Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 08:07 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,914,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Scratching my head over that one. Do you actually think that folks moving from out of state to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are going to buy a house in Swepsonville, NC? LOL
Yes, Mr. Big. Yes. It’s already happening, hence the MLS change. Realtors are confirming this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think as The Raleigh Durham area gets more expensive to live, some Triangle folks will bleed over into the eastern edge of the Triad which could be the beginning of a state "megapolis". Some may not like this but we could see the countryside turn to urban sprawl from Raleigh to Winston-Salem.
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 01:04 PM

615 posts, read 542,181 times
Alamance Countyis part of the Greensboro Winston Salem High Point CSA. So, it is a Triad County for sure. I don’t foresee this changing anytime soon. But I don’t have access to the commuting data. Maybe someone could provide commuting data from Alance to Guilford and Alamance to Durham County.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:15 PM

936 posts, read 766,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Alamance Countyis part of the Greensboro Winston Salem High Point CSA. So, it is a Triad County for sure. I don’t foresee this changing anytime soon. But I don’t have access to the commuting data. Maybe someone could provide commuting data from Alance to Guilford and Alamance to Durham County.
Alamance to Guilford: 8,911
Alamance to Durham: 5,185

Thats 2017, so I'm sure the numbers have changed somewhat.

http://www.alamancechamber.com/wp-co.../Commuting.pdf

Old 07-14-2023, 04:55 AM

6,166 posts, read 7,249,635 times
These are the Piedmont Triad counties and Alamance is a part of it.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:15 AM

392 posts, read 297,893 times
Honestly wouldn't want to claim Alamance county with it's current look haa haaa... Let's just keep this hush hush for now. Very sad to see what happened to Alamance Crossing.. and they can't blame Tanger Outlets as the sole reason for it's down fall . Alamance Crossing has restaurants that people could sit down and dine in then stroll and shop in stores that aren't at Tanger. Alamance Crossing aside from it's horrible laid out parking , had lots of curb appeal when it opened. The last time I went , it was more empty vacant stores then actual places to shop...
Now it kinda feels like it's gonna end up the way of the outlet strip mall where Adam and eve is .. Alamance Crossing has so much potential, but looks like they are just have givin up on it.. I think maybe if they redid some of it for mixed use, such as build apts on top of retail then that would be a game changer for it! Also the whole JRs cigar outlet is a huge waste of space... That would also make another great mixed use spot!!!

Old 07-14-2023, 08:07 AM

6,166 posts, read 7,249,635 times
Montgomery County seems to be the odd ball. It seems so distant from the immediate Triad and actually seems closer to Charlotte or the Sandhills.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,515,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post

This is interesting, I would love to see more recent data if anyone has access to it.

I work in South Durham on the edge of RTP and interestingly I have 5 coworkers in Wake County, 5 in Durham County and 5 in Alamance County. A few headscratchers as we also have 2 Guilfords and 1 Cumberland. But sort of an interesting distribution.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:07 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,877,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think as The Raleigh Durham area gets more expensive to live, some Triangle folks will bleed over into the eastern edge of the Triad which could be the beginning of a state "megapolis". Some may not like this but we could see the countryside turn to urban sprawl from Raleigh to Winston-Salem.
Follow the Interstate. I dont care if Alamance is part of the Triad media market...it has to be in some media market. But its got potential for high growth because of the bleed over from the Triangle and Interstate access. They are currently widening I-40 in Orange County which will only make it easier to commute from Alamance.

The megalopolis will absolutely follow I-40 from Raleigh to Winston Salem. Every community along the way will be affected. There is little room for growth in Durham County anymore. Wake is filling up fast. Orange is expensive. The bleeding will happen where there is easy access and available/affordable land.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:22 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,067,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Follow the Interstate. I dont care if Alamance is part of the Triad media market...it has to be in some media market. But its got potential for high growth because of the bleed over from the Triangle and Interstate access. They are currently widening I-40 in Orange County which will only make it easier to commute from Alamance.

The megalopolis will absolutely follow I-40 from Raleigh to Winston Salem. Every community along the way will be affected. There is little room for growth in Durham County anymore. Wake is filling up fast. Orange is expensive. The bleeding will happen where there is easy access and available/affordable land.
Yep. Look at NOVA. A lot of the growth there has bled into Fredericksburg and even further south to areas like Ruther Glen and Ashland. The ability to work from home and/or have a hybrid type schedule where you only commute once or twice a week will only accelerate that.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:39 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,877,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post

Based on this there were about 17k commuting to the 3 main Triangle counties and about 10K traveling to the 2 main Triad counties.

Those numbers are just going up. Sure Greensboro has more influence on Alamance than Durham but regionally, the job numbers are highly in favor of the Triangle. Greensboro also has more to do with Alamance because of Elon University being in Alamance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point