Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,901 times

Advertisements

Want safe, affordable housing in North Carolina

Can you have a great garden? or is soil too much like clay to grow one?

Coming from new hampshire which is really, really, really, expensive.

(Thelma and Louise) but 60ish.

Last edited by karen davies; 09-11-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: make clearer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen davies View Post
Safe, affordable housing
Where are you talking about? NC is a large state. You've got to narrow it down a bit, and details about what specifically you're looking for would be helpful. Do you have a job lined up? Are you aware NC is #6 in unemployment in the US right now?

Quote:
Can you have a great garden or is soil too much clay to grow one?
The clay is a pain, for sure, but with enough peat moss, etc that you get at gardening stores, your garden can thrive. I have (not-so-fond) memories of my dad making me go out and "turn the garden" every spring (dig down into the clay and mix it up with the looser garden soil) as a kid. This state was built on agriculture!

But, it depends on what PART of the state you're talking about, which you have not mentioned.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 9,901 times
Default from NH

Central location would be our choice. Thank you

Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM

259 posts, read 732,292 times
where are you from in NH that is really expensive? (i'm considering moving there because it's inexpensive! lol)

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
Lived in NH and had to move because it was too expensive...just try to heat one of those older homes! When heating oil went up, we just had to go. I now spend about 100 a month from Nov to Mar versus 200 a month from Oct to May. Big difference!

NC is agriculture so you'll be happy to find many plants, flowers, veggies, etc that will do well.

Welcome!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM

59 posts, read 162,402 times
It depends what you are looking for. The Greensboro/Kernersville/High Point/Burlington area is very nice in general. raleigh area is more expensive and has lots more traffic. Ditto for Charlotte area. Housing has gone up considerably over the last ten years, but compared to NJ, where I'm originally from, it's a bargain.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 AM

101 posts, read 357,317 times
I moved from NNY to Thomasville 5 years ago and we have major red clay in this area (Piedmont). The clay is actually good for growing lots of things, because it has nutrients, but the only problem is that for the past three years there's been drought. NOTHING grows when it doesn't rain for months on end, and you can't water enough to keep a garden alive. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have about relocation to the piedmont area of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point