Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 05:54 AM

391 posts, read 297,078 times

Advertisements

I definitely would actually skip pilot mtn , ( my hometown) if I were you and just relax and enjoy Winston Salem. Lots to do in Winston. Reynolda Gardens, Wake Forest, Old Salem. Great places to eat. The porch as someone mentioned, along with lots of great restaurants downtown . If u wanted to get out and do hiking then do stone MTN or Hanging rock. . As for Pilot mtn. U can't actually drive nor walk to the tip top peak of the mountain..my mom always told stories of when she was younger and able to , they had steps that took u to the tip, but then due to people falling they closed access.. but I wouldn't waste time to drive to pilot MTN. Especially since there nothing in the town it self to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 09:34 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,700,720 times
Thanks, everyone! I will definitely be referring back to this list during my visit. A few other things I thought about/realized.

Greensboro is fairly close (like 30 minutes with no traffic), and has some reasonably interesting sights, it would seem. Namely, the International Civil Rights Center/Museum, Guilford Courthouse NMP, and the Science Center looks pretty well regarded too. That may be an easier add on in combination with some things in Winston-Salem, esp if the weather doesn't cooperate for hiking on Tuesday.

How worth it/good are the Moravian pastries/cookies, etc. from Old Salem and Winkler Bakery? I see you mention Hot Cross Buns. Unfortunately, they won't be open until around 10 AM Wednesday-is it worth waiting around town there to potentially get some, or can you potentially get similar treats elsewhere in town that is open Monday or Tuesday (I do see Bethania and Bethabara nearby, for instance).

Couple other questions about southbound attractions, if you don't mind:

I see NC Zoo is sort of unique. At almost 500 acres, the largest natural habitat zoo in the world apparently, whatever that is classified as-is it worthwhile? How different is the visitor experience, given the size of the property?

Reed Gold Mine-is visiting it and doing the mine tour there pretty kid friendly, also? The value of that one looks particularly great with $2 for a mine tour and $3 for panning. Honestly, that looks really neat to me, but figured I'd check.

Thanks again for all the great food and etc recommendations! Looking forward to checking some of those spots out!

Old 03-10-2023, 09:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,065,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
Thanks, everyone! I will definitely be referring back to this list during my visit. A few other things I thought about/realized.

Greensboro is fairly close (like 30 minutes with no traffic), and has some reasonably interesting sights, it would seem. Namely, the International Civil Rights Center/Museum, Guilford Courthouse NMP, and the Science Center looks pretty well regarded too. That may be an easier add on in combination with some things in Winston-Salem, esp if the weather doesn't cooperate for hiking on Tuesday.

How worth it/good are the Moravian pastries/cookies, etc. from Old Salem and Winkler Bakery? I see you mention Hot Cross Buns. Unfortunately, they won't be open until around 10 AM Wednesday-is it worth waiting around town there to potentially get some, or can you potentially get similar treats elsewhere in town that is open Monday or Tuesday (I do see Bethania and Bethabara nearby, for instance).

Couple other questions about southbound attractions, if you don't mind:

I see NC Zoo is sort of unique. At almost 500 acres, the largest natural habitat zoo in the world apparently, whatever that is classified as-is it worthwhile? How different is the visitor experience, given the size of the property?

Reed Gold Mine-is visiting it and doing the mine tour there pretty kid friendly, also? The value of that one looks particularly great with $2 for a mine tour and $3 for panning. Honestly, that looks really neat to me, but figured I'd check.

Thanks again for all the great food and etc recommendations! Looking forward to checking some of those spots out!
For the NC Zoo, by being a natural habitat zoo the exhibits are very large. You'll get a lot of walking in but I'd devote a bare minimum of 3 hours there... but to see everything you'll need a whole day. I personally find the Africa side more interesting (gorillas, lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, etc) but this time of year you'll probably have to enter from the North America side and catch the tram to the Africa side.

North America has bears, buffalo, wolves, etc. For a trip like what you're doing, you could probably skip the zoo but I recommend a trip at some point. They're building an Asia area now that should be ready in 2026 IIRC.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:58 PM

382 posts, read 210,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
Well, in fairness, your personality sounds toxic and miserable in my opinion, so I suppose that’s fine.

I’m not sure I see what’s unrealistic about
Day 1: Go see a basketball game in Charlotte and stay overnight near arena.
Day 2: See Charlotte for a bit in the AM. Drive 90 minutes to Winston-Salem perhaps stopping for BBQ and Cheerwine en Route (sure, I can see where depending on how long we enjoy those places, driving up Pilot Mountain may be a little much.. but that’s still even with going up to there, then back, about 2.5 hrs. car time. Not exactly crazy
Day 3: Drive 40 minutes to a state park and do some hiking. See some different sections and sites of Winston Salem when back. If weather really sucks, drive an hour or a bit over and go see Durham.

I type a lot and I know that, but when you pair it down, nothing I’m saying sounds overly crazy to a good amount of people that idk, actually likes travel and exploring.

I’m sorry if you’re having a bad day or week, but if you have nothing nice to say, I’m pretty sure it costs $0.00 to just keep scrolling.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. You mentioned Pilot Mountain. Have you considered Mt. Airy (aka Mayberry)? Home of Andy and Barney. It's a charming town and well worth the time to visit. Maybe get a haircut at Floyd's Barbershop. Or a bite to eat at the Snappy Lunch.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 AM

410 posts, read 345,227 times

To me, the hot cross buns are definitely worth waiting for. Sugar cake from Winkler Bakery is also a big deal in Winston, but I don't care for it, personally --it's made with a lot of heavy cream and potatoes, but most people absolutely love it, too. And both freeze really well

Old 03-11-2023, 12:54 PM

391 posts, read 297,078 times
I'm thinking that Dewys bakery in Thruway shopping center would have some hot cross buns .

Old 03-13-2023, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
For the NC Zoo, by being a natural habitat zoo the exhibits are very large. You'll get a lot of walking in but I'd devote a bare minimum of 3 hours there... but to see everything you'll need a whole day. I personally find the Africa side more interesting (gorillas, lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, etc) but this time of year you'll probably have to enter from the North America side and catch the tram to the Africa side.

North America has bears, buffalo, wolves, etc. For a trip like what you're doing, you could probably skip the zoo but I recommend a trip at some point. They're building an Asia area now that should be ready in 2026 IIRC.
Good to know-I think as great as that sounds then, we may save it for perhaps a summer visit when we have longer time. Our friend in Charlotte sounds like they are staying longer term and we may be back to visit, so perhaps we could go there and allot a half day or more, then!

Old 03-13-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. You mentioned Pilot Mountain. Have you considered Mt. Airy (aka Mayberry)? Home of Andy and Barney. It's a charming town and well worth the time to visit. Maybe get a haircut at Floyd's Barbershop. Or a bite to eat at the Snappy Lunch.
I’m sorry for assuming your intent, and for responding the way I did as well. And I appreciate that.

Thanks for that recommendation! Mt Airy actually does look like a very charming town, lots of local shopping, those businesses you mention, etc. I can’t say I’m super familiar with the show though I know it’s iconic, and a huge part of American TV history. Perhaps if we went to check it out this trip (coupled with hiking and or driving up Pilot Mtn, it would be cool to have “first person perspective” when watching it or hearing about it then, after!

It does look like it’s within 15 minutes of the state park, too, and both could be done in less than 2 hours from W-S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point