Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM

389 posts, read 1,076,245 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of deciding where we want to settle down, and I know that NC is a relatively nice state, all things considered. That said, I'd really like to know how difficult homeschooling is in the state and, more importantly, how nosy the government is in NC.

My wife homeschools our children (for academic reasons, not religious), and she wants to do this at least until our children are in high scool. What is the age for compulsory education in NC (in Washington State, it's 8), what do you have to do to homeschool, and how much of an expense is it?

Any info is MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,809 times
NC is one of the easiest states for homeschool families.

Requirements:

Ages 7-16 must attend.

Must file with the state that you intend to homeschool.

Instructor must have HS diploma or GED.

Must attend 180 days a year (No required amt. of time per day)

Must maintain attendance and immunization records for each student.

Must administer a nationally standardized test each year.

There are no curriculum requirements.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM

389 posts, read 1,076,245 times
What else do they require to see other than attendance and immunization records? Anything?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,809 times
Actually, they require that you keep them on hand, but very rarely ask to see them.

A home visit is POSSIBLE, but if they do wish to visit, they schedule an appointment first.

Most of the time they simply send a letter saying they are visiting by mail and ask if you have all your records on file.

You check 'Yes', mail it in, and you're done.

We homeschool, and I know several families who homeschooled all the way through graduation & never had a visit.

You need to keep the standardized tests on file as well.

There are local places that give the tests, or you can mail order the tests and send it in for grading. It's not very expensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM

15 posts, read 80,658 times
There are a couple of Yahoo groups for homeschoolers in the Piedmont/Triad area. You will find lots of support, and an unbelievable amount of activities. Try Yahoo groups: triadhomeschoolers and piedmonthomeschoolers. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 35,602 times
TY for this information. I am new to hs and need all the advice I can get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point