Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 16,023 times

Advertisements

Looks like I might be moving to Greensboro in January to start a second undergrad degree at UNC-G (I am changing careers). I currently live about 8 miles from downtown Richmond and love the area (University of Richmond area if anyone is familiar). I went to college at William & Mary in Williamsburg and I really don't like the idea of living in a college town again. I love Charlotte, but have no desire to commute that far. I am looking at two years of school. It's not a necessity to be within walking distance of campus: are there are other nice communities outside of the city proper?

What can I expect as far as the social scene? I am not into the bar deal but would hope to find some other counterparts - esp. since I will be taking class again with undergrads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Kernersville

Or what about Kernersville or Winston-Salem. I drove to the UNC-G campus a few years back and was not impressed ... the downtown area was cute, but the surrounding areas seemed so sketchy...

Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,827 times
No social scene. Make friends at school.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,583,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobehealthy View Post
Looks like I might be moving to Greensboro in January to start a second undergrad degree at UNC-G (I am changing careers). I currently live about 8 miles from downtown Richmond and love the area (University of Richmond area if anyone is familiar). I went to college at William & Mary in Williamsburg and I really don't like the idea of living in a college town again. I love Charlotte, but have no desire to commute that far. I am looking at two years of school. It's not a necessity to be within walking distance of campus: are there are other nice communities outside of the city proper?

What can I expect as far as the social scene? I am not into the bar deal but would hope to find some other counterparts - esp. since I will be taking class again with undergrads.
Greensboro has a pretty good social scene. Alot of college students tend to congregate downtown after hours to the bars, nightclubs and places like Triad Stage. There are two universities and two colleges that border downtown Greensboro, plus a law school.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,892 times
Wellllllll, let's see. If you don't do the "bar" scene, you will miss out on things like the N Club, which is a bump bump bump nightclub. And McCoul's which is a restaurant/bar that I quite enjoy on occasion. There's a loose knit punk rock scene here that does shows in basements and occasionally on Grove Street at The Hive. Live music and Coffee at the Green Bean (yum). There's Jazz shows on occasion, there's the Eastern Music Festival during the summer... I used to own a record store, so most of my stuff to do involves music, sorry.

There's lots of stuff here and lots of good folks. You just gotta get out and find em.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the replies! I am sure its a great place to live .. I know I am just nervous about the idea of picking up and moving and being back in school . Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 PM

33 posts, read 118,187 times
I share your feelings on this one... my boyfriend and I just both moved here, intending to get our grad degrees (or in his case, possibly a 2nd BA instead) at UNCG. But since we haven't started there yet, we've been looking for places to hang out with people around our age and make some friends. We're not really into the loud, can't-talk-over-the-music nightclubs/bars, but at the same time... where do you find people our age to hang out with? lol

So far downtown we've gone to Cafe Europa (correct me on spelling... it's near Cultural Center), and it is really hyped up for nothing. We were there on a Friday night and there was NO ONE there. No good music, no scene. It tries to be European (beer and wine selection), but the music at the time was Jamaican, lol. It's really just a cafe that I'm sure would be more interesting for an afternoon snack than anything else. We also went to Churchills on Elm but A) it requires a membership after certain hours to enter and B) it's an older crowd. Though MUCH more lively and enjoyable than the Cafe, and live music!

We were told by the bartender at Churchill's (who was our age) that there are some bars/clubs on Tate St, Mendenhall, and others nearby to the campus that obviously target the younger crowd. So far I haven't really seen anything on Elm St to be impressed by in terms of night life. Now there are definitely some good places to eat, some artsie places, Triad Stage, etc, and plus Natty Greene's, but not really "night life." Then again, I come from Tampa, FL, and we have Ybor City down there!

Also... I really don't think this is a "college town." So no worries in that regard.

Where to live? I'd suggest not near to the campus. The more Northwesterly you live, the better, it seems to me (we live on Battleground Ave, which is great). Southeasterly seems a tad more run down from what I've seen, and some say they don't feel *as* safe in those areas at night.

Anyway, those are just my observations, with the disclaimer that we've only lived here one month and haven't gotten to explore TOO much yet!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,583,816 times
Have you been to "The Press" downtown in Southside? Its a pretty laid back Wine Cafe/Restaurant that has live jazz music on Thursday nights and the weekends.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM

absentchaos...

thanks for the reply ... we should stay in touch! hopefully i will be moving in january and like your BF will be completing a second bach degree since I hate my first one (accounting)...how is gboro treating you guys so far?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 118,187 times
Yeah! We should definitely stay in touch... though I don't know if there is an email function on city-data? I just joined the forums a few weeks ago.

We're loving Greensboro, it's nice to have someplace new to explore... plus even after discovering Greensboro, it's time to start exploring High Point & Winston Salem. It seems like a very nice area on the whole, with plenty to do in all three cities.

Maybe we'll see you in January!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point