Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times

Advertisements

Luigi's in south Winston-Salem in the Oiver's Crossing Shopping Center has really good pizza! I was surprised by how good it was and the price was great too. I wanted to spread the word because I think it is important to support our non-chain restaurants around here! They have an extensive menu, but we have only done the pizza.

Luigi's
(336) 785-1085
5076 Peters Creek Pkwy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM

254 posts, read 924,971 times
Haven't tried their pizza, but their sandwiches are awful and the service is snail-paced and a bit rude. I ususally like to give the pie a try at least once at each pizza place, but I was too turned off in my 3 visits so far to return for more abuse. Without trying their pizza, at best I would describe the fare as "Redneck Italian". Should I just pick up a pizza to go some day and give it a shot? Or will it be more along the lines of Pizza Hut, Papa John's or Dominoes than something like Elizabeth's?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 PM

I know what you mean about calling the Italian "redneck" Italian because that is exactly how we feel about the Mexican food next door at El Paisano (something like that) and have tried to give them a chance a few times and just can't stomach going back. I am an Italian food snob being full blooded Italian, so I never eat Italian out, but on some lazy days would prefer not making my own homemade pizza. We were pleasantly surprised by Luigi's pizza. I would recommend it as a good pizza for our side of town. It can be a drag living in North Davidson county for that reason! I always hear rave reviews about Elizabeth's, but ironically only had their subs and was not that impressed.
Luigi's is under new management according to their sign, so I would say give them a second chance for pizza. I went in the other day and had it ready in less than 10 minutes while I went to Lowe's to pick up groceries. Have you tried the sushi place next door? Once again, sushi rolls & miso surprising good for this side of town, but not so much for the chicken or tempura.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Elizabeth's has grown as a chain and the one thing you must understand about them is that there is not consistency between locations. The absolute best when I was younger was the location run by the Erichello's on Summit Avenue in Gboro, but their quality has diminished over the years. No other location (nor any Italian restaurant in the area) has been able to replicate the outstanding pizza made by that location during the 80s and 90s. I constantly meet people who rave about places like Mario's and all I can say is that they have no idea about great NY style pie. These days, I really couldn't tell you which Elizabeth's are the best in quality. I can tell you that you must avoid the locations in Lexington and on University in W-S like the plague, but that the Winston location on Silas Creek and the Thomasville location near Wal-Mart are palatable. In Gboro, the locations on Lawndale, Battleground and W. Market aren't bad at all. I might revisit Luigi's if they're under new management, at least to test the pizza. I have tried the Japanese place beside it. I honestly hated the sushi, but some of the more ordinary items on the menu aren't terrible. I haven't found an amazing sushi place around here, but I enjoy Wasabi in Gboro and this place in W-S at Thruway (I forget the name).

Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM

I knew Elisabeth's was a local chain, but didn't realize it wasn't consistent. I was in the hospital having a baby, so husband brought some salads and subs from the Silas Creek location. If you have to drive out of your way for Luigi's, I wouldn't go that far to recommend it! I hear you about the sushi too. I think we were so shocked to find it 1/2 decent that we go back because it is close. We live only about 5 miles from that shopping center. Once again, I wouldn't drive out of my way for it. We drive across town for La Bonita for Mexican food, Sweet Potatoes for southern food and Christopher's for decadent food, Foothills Brewery to fill our growler (not for food!), and Mellow Mushroom to get BBQ chicken pizza. Otherwise, we cook at home to save money. I am fortunately a pretty decent cook. Can you recommend an Indian place? I miss Indian food....But, we don't go to Greensboro, too hard with young kiddies.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:33 PM

The only Indian that I know of in W-S are Nawab, which I would avoid, and Turmeric, which I've never tried. There was a place in Gboro that was decent, and is still an Indian restaurant, but I believe it's under another name and I can no longer vouch for quality. It's on W. Market near Bert's Seafood (which, by the way, was amazing at its former location but is now merely a shell of its former glory).

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
Hi all,

Regarding Elizabeth's, there was a story in the paper about them a number of years ago. It started with one family who came down from somewhere in PA, I believe. Over the years, other locations were opened by family members, and some have been sold to others outside the family since then...thus the inconsistency. I do like the Silas Creek location.

For Indian, there are two I can recommend. I think the best is Turmeric, which is tucked in a little shopping center behind the Flow dealership on Stratford Rd. It's very good. There's also Nawab, on Stratford near the 5 points intersection (behind Big Shotz Tavern). I like Nawab too, but Indian friends tell me it's not as authentic as Turmeric. Both have lunch buffets, which are nice if you're not familiar with the cuisine as you can try different things. There's also the Golden India restaurant off Reynolda Rd., but I've never been. Reviews are mixed.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM

I've been meaning to try Turmeric. I've heard nothing but good things.
I think I spent 2/3 of my childhood in Elizabeth's, eating pizza and playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Temple of Doom and Bad Dudes! Great - now I'm hungry AND longing for the good ol' days...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,623 times
Elizabeth's is the most over rated restaurant in Greensboro! I don't know why it is so popular, it is average to below average IMHO.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Which ones do you go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point