Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

50 posts, read 102,444 times

Advertisements

We've heard gunshots near our house, and although it's not within the city limits of Asheboro, it's also not an area with large properties. Most of the houses in this immediate area are pretty close together. We're only about a 2 minute drive outside of city limits.

We called the Sheriff's department to ask them about it, but all they said was that it's legal for people to fire guns in their backyards in the parts of Asheboro outside city limits.

Does anyone one know of any more specific details regarding this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
Not sure I would totally agree with the information given to you by your local Sheriff's Office. All the areas I've lived in normally specify that firearms may not be routinely discharged within a certain distance of another dwelling, even in rural areas of the state due to the public safety issue. I doubt there's anything unique about Randolph County in that regard. There may also be a local "nuisance" ordinance concerning noise levels that may come into play here too.

"No person shall discharge a firearm in such a manner as to allow the projectile from that firearm to impact upon or travel across the property of another without the consent of that property owner or the lawful occupier thereof."

Effective - June 7, 1993

http://www.co.randolph.nc.us/ordinances/PDF/discharge_firearm.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 11-05-2008 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 PM

535 posts, read 1,742,559 times
I live in the city - a mile or two from the country - and I can hear the reports of guns sometimes. In the winter they carry quite a bit esp since the trees have all lost their leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point