Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM

244 posts, read 645,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
You're right there, so all is not lost! The estimated 2009 CSA population (including the whole Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson region) was 1,264,930. The estimated 2009 MSA population including the immediate Greenville-Mauldin-Easley area was 639,617. Greenville has lots of great dining, shopping & arts opportunities. There are even great local restaurants (along with the usual chains) in the 'burbs!

Not only is Atlanta about 2 1/2 hours away, but Charlotte is even closer. But I think you'd rarely need to go to either one for anything. You may want to visit them for a change of scenery once in a while, or to be in a truly crowded, urban place however.

Pfew!

Coming from the east coast originally, I figured that the actual population of the city of Greenville might be smaller, but the surrounding towns go on and on and on so there is a much bigger population there than the actual stats on the city alone show.

this is not so in the southwest. the actual population of Santa Fe is under 70K and that IS IT. there are no surrounding towns. this is no man's land and there's nothing but desert, rattlesnakes and tumbleweed past the city limits.

I need to get back to the east coast badly!!! Santa Fe was beautiful when I visited on vacations, but living here is a different thing entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,570,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
Pfew!

Coming from the east coast originally, I figured that the actual population of the city of Greenville might be smaller, but the surrounding towns go on and on and on so there is a much bigger population there than the actual stats on the city alone show.

this is not so in the southwest. the actual population of Santa Fe is under 70K and that IS IT. there are no surrounding towns. this is no man's land and there's nothing but desert, rattlesnakes and tumbleweed past the city limits.

I need to get back to the east coast badly!!! Santa Fe was beautiful when I visited on vacations, but living here is a different thing entirely.
Yep, just dig a little deeper, and you'll find what you need. Once you come up with more specific questions, post them, and many folks will chime in with helpful info. But just reading back thru the Greenville Spartanburg Area forum will also be time well-spent.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,216,014 times
Wanderer

We lived at Preserve at Woods lake for year and half moved in fall of 08. It is very close to Trader Joes, although sadly we left b4 they opened. Now we use the Trader Joes here that we used for about 19 years.

The Preserves is a great location. Right off Haywood Rd. up the block from Haywood mall right off of I-385. We absolutely loved the apt. & complex was very well kept by staff. The enire staff there was always wonderful with anything we needed. They have many floor plans so definitely check it out online. Many move in specials. you should be able to easily get a 2 BR for about 1,100 month. Keep in mind you pay electric. Not bad as our electric bill for large 2 BR was $55 avg. Has everything you mentioned you wanted. Has washer/dryed hook-ups, and also laundry room if do not have own. What we did was rent both for extra 50 month, or you can buy your own. We were not staying long so we rented them . Office takes care of it all if you ask.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM

244 posts, read 645,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Wanderer

We lived at Preserve at Woods lake for year and half moved in fall of 08. It is very close to Trader Joes, although sadly we left b4 they opened. Now we use the Trader Joes here that we used for about 19 years.

The Preserves is a great location. Right off Haywood Rd. up the block from Haywood mall right off of I-385. We absolutely loved the apt. & complex was very well kept by staff. The enire staff there was always wonderful with anything we needed. They have many floor plans so definitely check it out online. Many move in specials. you should be able to easily get a 2 BR for about 1,100 month. Keep in mind you pay electric. Not bad as our electric bill for large 2 BR was $55 avg. Has everything you mentioned you wanted. Has washer/dryed hook-ups, and also laundry room if do not have own. What we did was rent both for extra 50 month, or you can buy your own. We were not staying long so we rented them . Office takes care of it all if you ask.
Loribell38,

Thanks so much! I just visited their website and it looks like a nice community. Very nice. And proximity to TJs is wonderful as I've been doing the bulk of my grocery shopping there for nearly 10 years (everywhere I've lived, I've been within 15 mins of a TJs...it's weird...in Mass, in NJ and now in NM)

Although,,,My heart sank when I read they have a 2 pet maximum policy. I understand they can't have the complex teaming with pets, I understand there need to be rules, but we have 3 dogs. 2 small dogs (pugs) and 1 medium mixed breed. All dogs are "seniors" now and quiet but I'm nervous they would just say "nope" -- rules are rules. (big sigh)

About how far from the actual downtown is Preserve at Woods Lake?

