Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 02:51 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times

Advertisements

60 plus acre solar farm is coming to Browns Summit outside of Greensboro.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...olar-farm.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 06:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,963,796 times
Great for Guilford county, however.

The majority of Browns summit will continue to be consumed by Greensboro, GSOs city limits have already been pushed up to where reedy fork used to be.

The old sleepy section of Yanceyville Rd where the urban loop yanceyville street intersection is going right off of pisgah and Lee’s chapel road is now squarely inside the city limits of GSO. And will just officially be yanceyville st, that area has been completely transformed.

I suppose it’s only natural, Browns summit is unincorporated and offers a lot of room for GSO to continue its expansion, and has a rather large population for its tiny size due to being essentially a primary suburb of Greensboro.

Do not be surprised if the whole of Browns summit is annexed into the city in the next couple decades.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:10 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post

The majority of Browns summit will continue to be consumed by Greensboro, GSOs city limits have already been pushed up to where reedy fork used to be.

The old sleepy section of Yanceyville Rd where the urban loop yanceyville street intersection is going right off of pisgah and Lee’s chapel road is now squarely inside the city limits of GSO. And will just officially be yanceyville st, that area has been completely transformed.

I suppose it’s only natural, Browns summit is unincorporated and offers a lot of room for GSO to continue its expansion, and has a rather large population for its tiny size due to being essentially a primary suburb of Greensboro.

Do not be surprised if the whole of Browns summit is annexed into the city in the next couple decades.
When Reedy Fork was built, it felt so detached from the rest of Greensboro. Maybe that will change especially with the completion of the urban loop, which is still currently at least a couple years away.

As far as the bolded part, NC annexation law was changed several years ago. In the past, cities could initiate an annexation on their own, whether the residents wanted it or not. Now, a majority of the residents have to approve the annexation or a developer has to request annexation as a condition to receive city services (water, sewer) which they need unless they are building housing on large lots with well and septic tanks or commercial/industrial uses that can manage without city water and sewer (i.e. how Summerfield developed as an example).

By the way, according to the resource below, there are currently 6 solar farms in Guilford County. I'm not familiar with where those are. They are typically in rural areas because of land costs being prohibitive in the city limits of a larger city like Greensboro. I can't think of any that are there currently but I might be missing something.

https://energync.org/wp-content/uplo...elopmentv3.pdf

Last edited by Jowel; 12-30-2020 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 06:24 PM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post

Only if the residents of Browns Summit want to be annexed, as involuntary annexation is no longer legal in NC.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:40 PM

185 posts, read 199,596 times
I bet if annex was still legal without residents consent that Greensboro would grab up High Point and Kernersville.. unless Winston got to kvegas first lol..

Old 12-31-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
I bet if annex was still legal without residents consent that Greensboro would grab up High Point and Kernersville.. unless Winston got to kvegas first lol..
Annexing another incorporated municipality has never been legal or possible.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:18 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Annexing another incorporated municipality has never been legal or possible.
In some states two cities can merge. In fact a city can annex an entire county. Florida has some pretty loose annexation laws. Its the reason Jacksonville has over 900,000 people. At one point that was legal in North Carolina because the towns of Winston and Salem merged to become Winston-Salem.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:42 PM

425 posts, read 419,899 times
Although I don't know the answer - I'd think it's quite likely the legislature would need to OK a merger between existing incorporations. W-S is not the only example, Eden used to be 3 small towns. (Leaksville, Spray, and Draper).

Why are we talking about this?
Topic stray! Topic stray!

Old 12-31-2020, 09:57 PM

648 posts, read 432,568 times
In other words, expensive electricity rates coming... Just wait...

Old 01-01-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In some states two cities can merge. In fact a city can annex an entire county. Florida has some pretty loose annexation laws. Its the reason Jacksonville has over 900,000 people. At one point that was legal in North Carolina because the towns of Winston and Salem merged to become Winston-Salem.
Merger is completely different than annexation. And NC isn't FL.

Last edited by Royal James; 01-01-2021 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point