Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:07 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,163,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I've been here for almost a year now, and "pleasant" isn't the first thought that leaps to mind. Bad roads, bad drivers, bad schools, trash AND crime? Let's take care of the nuts and bolts before "cultural infrastructure".
These are very ubiquitous complaints it seems like; people in Charlotte and Atlanta complain about the same things.

But more to the point, if you've been in Greensboro for almost a year now and don't like it, then you should probably leave as soon as you can before you really start hating it and that's wouldn't be good for you or anyone else.

Quote:
And the first thing we can do for our "parks" is to get the vagrants out of 'em. Good Lord in heaven above, where do they come from?
It's probably the case that they are simply more visible these days since many offices, especially downtown, are still closed and city life hasn't yet returned to normal 100%. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't really be noticed as much when the parks are more frequently used.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:26 AM

860 posts, read 432,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
These are very ubiquitous complaints it seems like; people in Charlotte and Atlanta complain about the same things.

But more to the point, if you've been in Greensboro for almost a year now and don't like it, then you should probably leave as soon as you can before you really start hating it and that's wouldn't be good for you or anyone else.

It's probably the case that they are simply more visible these days since many offices, especially downtown, are still closed and city life hasn't yet returned to normal 100%. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't really be noticed as much when the parks are more frequently used.
I've found that homers in laggard cities invariably gush that theirs is "just like every place else". And offer excuses rather than acknowledgements. I understand, what other defense exists to be offered? Look, I'm not a captive here. I didn't sell my house in Boston. My daughter's attending college in Charlotte for 4 years and I wanted to be nearby. Predictably, She wanted me close, but not too close. She needs her "space" after all. Raleigh was too far and how bad could Greensboro be? There was simply no possible way that I could have predicted how stunted and backward a U.S. city of 300,000 could be in the year 2021. Maybe we can do some work in 4 years and catch up with civilization. If not, we part as friends with no hard feelings. Please understand that my IQ is 147 and my vision is 20/20. I'm not stupid. Or blind. And I've no axe to grind. I'm offering my honest opinions regarding a city that I had very much hoped to be my second home.

Last edited by TunedIn; 03-20-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Says the person who's having a public meltdown over litter.
The very first thing that struck me about Greensboro was how dirty it is. And for me, nothing else yet has risen above this level of detraction. My first thought was that you people ride around throwing Bojangles fast food trash out your car windows. But save a cheeseburger wrapper to stuff up in the window for when a wheel falls off. Good grief!

Old 03-20-2021, 07:53 AM

My observations in Greensboro are that it's the desirable areas which are far more relegated. It's a sprawling city with wide areas of blight. And the charm of Roseanne Barr.

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2021 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:58 AM

And you're dead wrong about a lack of "reputation" for crime. I was flabbergasted from 700 miles away when researching North Carolina. I never would have chanced the move with a family in tow.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:01 AM

What you continually miss, or choose to miss, is that Greensboro offers precious little to "overshadow" it's violent crime rate.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:10 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,076,602 times
Quote:
What you continually miss, or choose to miss, is that Greensboro offers precious little to "overshadow" it's violent crime rate.
What does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

Perhaps another reason this board is so inactive is folks who literally take every opportunity (or simply create them) to trash the city/area.

Greensboro isn't perfect. It's clear you have disdain for the city. But simply repeating the same hyperbole over and over does nothing. Not everyone has the same impressions you do and that doesn't make them or you right/wrong.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:15 AM

Crime is far less of a deterrent to a corporation than an individual. After all, they're necessarily mercenary in their quest for profit and their executives likely reside a safe distance away. My point is simply this: A young professional's aversion to the risk of violent crime is commensurate with the opportunity to turn a buck. Show me a city offering the assurances of neither safety NOR prosperity, and I'll show you an also-ran.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 8,939 times
Quote:
I've found that homers in laggard cities invariably gush that theirs is "just like every place else". And offer excuses rather than acknowledgements. I understand, what other defense exists to be offered? Look, I'm not a captive here. I didn't sell my house in Boston. My daughter's attending college in Charlotte for 4 years and I wanted to be nearby. Predictably, She wanted me close, but not too close. She needs her "space" after all. Raleigh was too far and how bad could Greensboro be? There was simply no possible way that I could have predicted how stunted and backward a U.S. city of 300,000 could be in the year 2021. Maybe we can do some work in 4 years and catch up with civilization. If not, we part as friends with no hard feelings. Please understand that my IQ is 147 and my vision is 20/20. I'm not stupid. Or blind. And I've no axe to grind. I'm offering my honest opinions regarding a city that I had very much hoped to be my second home.
a

You sound like you are miserable living in Greensboro. Maybe you should move. As far as the reputation of crime. I’m born and raised in Greensboro. Lived all over the southeast and northeast. 99% of people know very little about Greensboro if they weren’t from NC or a neighboring state. The crime increase is something recent. There are plenty of other cities who have had worse crime for years who continued to adjust and grow.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
What does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

Perhaps another reason this board is so inactive is folks who literally take every opportunity (or simply create them) to trash the city/area.

Greensboro isn't perfect. It's clear you have disdain for the city. But simply repeating the same hyperbole over and over does nothing. Not everyone has the same impressions you do and that doesn't make them or you right/wrong.
I'll agree that we're off-topic, but in the abstract I reserve the same right to share my negative opinions as you do your positive. There's nothing new here, it's your own insecurities which render you reflexively defensive. If I'm just some nut Yankee with an axe to grind, then prospective relocators will see that I'm all wet the minute they hit town for their preliminary evaluation. Won't they?

Last edited by TunedIn; 03-20-2021 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point