Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 12,464 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Winston-Salem from PA. I'm looking for some places I can take my dog walking and swimming. I've been to the dog parks. But I'd like to find some walking trails where I could possible let him off his leash to romp around for a bit. And maybe go for a swim. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM

34 posts, read 144,403 times
Default Dog friendly places

I am looking around for the same type thing....if I find any good places, I'll let you know...please do the same.
I am trying to find out where at High Rock Lake and where exactly on the Yadkin River, I could take my dog. Summer is coming and it would be great fun.
Thanks, Scott (edgenaples2002@yahoo.com )

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
With the exception of dog parks cities have a pretty tight (ahem) leash on letting dogs "romp" around.
Try this:
North Carolina Dog Fun Listings

Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Would agree. Lease laws are fair common now. Of course this is due to many careless owners. Suggest you be friend a farm with some fields. Good luck

Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Lake Daniels park, it has a creek, a good place for dogs to chase frisbees.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
With the exception of dog parks cities have a pretty tight (ahem) leash on letting dogs "romp" around.
Try this:
North Carolina Dog Fun Listings
actually, the law reads "controlled by some device" this also means voice commands. I had a German Shepherd working dog, he needed no leash, he was very well trained. If your dog is not well trained to voice commands, then use a leash. I had trained him to look both ways then cross the street when there was a break in traffic.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM

108 posts, read 371,642 times
There are some great dog sport options in this area as well. I attend agility classes at DogLogic in Statesville, have taken a competition obedience class at the Winston-Salem Dog Training Club, driven out to Sanford for monthly dock diving practice (there's one this Saturday actually), etc.

I have hiked my dog off lead at Hanging Rock, but it is not allowed technically so I only suggest it if your dog has impeccable off leash manners (mine recalls to me whenever we encounter other hikers, including those with dogs, and wildlife, she does not stray off the trail, and she is leashed if the trail is busy or very difficult to navigate). I've had a reactive dog before and thus my dogs are never allowed to greet anyone or anydog without express permission. We do have a friend with property and we hike there frequently, so I second befriending someone with land.

There's a lure coursing fun day April 17th in Statesville - open to all breeds. $10 for two tries. Held from 1-4pm at Circle of Friends Greyhound Rescue (245 Loggerhead Rd, Statesville, NC 28625).

eta: I also go up to Carolina Marina in Stokesdale after hours for dog swimming and dock diving practice.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:10 PM

34 posts, read 144,403 times
Any other swimming spots to take a dog ? Thank you !

Old 04-18-2011, 04:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
I take my dog to Tanglewood Park in Clemmons...there is a wooded area with horse trails and huge open fields along the Yadkin River that is outside of the admission gate. We still haven't gotten a chance to explore the entire area - that's how large it is. I'm sure dogs are supposed to be on a leash, but the space is so expansive there isn't any problem (as long as your dog is pretty well-behaved).

Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Just do whatever you can get away with that doesn't bother other people in practice. Suburbs with nice lawns are terrible places to take your dog off-leash. People are very defensive about their lawns, and you don't have very many choices of streets to go down. So, if someone takes a disliking to you and starts threatening you, you can't get away from them. Contrast that to a grid system, where if someone doesn't like you, you just walk 1 block over and never deal with them again.

Park schmark, go at some time of day when people aren't around and just pick up your dog's poop. Someone has to actually be around to give you the third degree. Some developments have jogging trails, same idea. Go when nobody's around. Don't go on Saturday afternoon in nice weather when people are using the jogging trail heavily.

There are some bars downtown that will allow dogs in the patio area, and some that will even allow the dogs inside. I'm not going to name them because someone got anal about it in Raleigh and gave them notice that they couldn't do it anymore. Just ask around and you'll find them. Krankie's Coffee was dog friendly until only a few months ago; some customer threw a fit and that's all she wrote for the dogs. What a pity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point