Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM

254 posts, read 926,218 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any idea what it might cost to have a 70-acre, wooded, hilly tract re-surveyed? We're beginning to have land disputes due to a 1970s survey of the tract and those around it being incorrect (surveyor placed many pins far - in some places as far as 500 feet - from the actual corners because the corners called for by the 1911 survey were marked by impermanent features (trees, stones, etc.), and all subsequent surveys have referenced the pins set by the 1970s survey. The older survey did have good distances and directions that don't match the 1970s survey, but do line up with the landscape much better.

I have no idea what kind of price range we're talking here. $1000? $5000??? My tract has been short nearly 10 acres since the 70s thanks to this bogus survey and I really want it fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,849,260 times
not sure how much it would cost, but there is a lot of it you can do yourself to save some money. you would probably be looking at at least $5,000 if I had to guess. you could do the grunt work yourself and just have a surveyor come in behind your work.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM

254 posts, read 926,218 times
What grunt work? I've already flagged the actual corners as described by the earlier deeds.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,849,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohaagen View Post
What grunt work? I've already flagged the actual corners as described by the earlier deeds.

the surveyor is going to need a line of sight between the property corners to come in and locate them. if there is brush, saplings, ect., you can clear it out with a brush ax or a machette. no sense in paying a crew $300 an hour or something. clearing the line of sight is what takes all the time. you are paying a professional surveyor to do a laborers job.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 AM

16 posts, read 61,131 times
Quote:
Anyone have any idea what it might cost to have a 70-acre, wooded, hilly tract re-surveyed? We're beginning to have land disputes due to a 1970s survey of the tract and those around it being incorrect (surveyor placed many pins far - in some places as far as 500 feet - from the actual corners because the corners called for by the 1911 survey were marked by impermanent features (trees, stones, etc.), and all subsequent surveys have referenced the pins set by the 1970s survey. The older survey did have good distances and directions that don't match the 1970s survey, but do line up with the landscape much better.

I have no idea what kind of price range we're talking here. $1000? $5000??? My tract has been short nearly 10 acres since the 70s thanks to this bogus survey and I really want it fixed.
Oh wow! N.C. mtns is where my husband first started surveying. He has told me about some of the unbelieveable places he had to go to find corners. I feel for you. He had to rely on stones, fense posts, certain kinds of trees, it did not sound easy figuring that out. But you don't have to totally clear the line of site! If my husband, who is a registered land surveyor, can figure how to survey around boganvilia,(a thorny bush) etc., any surveyor should be able to do the same. It does require more shots, but it can be done. And surveying by meeks and bounds is different from section work like here in FL.
And yes, you will pay more if the line is not cleared, I'm just saying you don't have to totally clear the line. And if a line is off 500ft. how are you going to clear a line that is possibly on someone's property? But maybe its not.
All I know from helping him for the last 8 yrs. is that the majority of people think they know where their property corners are, but are seldom right.
I would charge you at least $5,000 minimum depending on how hilly and woody it is. Surveying is hard work especially in the mtns.

Last edited by rodwoman; 11-14-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 AM

16 posts, read 61,131 times
Quote:
That sounds familiar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point