Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite, Go-to city district?
Downtown 4 57.14%
UNCG area 0 0%
Grasshoppers Stadium Area 0 0%
Friendly Center Area 1 14.29%
Somewhere on Battleground 0 0%
Walker Ave./Lindley Park Area 1 14.29%
Guilford College Area 0 0%
Lawndale Area 0 0%
Somewhere outside city limits in the County 0 0%
Other 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 03:55 PM

171 posts, read 159,697 times

Advertisements

I like downtown and Round1 at the mall which are my fav spots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 05:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,912,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
I can't speak for the apartment side of Revolution Mill, but the office side is quite full. It's a busy place during the work week. The final building at the complex should be coming online very soon, with additional retail/restaurants and more apartments.

One thing I think the city should do proactively is to make investments to boost emerging areas. Now that I work occasionally at Revolution Mill, I see that there is an opportunity to create a "Mill District" and to connect it with the State Street/Golden Gate area to create one cohesive district. This area has the potential to become a premier walkable district, but it needs a few key investments to reach its full potential:

1. The biggest one in my mind would be to extend State Street over or under the railroad tracks to connect to Revolution Mill Drive. It is less than half a mile as the crow flies from Cugino Forno to the intersection of State and Golden Gate. Currently, to do this on foot requires a circuitous and dangerous walk along roads with speeding traffic and where sidewalks randomly disappear and then reappear. Creating a safe, direct, and attractive pedestrian route between these two areas would be an absolute game changer.

2. There is a nice greenway path along Buffalo Creek, starting at Church Street next to the fire department complex, and passing underneath the railroad tracks and running along the entirety of Revolution Mill. This needs to be extended across Yanceyville to connect to the renovated Proximity Mill, and also in the other direction to connect to Cone Hospital and Latham Park.

3. Longer term, there is a ton of surface parking along Revolution Mill Drive that, if redeveloped, could create a fantastic street scene akin to Southside in downtown. If #1 above happened, the city could build a parking deck in the northern half of the large parking lot along the east side of the railroad tracks, between Cornwallis and the mill. This would be a nice central location for both Revolution Mill and State Street, and could free up the rest of the surface parking for redevelopment.

That makes way too much sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Would be awesome if golden gate got a face lift and connected revolution mills and state st..but a lot of the surrounding area would have to gentrify..there's alot of low income apts complexes and that's the clientale of golden gate shopping center. Also not to mention summit Ave around the corner.. as things look with the city it doesn't seem like they are gonna do anything about it, so guess the project would need a private investor.. Soo much potential in that area but it's definitely got tons of eye sores that the city is not addressing that probably turn investors away.

ALL of that... EXCEPT the gentrification part. As I've said previously, pleasantly surprised the city has really gentrified much at all. I'd rather a rehab, reinvestment initiative occur. Gentrification isn't cool.

And yes, it'll probably be a private investor.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:30 PM

691 posts, read 502,825 times
Midtown is another area. Stretching from Cornwallis down to Grecade. Plenty of Restaurants, a few bars, a couple of wine bars, and a brewery.

Old 06-24-2023, 03:32 PM

935 posts, read 764,241 times
Definitely downtown.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:49 AM

6,165 posts, read 7,248,557 times
I believe the city of Greensboro just approved the State Street district as Greensboro's second social district. So it will be nice the stroll those streets there with alcoholic beverages shopping and dining.

But I do think midtown and Spring Garden Street just west of UNCG are the most bustling nightlife districts in Greensboro after downtown. They are both like a slice of downtown Greensboro with crowds of people dining and drinking. Spring Garden St has become UNCG's main college strip over the past few decades now moreso than Tate Street. I think another thing that gives Spring Garden Street west of the campus a downtown feel is that there are few strips of early 20th century commercial buildings similar to those on South Elm Street downtown.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:36 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,912,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Midtown is another area. Stretching from Cornwallis down to Grecade. Plenty of Restaurants, a few bars, a couple of wine bars, and a brewery.
This one is a bit of a stretch but the potential is there. I’ll concede. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point