Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,647 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to a new area and I've always been attracted to the Carolinas. To be honest, this may be actually the closest I've come to moving and I haven't even moved off my couch LOL.

Really though, I'm in my late 20's with a bachelor degree and single. As for career direction, sales is where I'm at now and I prefer to stay in that field. However, I'm open to new opportunities.

I would not plan on buying a house, but I would like to have a nice place to rent...condo, townhouse, etc. Is Greensboro a good decision? Are there other areas in NC that would offer better opportunities?

Any and all feedback is helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 27,866 times
I am actually from PA and I am moving down to Greensboro for work in August. I also am in my later 20's and have a bachelor degree. Let me know what you find in regards to potential living possibilities and good luck man.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the message. If you're headin there in August, then most likely you're gonna beat me there. SO, I turn it to you to post what you find lol.

May I ask what field you work in? From what I've been reading, the hospital there draws a large volume of people for jobs. Unfortunately, I don't work in the medical field, so hopefully that won't limit my options for the city of Greensboro.

Hope for the best.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
I also live in PA (Philadelphia) and moving to Greensboro/Winston Salem by the fall, after I sell my house (hopefully). The Greensboro/Winston Salem metro area (called the Triad) is about the same size as the Raleigh/Durham metro (called the Triangle), but it for whatever reason seems to fly under the radar in terms of recognition. What I like about the Triad is the fact it hasn't gotten all traffic congested and built out like the eastern end of the Triangle area (Raleigh and Cary). The Triad is less expensive to live in as well. I think you'll find job opportunities similar to other areas in NC. Both Greensboro and Winston Salem have done well at attracting companies to relocate, or open new facilities. What do you do for work currently? That would help answer the question of where is best.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 27,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I also live in PA (Philadelphia) and moving to Greensboro/Winston Salem by the fall, after I sell my house (hopefully). The Greensboro/Winston Salem metro area (called the Triad) is about the same size as the Raleigh/Durham metro (called the Triangle), but it for whatever reason seems to fly under the radar in terms of recognition. What I like about the Triad is the fact it hasn't gotten all traffic congested and built out like the eastern end of the Triangle area (Raleigh and Cary). The Triad is less expensive to live in as well. I think you'll find job opportunities similar to other areas in NC. Both Greensboro and Winston Salem have done well at attracting companies to relocate, or open new facilities. What do you do for work currently? That would help answer the question of where is best.
I am going to be working for a public accounting firm starting in mid-August

Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM

525 posts, read 2,123,552 times
You can live in Kernersville and be 15 minutes to High Point, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem which would most certainly open up your options for employment. But if you plan to rent, you'll have more options in the larger cities.
Good luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM

I work in sales for a cable company. I don't know if that's the path I want continue on, but my experience is pretty limited outside of that. But heck, I have a piece of paper that says I graduated...that has to stand for something right? haha

Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM

69 posts, read 165,078 times
I've seen a lot of friends move back to the Carolinas and it seems as though Cary, Apex, Raleigh & Durham are stealing more folks away from us (Greensboro), but they are all good places to live. Charlotte is of course very nice as well as is Winston-Salem, Kernersville, the list goes on...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
Greensboro's a great community. The cost of living is affordable (a two bedroom condo rents for $700-800) and there are a variety of ways to spend your down time (downtown nightlife, arts and culture, tons of parks for leisure activities). It has a lot of big city things, like good shopping, but it feels like a medium-sized town.

There are a lot of young people here because of the seven colleges in the area. There is also a young professional network, called synerG, where you can meet people: synerG - Greensboro, North Carolina Young Professionals - Social and Professional Networking.

It's also a very diverse community, which a large minority population and a broad range of income levels.

You also have a huge range of options of where to live. There are downtown, urban -- and pricy -- apartments. And then there are extensive neighborhoods, some with historic value. Or you can even travel 15 to 20 minutes and be in a part of the county where you can live on acres and acres. It's a really nice mix.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM

That link is helpful...thank you. I think priority #1 is job hunting. Definitely would like to have some place to work before relocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point