Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,448 times

Advertisements

How bad is crime in Salisbury NC.....really?
Any nice Apartment Complexes or Condos in the City Limits? With a
monthly price range from 800 to $1000?
Is it segregated for Blacks or interracial marriage ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 18,472 times
I hope someone answers because we also are thinking of this area. Heading down from N Indiana next yr. One kid to UTI and one to college? WE are an interracial family by adoption. Possibly having 2 other family members join us at a later date. Will probably need to rent a HUGE HOUSE! Ha Good luck I'll keep watching this post.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 PM

164 posts, read 358,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyplace View Post
Is it segregated for Blacks or interracial marriage ?

WHAT!?!?!?!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,312,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post

WHAT!?!?!?!

Segregated? Like in seperate areas folks of diversity live?

Or are we asking if the area is integrated? as in folks all races, creed, religion, etc...live together in the same area..other than being on the "other" side of the tracks...what side am I on?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 AM

In my opinion, I think we just want to know if it's accepted to be a mixed family. Yes, there are lots of areas in the country that actually hate us without even knowing who we are. Also, yes there are still the "other" side of the tracks in a lot of communities. My husband and I are white, my kids are black and other races, and yes I've seen the problems. But we just keep on keeping on because I know we are family. No matter the color. To bad we even have to ask such a question. Actually I would want to know about the crime rate and I can check that out on the internet. We live in a big city that has just had it's 17th homicide. But we don't live in that area of town! But the drugs that cause so many problems are everywhere. Just my 2 cents worth. Still can't wait to move to NC!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 AM

693 posts, read 1,611,135 times
I have white friends who have adopted 2 African American children. They have never received any kind of racist attitude, but a rare stupid comment here and there related to adoption. They have actually been embraced by both the white and black communities. When they visit me in my small town, they have never received a bad reaction. I grew up in W-S, and I would have a hard time imagining that people in general are going to react negatively to you. Yes, there is still racism lingering around - but that is literally everywhere I have been in the US and abroad - and in all honesty I have found the midwest (speaking only to IL) to be a bit more hostile racially than NC (mind you, this is a perception from many many years ago, so I can't speak to attitudes today).

Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM

so what small town are you in? One in NC? I also traveled with the 5 kids to Australia Hong Kong, Phillipines and lived in Papua New Guinea. We still laugh about my 3rd grade African American son coming home saying that one of the Papua New Guinea boys said that my son wasn't black. Ha! I guess to that little boy, perhaps black meant living in the village in a hut. Anyway, got off the track. We will still move to NC, but want to make sure where we go isn't one of those diminishing pockets in America full of racists. So whats with Salisbury? Anyone? Looks like a great town!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM

693 posts, read 1,611,135 times
I live in Eastern NC, but grew up for the most part in W-S. Honestly I don't know a whole lot about Salisbury. In general though I don't think you're going to be greeted with all-out bigotry in NC...many people moving from other areas of the country have an impression that the South is super-racist but in this day and age I think it's like most other places - has the good and bad.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,761,931 times
I grew up in Salisbury, and my mother lived there until she died several years ago.

I am a big supporter of Salisbury. It is equidistant to both Greensboro and Charlotte. Salisbury High School is unique in that there is tremendous pride and loyality toward it by many of both races and of all ages. Though the test scores are not up there, the folks in the upper academic tracks have great opportunity.

Salisbury has two colleges, Livingstone, mostly but not all black, and Catawba, mostly buy not all Yankee.

I don't view Salisbury as a liberal bastion by any means, but I also do not think you will find any overt racists acts/comments. Sure, there are some idiots that will say stuff to anyone, but you should not care what they think.

I was in senior in high school the year the "white" and "black" high schools merged, 1969. It was extraordinarily like the positive parts of the movie, Remember the Titans. To my knowledge no one tried to sabotage any black or white players at all. Football, since practice started it off, before school led the way and the entire year, went, from my perspective very, very good.

That is how Salisbury is. If you look for bad things you can find them, but if you are on the up and up, and stay positive, it will be great for you.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point