Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 06:14 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

As Triad transplants loving Kernersville. Enjoy being close to the three cities.

We have been looking around where we would like to set up roots as we want to stay in the area.

We never venture East of Greensboro. Curious thoughts on Burlington?

The pros for my Wife and I working in healthcare pits us 40 miles or less from at least 14 hospitals. Also close to some higher education opportunities for us so huge plus.

Think one con is housing market seems to be high out that way.

Thoughts on Burlington? Best to live in Burlington or suburbs?

For a family how's the schooling system and crime?

Appreciate the honest feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,219,632 times
Crime rate is a little higher in Burlington than Kernersville. Housing may be a little cheaper. Other pros, Burlington does have a lot of retail so you'd be closing to shopping establishments. Me personally I'd stick with Kernersville because of the close proximity of both Greensboro and Winston-Salem. You'd be closer to higher education schools in both cities.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:18 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times
I use to live in Burlington back in 2009. And it hasn't changed at all. I also use to work at an apt complex there last year. U are honestly better in Kernersville where u can enjoy the 15 minute drive to Winston or greensboro. Raleigh is about 40 min away from Burlington. Burlington has nothing in it but Alamance Crossing. Yes it's close to Tanger outlets but how many of those stores are u really going to shop in... restaurants are slim picking too.. and crime is high!! It's only my opinion but I do believe that Burlington is the place for people to go that can no longer afford Raleigh, chapel Hill or Durham but need to be near those areas. Even if that "near" is a 45 min drive. Not being a snob. As I can't afford those areas either.. but I can afford greensboro and Kernersville and Winston aeras... Burlington seems to be getting alot of the riff raft that's use to be in Durham. Its not a safe city anymore in my opinion. Plus very backwoods and not a progressive city..

Old 06-24-2021, 01:38 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Pros
-Close to Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Winston Salem. Lots nearby.
-Relatively affordability.
-Will only continue to increase as its proximity to both RDU and GSO will propel it upwards.

Cons
-Downtown is very underwhelming. Looks like it hasn't seen an upgrade or new opening since 1995.
-Rural and boring. Nobody in Burlington stays in Burlington to have fun. They call it Borington for a reason.
-Not progressive, lots of backwards zoning laws and regressive people.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:59 PM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
Don't have much experience in the city.. no real reason for me to spend time there.

Pros: Good Retail options nearby... much better than most cities of Burlington's size. Zach's Hot Dogs downtown.... you seem to be fond of hot dog places... Its close to my favorite Donut shop around.. Daily Donuts in Graham off of the 148 exit on 40/85. Seems like a quiet peaceful type of city.... I know they have a city park near downtown.. that's probably good for youngsters.

Cons: Its in Alamance County. Though not as red as Randolph, Davidson, Stokes, Rockingham Counties... its a bit too red for me. Seems to be a hotbed of racial conflict and old ways of thinking.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:12 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
I'd be fine with a red area (I'm in Gaston after all) but I lived in SE Guilford growing up, and never thought Burlington was an attractive looking city. To me it's a place to live if you need to be close to a job, or if you can't afford something nicer.

Old 06-25-2021, 02:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I'd rather live in Mebane than Burlington. Not feeling a lot of love for Burlington although I do love that they named their minor league baseball team the Sock Puppets.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:18 PM

385 posts, read 288,510 times
It seems to be clear that Burlington doesnt want any of the action that Durham, Raleigh or chapel hill has.. but I do wonder if that could chnage in 20 years or soo. Who knows Burlington might end up being the next HOT spot.. after Mebane gets over priced...might be good to get in while the getting good.lol

Old 06-25-2021, 07:06 PM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
Burlington is almost like a smaller Greensboro, it's an older textile mill area similar to other towns across the Piedmont.

The best thing about Burlington is the location. 30 mins from Greensboro, 45 mins from RTP. If the Triangle keeps booming, which it probably will, then Burlington will likely see growth. Mebane is currently growing, so it's only a matter of time before Burlington is impacted. Elon University next door to Burlington has to be a plus, as well.

The worst thing about Burlington, IMO, is that it isn't very vibrant. There are a few nice neighborhoods west of downtown, but other areas in Burlington look like they haven't changed in decades. Not to mention the dull strip malls and chain restaurants off I-40.

I do think Burlington has potential, but it might take another 10 years or so before the city sees a lot of growth.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:43 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Seems to be a hotbed of racism and political/cultural clashes. A very backward place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point