Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 86,907 times

Advertisements

Hi....my husband is considering accepting a position in Greensboro. We are originally from NJ, but have lived in OK for the past seven years. We have never been to NC before (except to drive through). I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the area, but it is difficult without first hand knowledge.

I have been reading the posts on both boards (Greensboro and Raleigh/Durham) but can not find any info on commuting between the two. My biggest concerns are school district and cost of housing. We hope to find something in the $200,000-$225,000 range. Newer or updated, 1800+ s.f., 3 BR, 2 BA in a great school district. Availablility of a wide variety of AP classes is a must. My daughter is a ninth grader, and has already taken (and aced) Algebra I, Honors Geometry, Algebra II, Bilogy I & II, Spanish I & II, and Pre-AP English. Aside from an excellent school district, we are also concerned about the commute to Raleigh from where we live. We will be making the trip to Raleigh at least 2 times per week, sometimes as many as 4 or 5. Living somewhere between the two (Greensboro & Raleigh) would be ideal. Are there any areas that come to mind that offer a great education with affordable housing? (What about areas with a great education but with much higher housing prices?)

Any information is GREATLY appreciated.....thanks in advance for your time!

Kristi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 40,302 times
Default Live in Greensboro!

If your husband is working in Greensboro, live in Greensboro! Raleigh is 1 1/2 hours away and has much HIGHER cost of living ... especially housing. I live in Raleigh and love it, but we're planning on moving to the TRIAD because my husband's business is requiring him to commute to Greensboro more and more. I'm heartbroken to leave the capital city, but am happy to know I still can get great schools, great parks, and more house in Greensboro. Just my two cents.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Hi eporter...thanks for the input. I feel as if living in Greensboro would be the better choice geographically. Especially when I compare prices of real estate to the Triangle area. We are considering Hillsborough or the part of Mebane that is in the Orange County school district, but even those areas are 45 minutes to an hour away from Greensboro. The problem I am having is the schools in Greensboro. On paper, their test scores and other data just do not compare favorably. Are there good school districts in Greensboro? Where are they? I have been told to look "north" but even those schools seem overcrowded and do not have great scores on paper. They also do not offer more than 4-5 AP classes, for the most part. (The Orange County High Schools offer 14 AP classes.) My daughters are academically gifted, and I really would like to give them every opportunity possible. My oldest daughter is very driven and is sometimes more worried about what classes will be available to her when we move than I am. Any info you have on great schools closer to Greensboro is appreciated! Thanks.....

Kristi

Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 159,234 times
Have you checked out schools in the NW part of greensboro. That is suppose to be the BETTER area of town. Safe, best schools. Zip 27410 27409

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM

34 posts, read 159,234 times
.......and also 27455, 27407, 27408

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 40,302 times
Unfortunately I'm not very knowlegable about Greensboro High Schools as we're still in Raleigh right now (and my children are pre-school and elementary age). I'm impressed and surprised that there is that much disparity between Orange Co. schools and Guilford Co. schools. Orange County used to be very rural and not have the best schools .. but much has changed with the development outside of Chapel Hill and around Hillsboro. I do know that reputation-wise Grimsley, Page and Ragsdale have long been known as great schools. But you need current "real" advice from parents of high schoolers for better information.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eporter View Post
But you need current "real" advice from parents of high schoolers for better information.
This is what I was hoping for here, but there doesn't seem to be many willing to respond.

Terry.....thanks for the zip codes...they are the same as the others I have heard about in the NW Greensboro area....on paper, these schools do not have great SAT scores or any other stats that are impressive. I have been impressed by Grimsley's school reports, but there seem to be slim pickings as far as real estate in that area...at least in my price range. (200-225K)

It is looking like commuting is the way to go, although I was really hoping to find affordable housing in a great school district closer to Greensboro.

Does anyone know anything about Burlington schools???? Thanks in advance!

Kristi

Old 07-15-2007, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 23,687 times
Default Greensboro info

We are thinking about moving to Greensboro. Good school is our top priority. Could you please share info about following 8 points ?

Greensboro:

1. Housing cost for 4 bed room , 2. 5 bath housr price. 3500 squarefeet.
2. Car insurance on: 2006 Camry and 2005 Honda mini van.
3. Property tax for per 100,000 home value.
4. In general school standard.
5. Best public school [ Middle, highschool ]
6. Crime rate.
7. Future job growth
8. Economy.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 39,687 times
Don't forget to check out homes in Archdale and Trinity. They are small towns in Randolph County that are only 15 or so minutes from Greensboro. The taxes are lower and the schools are much better than Guilford. The zip codes are 27370 for Trinity and 27263 for Archdale. Keep in mind that on the realtor websites, 27263 sometimes appears as High Point, but don't worry, it's Archdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point