Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 08:42 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times

Advertisements

Drove thru Market St this morning. It seems to be getting run down looking each time I go there.. ( I lived off Dolly Madison back in 2013 to 2016 and it didn't look that bad back then) I use to go to the planet fittness there .I'd work out ,then go grab a healthy snack afterward at the Harris Teeter and run into other gym goers there . it looks so sad now beside the vacant old Harris teeter all boarded up. ( I wonder if something plans to go in it's spot Soon) also the very run down shopping center near the SheetZ is such a waste of space! I'm surprise it hadn't been tore down and revamped. Also I didn't go into the mcds there this time, but last time I went , it seemed to be facing the problems Hardee's downtown had toward their end . I also use to go to the porter house there and never realized how hidden it looks back there in it's little spot .. I really can't believe Market St is like this since it's so close to Friendly. I feel like it has alot of potential to be a nice destination on ones way to friendly center. Does anyone know of any plans or happenings for that aera?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 09:50 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Drove thru Market St this morning. It seems to be getting run down looking each time I go there.. ( I lived off Dolly Madison back in 2013 to 2016 and it didn't look that bad back then) I use to go to the planet fittness there .I'd work out ,then go grab a healthy snack afterward at the Harris Teeter and run into other gym goers there . it looks so sad now beside the vacant old Harris teeter all boarded up. ( I wonder if something plans to go in it's spot Soon) also the very run down shopping center near the SheetZ is such a waste of space! I'm surprise it hadn't been tore down and revamped. Also I didn't go into the mcds there this time, but last time I went , it seemed to be facing the problems Hardee's downtown had toward their end . I also use to go to the porter house there and never realized how hidden it looks back there in it's little spot .. I really can't believe Market St is like this since it's so close to Friendly. I feel like it has alot of potential to be a nice destination on ones way to friendly center. Does anyone know of any plans or happenings for that aera?!?
Market Street. Another opportunity that has been wasting away for years. If you drive around the city’s core you’ll notice this is a theme. Much of this stuff just looks drab, old and neglected. Reminds me of a rust belt city low key. The optics in so many primary corridors are just bad and hardscrabble looking until you venture out beyond the city’s core. I like the grit for the character but there still needs to be productive activity in these areas too .

Kinda representative of things, eh?

Old 02-20-2023, 07:18 AM

32 posts, read 24,335 times
I own an office condo at the intersection of Market and Holden (which is badly in need of a paint job and I am working the condo board to make that happen). If you drive from my location east in to downtown, it's an absolutely beautiful road lined with amazing historic homes and great landscaping. However, if you turn the other way and head west, it very quickly becomes as described above - vacant shopping centers, run down looking buildings, chain link fences, etc. I feel like the area west around Market has incredible potential if these areas can be developed.

The primary offender is the section between Walker and Spring Garden/Muirs Chapel. It's not a huge stretch of road, but it is extremely ugly, unkempt and unloved. Once you hit Spring Garden, it doesn't exactly become "beautiful" but it is a cool, eclectic, diverse section with a lot of great ethnic food and a lot more activity. The type of place that wealthier suburbanites would want to explore, if they felt safe getting there and hanging out.

I feel that if someone could develop that stretch of Market to "bridge the gap" between the wealthier east-of-Holden section and the ethnic Spring Garden section, it would do wonders for everyone. The wealthier residents would be more willing to travel west and visit the businesses over in that area if the drive over didn't involve going through what looks like a third world country, and that area would obviously benefit from an increase in spending that the suburbanites would bring.

Not for nothing, but that stretch of "blah" does include one of my absolute most favorite restaurants in Greensboro, Nazareth Bread Co. If you haven't tried their Shawarma yet, you are seriously missing out. Great people too. And poor Fifth Season Gardening, which is a great store, is also out there on a concrete island.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
The Boar and Castle was on that stretch. It was torn down to put up an office building, the one next to Sheets. Google it. It was grand.

The corner of Market and Spring Garden was a drive in. The people in Colonial Apartments could watch the movie through the fence.

I don't know what to tell you about fixing it up. I only go out there to go to Pho or Taste of Ethiopia. But it's always crowded.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:50 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Should have put the Lidl's there.

If Greensboro cut back on zoning regulations. Incorporated more multi family homes. Added a few income based apartments.

Tore down the parking garages downtown. Created more open downtown. Lowered property taxes for local business owners downtown or switched to land value tax dor businesses in the city.

Added more sidewalks.

Make neighborhoods more defined and cities of the city that were planned.

Add an entertainment district with Friendly Center and Four Seasons. Work to turn Four Seasons to outlet mall. Tear it down and make it another open shopping center. Maybe a cargo shopping center.

Make downtown restaurant row. Make it hip with apartments. Baseball. Also, touristy with hotels. Children's Museum. Museums. Transportation hub. Local shops. Goverment offices. Broadway theater.

West side industrial/research park needs to be built. With few restaurants/hotels/new park.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Should have put the Lidl's there.

If Greensboro cut back on zoning regulations. Incorporated more multi family homes. Added a few income based apartments.

Tore down the parking garages downtown. Created more open downtown. Lowered property taxes for local business owners downtown or switched to land value tax dor businesses in the city.

Added more sidewalks.

Make neighborhoods more defined and cities of the city that were planned.

Add an entertainment district with Friendly Center and Four Seasons. Work to turn Four Seasons to outlet mall. Tear it down and make it another open shopping center. Mybe a cargo shopping center.

Make downtown restaurant row. Make it hip with apartments. Baseball. Also, touristy with hotels. Children's Museum. Museums. Transportation hub. Local shops. Goverment offices. Broadway theater.

West side industrial/research park needs to be built. With few restaurants/hotels/new park.
Lidl would of been perfect to put on Market St! The one being built on Lawndale looks just to wedged in and gonna cause a mess with traffic then it already is in that lil area. As for Four Seasons Mall , if that whole area could get cleaned up and not so crime ridden then I'd be all for the idea of bull dozing it down and creating another open air shopping destination like friendly center.. but as right now , I don't even feel safe going inside that mall, let alone wouldn't want to be out in the open shopping there lol. It doesn't seem like Greensboro has any plans to address that aera either at the moment... I feel at this point , the city wants to focus only on downtown and anything outside of that radius is not their concern.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:50 AM

Just noticed the old Church's chicken fast food place was painted up all grey or could of been concrete . Not sure. Wonder what will be taking over that spot. Also the Mexican restaurant that's an awesome looking building but always changes names seems to be turned into a completely new place.. ghost bar and kitchen.. I'm not sure how long thats been there, but I just noticed it today!!!

Old 04-05-2023, 03:11 PM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
I saw that a trampoline park is moving into the old Market St Harris Teeter spot. At least it's something. That seems to be a common theme with old grocery stores.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:22 PM

It's something. And it does seem to be a trend. But how many of those do we need in Greensboro. I wish most of these owners of these run down shopping centers would just sell and let an apt complex or something more useful get built on the land.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:02 AM

Just passed market St and noticed they are finally tearing down the churches chicken building... hopefully something nice will go in its place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point