel like Burlington is the place people that are lower income families move too when they get priced out of Greensboro and Durham.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 06:51 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
chapel city= run down

Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,052,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
I do not think you'd be happy with Burlington NC, yes its cheaper then the other surrounding cities but it offers nothing.. Basically the saying "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to this city.. chapel city= run down, behind the times and nothing to offer. I feel like Burlington is the place people that are lower income families move too when they get priced out of Greensboro and Durham.
I think for someone in her situation, it could be a good place to start and get a feel for things (ie: figure out where to work and keeping both options open).

I'm otherwise not familiar with Burlington. Mebane could be another option. My point was that maybe finding something between Greensboro and Raleigh (at least at first) might be the best play here.

Ive always felt that when moving to a new area, rent somewhere first if you can. Buy once you have a better idea of what's in the area and what your situation will look like.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:27 AM

8 posts, read 10,140 times
Thanks all for your input so far.

Yes, I am planning on renting first and then buying once I am more familiar with the area.

I would also rather stay close to Greensboro, because I believe it is a tiny big cooler in the summer than areas more East or South like Raleigh. I am just considering Raleigh as another option, if it turns out Greensboro is really not adviced. But so far I see that it could work out fine.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:44 PM

773 posts, read 645,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelR2014 View Post
Thanks all for your input so far.

Yes, I am planning on renting first and then buying once I am more familiar with the area.

I would also rather stay close to Greensboro, because I believe it is a tiny big cooler in the summer than areas more East or South like Raleigh. I am just considering Raleigh as another option, if it turns out Greensboro is really not adviced. But so far I see that it could work out fine.
Practically, speaking, the difference isn't noticeable. I wouldn't decide based on that.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Yeah, summer temps are really not appreciably different, unless you can feel a big difference between 93 and 91, those were the highs in Raleigh and Greensboro respectively for July 4 2020.

Winter you will notice more frozen stuff in Greensboro than Raleigh.

Last edited by poppydog; 12-26-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-26-2020, 07:48 PM

425 posts, read 418,581 times
Greensboro is a good hub city to live in, and be able to explore in other directions to the other major cities, and also be a few hours away from the mountains. Raleigh IMO is a bit more sprawled and spread out... has more traffic congestion, and the cities to the east of it generally are not touristy places.

Raleigh can feel a bit isolated from the rest of the state in this regard- but as a larger metro there's just more stuff already there too, in terms of shopping and entertainment.

Frankly, I'd advise that someone who is seriously considering both, to just apply to jobs in both. I don't think there's a clear "winner" in the comparison, unless you lean towards a technology / government agency kind of profession... in which case, Raleigh has the edge.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:04 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelR2014 View Post
I currently live in Maryland, but am thinking about moving to North Carolina. The areas I am thinking about are either Greensboro or Raleigh suburbs (Greensboro being my favorite). I am in the middle of my research and, so far, the move makes sense to me on paper, but I have never been to NC so I am looking for advice from people who used to live there or live there now.

I am a middle-aged, single, mostly a stay-in woman with no children and no plans of having any. If I decide to move, I would be looking for a newer, ranch style home with a little yard for my dog and a job in the accounting/finance field (Senior Accountant position is my favorite). I do not have a CPA license, but I have many years of experience in Accounting/Finance (currently working for Johns Hopkins University).

I would greatly appreciate any advice that would help me make a right decision. If possible, please list pros and cons of living in both areas as well as in North Carolina in general.

Thank you in advance for your input.
If you are truly interested in making the "right decision" in deciding between the two areas, you might also want to check out the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary threads, where you can get objective opinions about those other areas from people who actually live there and went through the same selection process. Seeking advice about an area from people who have little to no factual knowledge of those other areas seems to be a waste of time.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 12-27-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-27-2020, 07:18 PM

405 posts, read 317,081 times
Both are great areas (Raleigh and Greensboro), however there would likely be more job opportunities in Raleigh since it is growing so fast. The Raleigh-Durham area is one of the largest Life Sciences hubs in the country, so if you currently work for Johns Hopkins, you could also look at the major universities here, major healthcare systems here or any of the biopharma companies in the area as potential places to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point