Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Banning parking in front yards in Greensboro, what do you think?
Great new rule! 13 68.42%
Terrible new rule! 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,623 times

Advertisements

Greensboro, NC -- Come July 2009, it will matter to Greensboro where you park, even at home.

The city is outlawing parking on lawns and setting rules on how to "properly" park at home. The ordinance applies to homes and duplexes.

Other parking rules that will be enforced with the ordinance:

* Parking areas must also be clearly marked and maintained.
* Parking spaces and driveways must also be built with a hard, all-weather surface such as asphalt, concrete, brick, or gravel.
* Grass and dirt areas will also not be acceptable for parking spaces and driveways.
* No more than 40% of the front yard may be used for parking. This change will not impact temporary events or short term gatherings.

Th ordinance goes into effect July 15, 2009.

New Parking Rule Means No Parking In Your Yard | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Watercooler News (http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=116434&catid=176 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Greensboro, NC -- Come July 2009, it will matter to Greensboro where you park, even at home.

The city is outlawing parking on lawns and setting rules on how to "properly" park at home. The ordinance applies to homes and duplexes.

Other parking rules that will be enforced with the ordinance:

* Parking areas must also be clearly marked and maintained.
* Parking spaces and driveways must also be built with a hard, all-weather surface such as asphalt, concrete, brick, or gravel.
* Grass and dirt areas will also not be acceptable for parking spaces and driveways.
* No more than 40% of the front yard may be used for parking. This change will not impact temporary events or short term gatherings.

Th ordinance goes into effect July 15, 2009.

New Parking Rule Means No Parking In Your Yard | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Watercooler News (http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=116434&catid=176 - broken link)
Charlotte has had that for a long time...you can't even have 1 tire in your grass or you get a $25 citation. Charlotte also has an EXCELLENT ordinance that you can not have a couch or or appliance on your front porch...and YES I have seen it before in my lifetime.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
OUCH- but that's why many will not live in the city.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
OUCH- but that's why many will not live in the city.
Why is that. There is NO need to park in the front lawn...especially when you have a driveway. Just doesn't make sense at all.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Chapel Hill enacted a similar ordinance to keep students from living 10 to a house and parking their cars in the yard. In general it's a good rule but there should be some exceptions for folks in rural areas that are annexed by cities.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
...Charlotte also has an EXCELLENT ordinance that you can not have a couch or or appliance on your front porch...and YES I have seen it before in my lifetime.

Ouch!!! I am ok about the parking, but nothing says "down home" like a sofa on the front porch. Next thing you know, you can't have a bunch of dogs under your front steps!

lln

Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Ouch!!! I am ok about the parking, but nothing says "down home" like a sofa on the front porch. Next thing you know, you can't have a bunch of dogs under your front steps!

lln
LOL!

Don't you mean that nothing screams more redneck than parking in your front yard then going to get a beer out of the fridge on your front porch before relaxing on that couch beside the fridge!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,452 times
That would mean a revolt in the western part of the state. I passed an area today where all of the houses had junk cars out front. The "classy" house had them up on blocks.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
That would mean a revolt in the western part of the state. I passed an area today where all of the houses had junk cars out front. The "classy" house had them up on blocks.
Not just the Western part of the state...but Eastern NC where it is very poor & rural too! I have even seen it in some not so nice Charlotte neighborhoods.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Cinderblocks or blocks of wood? The choice between the two says a lot about a person's upbringing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point