Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM

33 posts, read 89,783 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback. I am quite confident that I will find a position within my area of expertise. Greensboro is a wonderful place full of heritage, culture and arts. What I have enjoyed most in my job searching is learning more about the region. For example, I filled a one day job assignment at a upscale furniture showroom in High Point preparing for Market in October and learned about this multi billion dollar industry right here in the Triad. I have had the opportunity to interview with a Berkshire-Hathaway company and the Corporate Headquarter for Tanger Outlets. And last but certainly not least the Holistic arena here in the Triad which I am jumping for joy over. The Triad region is actually more progressive in the way of Alternative Health than the DC metropolitan area.

Not that I'm comparing :-) But I am enjoying my new Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM

83 posts, read 246,392 times
2UBPeace

I sent you an email...glad to hear everything is going well. I plan to be there quicker than I expected...

Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
I think all & all this seems to be pretty true. People are getting laid off, and then you have all these people you have to compete with. The job market is really bad right now, so I was looking for encouragement. Even with an education, you really do hope that things will begin to look up, that you are not wasting your time. Now imagine being at the very bottom, doing really well in school; there are people who will still not think very much of you, which makes it even more frustrating! Some employers, it's like mandatory you wear a tie, and if you do not wear the tie - even if you just wear a nice suit, it's like, "Where's the tie?" Word-of-mouth, business cards, I don't think was mentioned here. The way I hear it, a lot of college kids are saying they've worked at jobs a lot longer than they really have, many people have to lie in this day & age, and say they have experience they don't really have or they are just out of luck. Here you have to have exp. in just about everything. So, my question would be, if you are just starting out, you have to actually GET THE EXPERIENCE somehow, which makes it really unreasonable for the majority of kids trying to better themselves, right out of college. Net-work!

Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 AM

33 posts, read 89,783 times
I just want to provide everyone with an update. No matter what DON'T Give Up! Network, Network, Network! and always maintain a sense of optimism. Above all else be willing to Step Outside of Your Box. I did not know anyone when I came to Greensboro so I did not know where to begin to network. I started with temp agencies and networked there. I signed up with several and made it a point to call every morning to make myself available for fill in or one day assignments. These assignments enabled me to network on site. Not from the standpoint of my name is ___________ and I need a job really bad but through conversation and mainly asking questions about the area. It is human nature for people to want to help and I was able to learn alot about the Triad this way.

Look at temp agencies as a way to network, learn new things and make money at the same time.

2UBPeace
Maegan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point