Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,000 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
We have several families planning on moving to Greenville. We are planning a trip. How is the job market? I have read several posting saying it is a good job market but how would you rate the pay? Good, or bad? We are moving from Vero Beach Florida and here the pay is really bad. Any info would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:31 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I don't know what the salary comparison between Greenville and FL is (statistics), but I do know that Greenville County School District is both the largest in the state and growing at a rapid rate. This is the main reason the need for teachers in the district and a pay increase was just approved.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM

63 posts, read 180,815 times
I don't know how Greenville is but I'm having a horrible time finding a job and we've been here since October! It took my DH about 5 months to get started with Clemson University. As I said, we moved here in October and his first day at work was March 2nd.

At first I was really picky where I'd apply but now I've got applications in at WalMart (which a friend of mine works there and he said there is a freeze on all hiring at least at their store) Lowe's, Home Depot and the local grocery store.

I do Administrative Assistance work and when I was not getting any hits from my resume (which had always worked for me in the past ) I actually hired a man from Greenville (a professional resume writer and the only resume writer in town so his prices are EXTREMELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!! but I paid it) to revamp my resume. I got one hit from it but unfortunately didn't get the job.

I've got resumes out all over down in the Clemson, Pickens, Easley area but nothing!

It really starts getting depressing when not even WalMart (or Lowe's, HomeDepot, or Inlges) will even call you. Talk about a blow to the old self esteem.

Anyway, I may need to start looking at the Greenville way but it's so darn far from us. It takes us about 40 to 45 minutes to get to inner Greenville and with the price of gas who can afford it?

The goal was for both DH and I to get jobs at Clemson. He got in but I'm still waiting.

Good grief, I sound pathetic! But I have over 15 years of Administrative experience and I've worked for a college and two newspapers in my past. I just don't get it unless unemployment is really low around here. Like I said, not even WalMart has called me back. And, with the stores I'm just trying to get ANY job not even administrative.

By the way, we own Disney Vacation Club in Vero Beach but we've never been yet. Just used our DVC at Walt Disney World.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
You definitely should check into Greenville. The cost of gas is even worse if you don't have a job, right? In the Upstate, the best economic powerhouse (thus the best place to find a job) is Greenville. There are plenty of new jobs to go around, but you need to expand your search. Perhaps you will eventually land the Clemson job someday, but in the meanwhile, you'll have a boost to your income.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
I don't know how Greenville is but I'm having a horrible time finding a job and we've been here since October! It took my DH about 5 months to get started with Clemson University. As I said, we moved here in October and his first day at work was March 2nd.

At first I was really picky where I'd apply but now I've got applications in at WalMart (which a friend of mine works there and he said there is a freeze on all hiring at least at their store) Lowe's, Home Depot and the local grocery store.

I do Administrative Assistance work and when I was not getting any hits from my resume (which had always worked for me in the past ) I actually hired a man from Greenville (a professional resume writer and the only resume writer in town so his prices are EXTREMELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!! but I paid it) to revamp my resume. I got one hit from it but unfortunately didn't get the job.

I've got resumes out all over down in the Clemson, Pickens, Easley area but nothing!

It really starts getting depressing when not even WalMart (or Lowe's, HomeDepot, or Inlges) will even call you. Talk about a blow to the old self esteem.

Anyway, I may need to start looking at the Greenville way but it's so darn far from us. It takes us about 40 to 45 minutes to get to inner Greenville and with the price of gas who can afford it?

The goal was for both DH and I to get jobs at Clemson. He got in but I'm still waiting.

Good grief, I sound pathetic! But I have over 15 years of Administrative experience and I've worked for a college and two newspapers in my past. I just don't get it unless unemployment is really low around here. Like I said, not even WalMart has called me back. And, with the stores I'm just trying to get ANY job not even administrative.

By the way, we own Disney Vacation Club in Vero Beach but we've never been yet. Just used our DVC at Walt Disney World.

Good luck.

Hey sister Disney, What about the Pickens paper? Even with no job I bet your still happey to be in SC?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,034 times
Looking to relocate to Greenville..concerned about the job market, I am 58 and I have 30 plus years in the medical office field with management experience. My husband specializes in the construction field from supervisor to finish carpentry.
I have read some wonderful articles about the area and are planning a visit next week . Suggestions would be appreciated
regarding starting a job search....

Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM

91 posts, read 270,525 times
Seeing Disney Dreamer's post tends to reinforce my skittishness about actually making the move to the Upstate from NY.
I would still *need* a job, (even though I already own a home 20 minutes from Greenville, free and clear) to get by and survive until retirement SS kicks in, I don't need much - an $8 an hour P/T job would be sufficient for me, but if DD's experiences are any indication, I would seriously hesitate to make the move sans either solid job offer or SS kicking in.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
You do realize that post is from 2007? It's been 5 years since that poster made those remarks.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
You do realize that post is from 2007? It's been 5 years since that poster made those remarks.
LOL! I moved here after graduating college in May 2011 and had a job ever since. I wouldn't be too worried. I ended up getting my full-time job via a temp agency. I am now working with one of the largest law firms in the United States. This is all thanks to Find Great People.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
I know people like to say search on the forum before you start a topic, but when the thread you post on is 5 years old it might not be applicable to today. I didn't want Escape from NY to think you had a horrible time finding work, when now you have a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area