Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 03:20 AM

35 posts, read 8,899 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to North Carolina within the Greensboro Area, but not sure where. My husband and I are both archery enthusiasts WITH PERMITS. I mention this last detail because that's the first thing people usually ask. My question is: Will I have any problems practicing archery in North Carolina? We are currently living in Morristown, NJ, but I'm originally from Greer, SC, where I can tell you, ARCHERY IS FULLY LEGAL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 06:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Do you intend to hunt with a cross-bow? Are you intending to target shoot on you own property or do you want a range? There are a couple of archery ranges in Greensboro.
The only problem you might have is with animal rights activists. In general, people in NC are more likely to be pro-hunting than in New Jersey.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-16-2024 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-16-2024, 07:30 AM

I use a flatbow, but my husband usually uses a cross. I figured there'd be ranges, but I'm really just talking about carrying. We don't get many funny looks in Morristown, but occasionally someone will stop us and ask us for a permit. As far as hunting goes, we DO NOT shoot in public, except if there's absolutely no one around and we have a clear shot at, say, a squirrel, a.k.a. a tree rat.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:45 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanPip View Post
I use a flatbow, but my husband usually uses a cross. I figured there'd be ranges, but I'm really just talking about carrying.
I'm curious as to what "carrying" means? Do you walk into a restaurant with your bows and arrows? Take them with you to the dog park? To a pool party at your neighbors? Is this for personal protection?

Old 01-16-2024, 08:16 AM

Yes, carrying the bows in public sounds unusual. I assume they meant putting them in a car and taking them to a range or hunting destination.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'm curious as to what "carrying" means? Do you walk into a restaurant with your bows and arrows? Take them with you to the dog park? To a pool party at your neighbors? Is this for personal protection?

Ha ha. No restaurants and pool parties! Dog park is negotiable. We may — if the atmosphere is there and we sense we're not scaring any folks. Which is kind of my question: how do folks feel about bows in this area? I know it's not an easy question to answer. Maybe I should put it like: Do you see folks out and about with bows? NOT SHOOTING! Mainly lifestyle.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:29 PM

I will let folks in the Triad answer for themselves, but I have never seen a bow outside of an archery range.
At one point my husband had one for self defense. It stayed in the bedroom.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:19 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
What kind of permits are you talking about? I’ve never heard of a bow or an archery permit.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:40 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
I've never seen anyone walking around with a bow and arrow, in Greensboro or any other place I can think of. I have seen a few outside carry of handguns. Personally, I wouldn't want to be around either bows or guns away from the practice range or hunting grounds.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What kind of permits are you talking about? I’ve never heard of a bow or an archery permit.

Ironically, it isn't for the bow. At least in my current municipality. It's for the arrows! The quiver really. I could technically bring my flatbow into Burger King without a permit. I would never do that. It's mostly lifestyle. Most of the folks that carry bows don't do it for self-defense, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point