Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 01:13 PM

27 posts, read 20,454 times

Advertisements

I know that this is not something that can really be answered by anyone but us but I would like to ask for some perspective from anyone living in this area. Me 33yo and my wife 51yo with no kids and no other family to mention are currently living in Fort Myers Fl. We do not like living here and are looking at relocating to different parts of the country. We want to do as much research as possible before setting up some trips to visit these areas. One of the areas we are looking at is Winston Salem or Greensboro. For the most part we are leaving Fort Myers is because the traffic can be brutal here during rush hour especially during snow bird season and the rude south Florida drivers definitely do not help. The area has gotten extremely expensive entering an affordable housing crisis as the local government likes to call it. Our one bed apartment is $1600 with the potential to go up to $2000 at the end of the lease, the house market here has even gone as far as making the news about being "the most over inflated market in the US" and "The most unaffordable state in the us" by different news outlets.

We would be looking at renting first then eventually buying a house. We both work in fields such as automotive, purchasing, logistics and service industries. Neither of us care for night life and are mostly homebodies except the occasional outdoor recreation such as hunting and fishing on the weekend.
Anyways than you for any information you can provide i will use this information to decide which area we are going to look at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 02:33 PM

922 posts, read 751,176 times
As you say, you're asking a very difficult question to provide a meaningful answer to. I grew up in G'boro, and lived in W-S for many years. They are both very nice, and I would think you'd like them. They may still be more expensive and busier than you'd prefer. How much rent do you want to pay?

High Point might also be a place to consider, as well as some of the smaller towns around the area like Lexington, Thomasville or Asheboro. You might also want to look at some smaller metros in NC such as Greenville, Hickory or Fayetteville.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:51 PM

27 posts, read 20,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
As you say, you're asking a very difficult question to provide a meaningful answer to. I grew up in G'boro, and lived in W-S for many years. They are both very nice, and I would think you'd like them. They may still be more expensive and busier than you'd prefer. How much rent do you want to pay?

High Point might also be a place to consider, as well as some of the smaller towns around the area like Lexington, Thomasville or Asheboro. You might also want to look at some smaller metros in NC such as Greenville, Hickory or Fayetteville.

Thank you for the information. All I have at the moment to look at rent prices with is Apartments com. It seem like its doable but its hard to say what is accurate on there. Do you think $1000- $1200 is something that is obtainable in the area or would that put you in some less then desirable places? Here in Fort Myers $1400 puts you in some shady places and anything less then $1200 cannot be had right now. The $1600 I pay now is considered on the mid to low end range but what scares us is the upcoming rent spikes which are putting the apartments here at $1800 - $2000 per month.

I do understand as well that traffic congestion is subjective and everyone sees it differently but around the area I live in some intersections will take 4 to 5 light cycles to make it through during rush hour and it only gets worse the closer you are to the beaches.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:00 AM

40 posts, read 31,492 times
My wife and I will be retiring in the first half of next year. The Winston-Salem/Greensboro area is one of the places we are considering. We have visited the area two years ago, and plan to do another visit this year.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:34 AM

385 posts, read 290,845 times
Hey the 1000 to 1200 range would def get u at least a one bedroom in a ",luxury apt" in winston and greensboro. I think anything less then 750 for one bedroom would prob have u in some sketcy aeras...

Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 AM

Hey @gsoboi. I know u said u have lived at city view for awhile now.. do u know how much the going rate for a 1bedroom there is? Have u seen ur rent get crazy high from when u first leased there are have they been pretty steady small increases. Im always interested in city view and how its doing since that seems to be the 1st luxury dowtown apt complex. Everyone wanted to live there back in like 2005 i believ is when it opened? I occassionaly read reviews on it and lately it seems.to have turned into a college dorm with the party atmosphere.. sad if thats true ... i did live there for a year around 2010. My current boyfrind at the time had the lease in his name.. he didnt renew .but i thought it wws nice to be downtown and near walkkmg distance to natty greens. It still seemed like upscale professionals living there back then.. wonder if elon law students have took.ovet??

Old 05-16-2022, 03:25 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmelon View Post
Thank you for the information. All I have at the moment to look at rent prices with is Apartments com. It seem like its doable but its hard to say what is accurate on there. Do you think $1000- $1200 is something that is obtainable in the area or would that put you in some less then desirable places? Here in Fort Myers $1400 puts you in some shady places and anything less then $1200 cannot be had right now. The $1600 I pay now is considered on the mid to low end range but what scares us is the upcoming rent spikes which are putting the apartments here at $1800 - $2000 per month.

I do understand as well that traffic congestion is subjective and everyone sees it differently but around the area I live in some intersections will take 4 to 5 light cycles to make it through during rush hour and it only gets worse the closer you are to the beaches.
You should be fine with $1200 as long as you're OK not being downtown. Frankly, you may be able to get a 2 bedroom in some decent areas for about $1200/month. Take a look at the Palladium area around High Point. There are a good number of apartment complexes there that are a little less in cost than what you find in Greensboro, just about everything you need day to day is within a mile or two, and you're less than 25 min from Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Traffic: I've come from VA Beach and DC and traffic here is nothing. Unless there's an accident, the interstates pretty much just flow. There's a few areas you might have to sit through 2 or 3 light cycles at rush hour... but nothing worse than that.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:36 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Hey @gsoboi. I know u said u have lived at city view for awhile now.. do u know how much the going rate for a 1bedroom there is? Have u seen ur rent get crazy high from when u first leased there are have they been pretty steady small increases. Im always interested in city view and how its doing since that seems to be the 1st luxury dowtown apt complex. Everyone wanted to live there back in like 2005 i believ is when it opened? I occassionaly read reviews on it and lately it seems.to have turned into a college dorm with the party atmosphere.. sad if thats true ... i did live there for a year around 2010. My current boyfrind at the time had the lease in his name.. he didnt renew .but i thought it wws nice to be downtown and near walkkmg distance to natty greens. It still seemed like upscale professionals living there back then.. wonder if elon law students have took.ovet??
Not gsoboi, but I included the link below. Looks like there are several floorplans that are in the upper-$1100s.

https://www.cityview-apts.com/Floor-plans.aspx

Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 AM

Thanks at @HRVT. With those high rents im surprised at the reviews. Guess those college kids are really partying it up there if the reviews are true lol!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point