Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 02:51 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times

Advertisements

W-S now: I-40; I-74; I-285.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 08:03 PM

626 posts, read 626,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
"Progress" In this state none of that progress has ever been adequately planned which is why we have this rapidly expanding unsustainable nightmare. The states being picked apart by vultures, and like vultures when its picked to the bone they move on. Where next, my moneys on Iowa, Alabama, maybe Nebraska. Nothing wrong with jobs but when the state bends over backwards with tax money for these giant corporations who come in and tear up our environment most of us lose. Why belittle the sticks anyways? A lot of you moved here from big cities elsewhere and now want to turn it all into a suburban hellscape, could have just stayed home if you wanted that. Heck the area we are talking about tearing up is more in the sticks than here in lizard lick. When will you be satisfied? When its all one giant target-walmart-publix strip mall? I swear this country sold its soul a long time ago. Dang shame.
So after reading this comment I had to sign back into this website for the first time in years. I have grown up near this site and still live in the area on the Guilford County side then commute down 421 a few days a week. The whole 421 corridor from Pleasant Garden on down to Sanford is in need for some type of industry revitalization and the people need good paying jobs. Hell the town has been dying for decades now and quite literally holding on for dear life. This is a much needed shot in the arm that the town needs badly.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:07 AM

851 posts, read 418,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
So after reading this comment I had to sign back into this website for the first time in years. I have grown up near this site and still live in the area on the Guilford County side then commute down 421 a few days a week. The whole 421 corridor from Pleasant Garden on down to Sanford is in need for some type of industry revitalization and the people need good paying jobs. Hell the town has been dying for decades now and quite literally holding on for dear life. This is a much needed shot in the arm that the town needs badly.
Amen.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:09 PM

Precisely. Over half of NC counties are declining in population and economic activity. They are fantasizing about landing a huge Project like this.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:11 AM

385 posts, read 291,240 times
Yes everyone is so focused on Rdu, Clt, WS and GSO that I think, they don't think other places exist outside of those aeras lol...my poor small town of Pilot Mtn is gonna be hurting bad when the people my dad's age that live there are long gone.. Same with Mt.Aity.. and everyone that's been on the boards for awhile now has Heard my rant about that place and how they gonna have to find another TV show to milk or golden egg eventually.... I do envision more vineyards pooping up around those aears but really u can only have so many of those...

Old 11-30-2021, 06:12 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The locals ? Probably not . The town commissioners making bank off this? Possibly . Either way this is all an attempt at urbanizing it all. No guarantee any of that happens . Where’s the respect for farmland ? Woodlands? I just don’t understand the push to urbanize every square mile of our state . You ever hear anyone bragging about New Jersey ? No , there’s a reason as every corner of the state just about has been developed . Their most rural counties are similar to Chatham county in population ! They are essentially suburban! We will, see , all I know is a lot of the population projections fell short with the state as a whole not increasing in population as much as projections had .
There is no "push to urbanize every square mile of" NC; that's about as hyperbolic as it gets for a state known for its natural beauty in the mountains and along the coast within protected federal and state parkland. The megasite is literally in the middle of the most urbanized region of NC, the Piedmont Crescent. Locally it's a greenfield development of course but regionally, it would accurately be considered infill.

What I don't understand about your position is that the megasite property was deemed advantageous for economic development purposes because of features such as its size and proximity to transportation corridors and population centers, but you think it should remain undeveloped anyway because greenfield development is undesirable. That's really a circular argument and you'd also need to demonstrate that there are more actual upsides than downsides in refraining from developing the site.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:33 AM

922 posts, read 752,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Maybe. My reference is to the 800 acre Aerospace Megasite, though it's hard to find any recent news regarding its progress.
Maybe this is what you're hoping for?

"State lawmakers in Raleigh approved changes to the new state budget that includes $107 million for Piedmont Triad International Airport improvements should an unnamed airplane manufacturer expand at the Guilford County site. The so-called “Project Thunderbird” cites incentives including $15M for site work, $35M for roadwork and $57M for airplane hangars. The money hinges on new jobs that would pay $60,000 annually."

https://www.thetimesnews.com/story/n...572161#new_tab

Old 11-30-2021, 08:16 AM

851 posts, read 418,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post

"State lawmakers in Raleigh approved changes to the new state budget that includes $107 million for Piedmont Triad International Airport improvements should an unnamed airplane manufacturer expand at the Guilford County site. The so-called “Project Thunderbird” cites incentives including $15M for site work, $35M for roadwork and $57M for airplane hangars. The money hinges on new jobs that would pay $60,000 annually."

Thanks. If realized, and coming on the heels of Publix and Toyota, this would be huge. My bet is that there's something already in the works being kept under wraps.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:24 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post

This could become the second airplane manufacturer at PTI. HondaJet being the first. Would be great news following the Toyota announcement. Might be able to figure out the company by doing a search for airplane manufacturers looking to expand. The article said manufacturer so I wouldn't think its just an aircraft maintenance company.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:11 AM

The possible Toyota project would be the biggest economic announcement since the 1998 announcement of a $300 million FedEx Mid-Atlantic air-cargo package-sorting hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point