Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,409 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Will be relocating to Greenville within the next couple of months and need advice on the "best" possible public school systems in the area given our other constraints.

Will be working downtown, so prefer to live somewhere within 30 minutes max. (if that's possible and still able to get the schools). Need to have relatively close shopping, restaurants, etc. We're in our mid-30's and kids are just starting school. Willing to pay up to $500-550k for the house. Don't mind older neighborhoods with "character" but need a backyard for the kids and dog.

Any thoughts on where to start looking? I've searched through the threads here and am more than a bit overwhelmed

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM

66 posts, read 221,417 times
We just relocated from Upstate New York to Simpsonville and our children will be going to Mauldin High which got a great rating and our daughter will be attending Rudolph Gordon elementary also from what I have heard excellent. It is a new school and everyone was very helpful during the registration process. We bought a house in Windsor Creek and are very happy.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,583,195 times
Close to downtown, shopping, dining, and great schools... I'd suggest either the Augusta Rd/Alta Vista/Country Club area or the Parkins Mill area. Both are well established areas in the City of Greenville and within 5-15 minutes of downtown (with Augusta Rd area being closer). The Parkins Mill area is going to give you rather large lots and more room to breathe. I'd suggest begin looking at those two areas based on your price range and requests. The schools are good and the access to downtown and the shopping corridors are unbeatable. Not to mention the beautiful shade trees that line the streets of these area.

For what it's worth, I'd definitely try to locate in the City of Greenville. Greenville has a very high quality of life that's unmatched elsewhere in the metropolitan area. There's a great network of parks and greenspace, a good network of sidewalks, and a strong network of bike lanes/paths. Sure, you can enjoy these things by driving to them, but living amongst these amenities is really worth it, IMO.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,816 times
I'm suprised no one mentioned Riverside School district. Ranked as one of the best in the state. Greer/Thornblade area is great spot to look. Lovely neighborhoods in your price range (Thornblade, Barrington Park, Chelsea Woods, to name a few) Very easy access to interstate, so you are downtown in 15mins. Great shopping and dining just minutes away. New Walmart just up the street. Just a great location.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM

807 posts, read 1,789,038 times
You might want to go to greatschools.net and compare for youself. You can also check neighborhoods at www.journalhomes.com. You should have quite a selection to choose from although I agree with the former post that if you want to be near downtown Alta Vista, Augusta Rd, Cleveland St. and McDaniel Ave may appeal to you. If you want near downtown Greenville, look in the 29601 and 29605 zip code. You can also check out Powdersville, it is within 30 minutes & a lot of people are partial to the Wren School district and some new schools are being built in Powdersville. It may be listed as Piedmont (29673) or Easley (29642).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area