Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM

322 posts, read 669,581 times

Advertisements

Come on down...Winston-Salem has a long standing relationship with the folks from Philly. Charles Barton Keen, who was the architect of Reynolda, was from Philly, and at the time during the teens and twenties, he had so much work in Winston-Salem, he had to open another office in the RJReynolds Tower. Graylyn was based architecturally on bits and pieces of the great suburban homes on the Main Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 PM

180 posts, read 703,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another Philly resident ready to bolt? After 5 years here, and another 5 years prior in the heart of Washington DC I'm ready for some peace, quiet, clean air, TREES and less hustle-bustle..and oh yeah it doesn't cost a fortune to live there!
Can't bolt anytime soon--I just moved here for a great position at UPenn last year. I've actually got a nice life in Philly, but I do definitely miss W-S and NC.

And the cost of living, quality of life is great down there. I miss that most of all. I had a wonderful place to live that cost me just under $500/mo, hardwood floors, w/d, etc., etc...now for something of equivalent square footage and amenities, I pay 5x that!!! *screams*

Old 09-16-2008, 05:05 AM

27,312 posts, read 44,309,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docindigo76 View Post
Can't bolt anytime soon--I just moved here for a great position at UPenn last year. I've actually got a nice life in Philly, but I do definitely miss W-S and NC.

And the cost of living, quality of life is great down there. I miss that most of all. I had a wonderful place to live that cost me just under $500/mo, hardwood floors, w/d, etc., etc...now for something of equivalent square footage and amenities, I pay 5x that!!! *screams*
The cost of living difference is staggering. I bought a 2 Bedroom rowhouse in the Port Richmond neighborhood 4 years ago for $62K and figure it will sell as others have for two and a half times that. I can buy a 2 bedroom condo in Georgetown or Tully Square for around $45K (without a mortgage) and live quite comfortably. Not having to live the never-ending financial struggle as a Retail Manager who had the audacity to become a homeowner has become pretty appealing. Winston Salem is almost like a big secret, where else can you find housing that inexpensive, and yet it's a really nice place to live.
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak...anything bad I'm missing?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM

112 posts, read 291,366 times
Quote:
Winston Salem is almost like a big secret, where else can you find housing that inexpensive, and yet it's a really nice place to live.
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak...anything bad I'm missing?
there's some negativity about the economy, due to several of the large local companies (Reynolds Tobacco, Hanes, Wachovia, etc) laying off people, but at the same time, there's a strong base here with the universities (Wake Forest, WSSU, Salem College) and health care industry, and a burgeoning biotech sector.

all in all, we love living here. love the size, the pace, climate, topography, proximity to mountains or beaches, meaningful arts community, no traffic to speak of.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM

112 posts, read 291,366 times
Quote:
Thank god I'm really not losing my mind...I had sworn the complexes were closer to WFU than where the Country Club Road area is. So does that area still have services nearby or is it a bit more residential?
University Parkway is a large north/south road, extending from downtown (as Cherry St.) all the way north past Highway 52. The Wake Forest football and basketball complexes are right near where you're loooking, so there is plenty of retail in that area.

One concern might be areas not-far-away that are struggling economically and have higher-than-average crime rates. Go a little south or east and it won't take long to find them.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM

One concern might be areas not-far-away that are struggling economically and have higher-than-average crime rates. Go a little south or east and it won't take long to find them.[/quote]

Like around the corner or a few miles? A few miles wouldn't bother me, but having to drive through that doesn't seem good. My recollection of anything within a few miles south of WFU was that it's at least middle-class suburban..??

Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Texan View Post
there's some negativity about the economy, due to several of the large local companies (Reynolds Tobacco, Hanes, Wachovia, etc) laying off people, but at the same time, there's a strong base here with the universities (Wake Forest, WSSU, Salem College) and health care industry, and a burgeoning biotech sector.

all in all, we love living here. love the size, the pace, climate, topography, proximity to mountains or beaches, meaningful arts community, no traffic to speak of.
Unfortunately this is the case pretty much everywhere, but the difference being in cities like mine they're not handing out price breaks on taxes, housing, food or utilities to compensate. Moving to Winston Salem would change the playing field for me. No mortgage, about 8%-10% less taken out for payroll taxes, lower food costs, lower utility costs and oh yeah, far less urban hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point