Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 11:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
It is grotesque. A giant fossil fuel gas station. Why do folks get excited about the "worlds largest fossil fuel gas station?"
It will also will have EV charging stations and employ about 200-250 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 12:51 AM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
It will also will have EV charging stations and employ about 200-250 people.
That’s good. The Efland proposal did not include EV charging stations. I don’t really celebrate fossil fuels or turning gas stations into walmarts, but I can see why people would be excited. I think we have enough gas stations.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:22 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Shouldn’t the “size” of a gas station be based on the fuel storage capacity, number of pumps/charging stations, or similar?

The square feet of the building has nothing to do with vehicular fuel.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:06 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
It is grotesque. A giant fossil fuel gas station. Why do folks get excited about the "worlds largest fossil fuel gas station?"
Because most people still need fossil fuels. Duh.

In fact I think they likely even have electric charger stations as well.

Why would people not get excited for a place that has cheaper gas, clean bathrooms, good food, values their employees and boosts the local economy? I didn't realize that was a bad thing.

No one is forcing you to spend your money at bucees.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:59 AM

97 posts, read 70,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Grotesque?

While yes its essentially "just" a gas station, they also bring a fair number of jobs and pay VERY well. In 2018 for instance, they were STARTING people at $14/hr (back when it was still "cool" to pay like $8-9/hr) and include real benefits.

On a quick glance, it looks like they pay $17/hr minimum now. Still pretty good considering $11-12/hr is still pretty standard.

On top of all that, Im looking forward to the brisket and other goods. I'll give it a few weeks to die down once it opens though.
Yes, grotesque. It's a comically large monument to America's enslavement to the automobile and addiction to all manner of unhealthy foods. Even worse, now we're touting it as some sort of economic development win (because locals get some hourly wage jobs, while all of the profits go out of state) and a feather in the area's cap because it's the "world's largest?" It feels just a couple of steps removed from the dystopian spaceship in Wall-E - built to cater to lazy humans' every material urge while destroying the planet in the process. Personally, I am appalled that such a thing even exists.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:10 AM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
Oh boy

Old 07-05-2023, 02:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
Yes, grotesque. It's a comically large monument to America's enslavement to the automobile and addiction to all manner of unhealthy foods. Even worse, now we're touting it as some sort of economic development win (because locals get some hourly wage jobs, while all of the profits go out of state) and a feather in the area's cap because it's the "world's largest?" It feels just a couple of steps removed from the dystopian spaceship in Wall-E - built to cater to lazy humans' every material urge while destroying the planet in the process. Personally, I am appalled that such a thing even exists.
I concur. And I’m usually prodevelopment. Will there be any healthy food options at this obscene monstrosity ?

Old 07-05-2023, 03:39 PM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
I'll stop by for a brisket sammich, some quail eggs, and some fudge. Doubt I would stop for gas though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I concur. And I’m usually prodevelopment. Will there be any healthy food options at this obscene monstrosity ?
Who buys healthy food at a gas station?

Old 07-05-2023, 04:23 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
No, it ain't pretty. I'm curious though, how do you get around without a car in Guilford County? Neither of us can divorce ourselves from the pernicious effects of humans upon our planet. Do you drive? Heat your house? Cool your house? Will getting your fuel at a mom n' pop make it any less destructive to our environment? We've all got the same blood on our hands. And It is in fact some sort of economic development, just not much of one. Finally, of course it's grotesque. In the abstract. Just not contextually. I'm a health conscious, vegetarian athlete, driving a small fuel efficient car. And I'm killing the planet just like you are.

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-05-2023 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 02:00 PM

97 posts, read 70,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
No, it ain't pretty. I'm curious though, how do you get around without a car in Guilford County? Neither of us can divorce ourselves from the pernicious effects of humans upon our planet. Do you drive? Heat your house? Cool your house? Will getting your fuel at a mom n' pop make it any less destructive to our environment? We've all got the same blood on our hands. And It is in fact some sort of economic development, just not much of one. Finally, of course it's grotesque. In the abstract. Just not contextually. I'm a health conscious, vegetarian athlete, driving a small fuel efficient car. And I'm killing the planet just like you are.
You're absolutely right - you don't get around in Guilford County, or 99% of America, without a car. Not if you want to meaningfully participate in society, anyway. Many decisions have been made, many before I was born (I'm in my late 30s), that have shaped our built environment into what it is today. I'm not claiming to be holier than thou in regards to my impact on the planet. I just find the entire idea of Bucees offensive, because it represents a doubling down on the destructive mindset of the past 75 years, even as awareness continues to grow of the damage that mindset has caused.

I know that's a lot of angst over a gas station - LOL! I just feel like it highlights how hard it is to make good change when there are so many forces pushing in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point