Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 AM

33 posts, read 118,163 times

Advertisements

Well, thanks, Sushi. I actually am trying to find similar jobs, so I'm glad at least someone thinks I'm qualified! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Raw facts are really hard to compare. For instance, West Palm Beach is 55.1 sq. m. and had 99,377 inhabitants as of July 2007 with a population density of 1755 people per sq. mi.; Greensboro is 104.7 sq. mi./247,183, density 2268 people/sq. mi, and W-S is 108.9 sq. mi./215,348, density 1914 people/sq. mi. but since S. FL was pre-planned and had rapid growth, one city blends right into the next, so the feeling can be of actually being in a much larger city than in reality. And traffic, especially on I-95, can be a pain; in the city there are too many traffic lights and rather short distances take much longer to cover for that reason - and it's something I very much dislike. Since I have no idea what the cities in the Triad are like, I don't know what to expect in this regard.

One "small" city I lived in and liked was Wilmington, DE which has about 1/5 the area of WPB with about 20,000 fewer people. Besides how easy it was for me to learn my way around there, I liked that most neighbourhoods were quiet, which is not the case in WPB, it's been pretty noisy in the two neighborhoods where I've lived. Maybe what I miss about a smaller place is the peaceful surroundings, I don't tolerate stress very well so I want to eliminate as much of it as possible.

In conclusion, the actual size of the city may not be the most important thing but rather the "pace" of said city. Obviously, I need one with a slower pace... So if anyone can comment on this I'll really appreciate it.
Have you considered Hendersonville, NC? It's just south of Asheville and has a population of 11,000....but is just outside of Asheville...population 80,000 or so. Plenty of work options, fairly affordable, not congested, clean air, trees and mountains! Hendersonville has been named one of the best retirement cities in the US because of it's cost of living, access to good healthcare and ease of living.

Hendersonville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Relocation - Henderson County Chamber (Hendersonville, NC)
Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville & Flat Rock, NC | Henderson County Travel & Tourism | Welcome Center

Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
you might want to consider mount airy, nc. it is in the nc foothills on the border of virginia. small town, lots of beautiful views of blue ridge mountains, and the hometown of andy griffith. what more could you want?

Old 09-20-2008, 03:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you considered Hendersonville, NC? It's just south of Asheville and has a population of 11,000....but is just outside of Asheville...population 80,000 or so. Plenty of work options, fairly affordable, not congested, clean air, trees and mountains! Hendersonville has been named one of the best retirement cities in the US because of it's cost of living, access to good healthcare and ease of living.

Hendersonville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Relocation - Henderson County Chamber (Hendersonville, NC)
Visitors Information Center | Hendersonville & Flat Rock, NC | Henderson County Travel & Tourism | Welcome Center
Actually, the name of that town came up after filling up a quiz to find a suitable place to live, it's just that it's all so overwhelming. It seems there are so many possibilities that even if I make up my mind to go visit soon I wouldn't know where to go nor do I think I could cover all I want.

I thank you for the above links although I think I've already visited most. I wonder also if the information offered to visitors would be of real help for someone who wants to relocate. What I'd like to have is several pen-pals that little by little would describe the place in their own way, show me pictures or videos of the place and tell me what their own experiences have been, any volunteers?

Old 09-20-2008, 04:02 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingobiller View Post
you might want to consider mount airy, nc. it is in the nc foothills on the border of virginia. small town, lots of beautiful views of blue ridge mountains, and the hometown of andy griffith. what more could you want?
That town was also suggested to me in the results of the quiz I took. However, when I read a description of the town the idea that it would be like Mayberry turned me off, if there was a TV show I avoided watching like the plague it was The Andy Griffith Show, but then I was a lot younger and small towns were not my cup of tea. Who knows, maybe now I'll feel differently. Any place where I can see some good pictures of it please?

P.S. How far is it from the bigger cities in the Triad?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
TiredofSFL - what kind of quiz was that? Sounds interesting. Post a link if you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point