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,216,014 times
Wanderer

Sorry about the pet minimum there. Had no pets when lived there but did see many people do. That will probably be the case in any place looking to rent. Pretty sure private rentals will be the same. Only way I could think to get around that is agree to replace any carpeting if they have any before moving. Extra security deposit may help,try offering that ,probably only a private place would agree. At a complex they would likely run into a problem with some crying they are discriminating by allowing someone to do something no one else is allowed to do. Then they would have to allow everyone else to do the same thing.

Doubt this would work in the case of more than 1 pet. I do know that this has happened here in NYC. Most apts do not allow any pets. If you have one and already had it when rule took effect then it was what the call "grandfathered in" but when that pet dies you can not replace it or get anymore. Also there have been many cases where an elderly or disabled person was allowed to keep pet. That is only after long drawn out fights.

Unfortunately this probably will not matter in your case.

It is right off off I-385 if you get on there to go towards city it is only a few miles but never hit any traffic and I do believe that Preserves in located within city limits. Haywood Rd. is last exit on I-385. If memory serves me right the next exit is Pleastantburg,then 385 ends taking you right into Main St. BI-LO center is at the end of I-385.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM

24 posts, read 42,666 times
Wanderer,

We did the same exact thing a year ago, so welcome to the club!

Two years previous we decided to move (from Maryland) and in spring of '09 put our house on the market and started the process. We've now been here 13 months almost exactly, and couldn't be happier!

After we had a buyer for our house, we left the kids with family and came down for a weekend. We have 2 small children plus a dog & a cat (well, we lost the dog to cancer a couple of months ago), so our requirements were pretty strict, but we did it. We looked at probably 30 houses, but late Sunday afternoon we found one that fit our bill to a "T" -- cat and all!

We had visited a couple of times before so we knew generally where we wanted to be, but we looked at nearby towns as well, including Simpsonville, Mauldin, Taylors, and Greer. We ended up in a little enclave called Half Mile Lake, north of the city. We are very close to Paris Mountain state park, and Cherrydale (where we do most of our shopping). It's great for us, except for not having ANY businesses within walking distance.

Here are some points for you to ponder:

Most apartment complexes are pet unfriendly--we didn't even go there. But there are SO MANY houses for rent, why even limit yourself? You'll get more room and privacy, even a yard for the dogs. Find a house, you'll be glad you did! Rents are very reasonable. Sure, we had to pay an extra security deposit, but we are responsible and expect to get it back. NBD!

If you want to walk to downtown, the "hip" place to be is the area called North Main. It starts, I dunno, I guess around Park Ave or maybe Stone (I'm not local!), and goes all the way up to Rutherford Rd., extending east and west from Main St. (westward to 25, eastward...who knows? Wade Hampton?). From the intersection of Main and Park Ave it's a 10 minute stroll to downtown. That said, it's almost entirely residential except for the first couple of blocks of Main and the major outer arteries mentioned, so you'll be driving for most purposes.

If you want to be closer to a "hip strip" you want to check out "Augusta Rd area." (For some reason everyone calls it "Augusta Road" but it's actually Augusta St.) This is south and then east of downtown, and there's a lot to do there. Cafes, restaurants, antique shops, salons and so on, and both above and below the main drag are some really nice neighboorhoods. There's plenty walk to, but it's a bit of a hike to downtown from there.

If you really want to be "in the thick of things," there are lofts and condos right around the downtown area. Probably one of the pricier options, but I don't know your budget.

One thing we did, and I highly recommend you do the same, is to get a realtor to show you around. Many times they can get commission for rentals, so you're not wasting their time. We were lucky enough to be introduced to a great guy, who spend the better part of Saturday driving us around. I can recommend him highly--if you want his contact info let me know. Although he wasn't responsible for the house we ended up in, he earned our loyalty so when we're ready to buy, he's da man! Plus, we've become golf buddies and his daughter baby sits for us. (This is a great freakin town!)

If you like driving in traffic, try to find a place around Woodruff Road.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Cass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area