Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 AM

27 posts, read 80,725 times

Advertisements

This weekend my husband and I are looking at a commercial property near Cherrydale. We're thinking of opening a Mom and Pop food operation - having just sold one in mid-state - in order to relocate. For those familiar with the area and/or shop/live near there - what would you like to see? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:57 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Good Carolina BBQ...... Hot dog places seem to do well here also. Can't think of anything else right now.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 AM

105 posts, read 383,907 times
i think there are enough bbq places around. i would like to see a well done meat & 3, soul food type place that has freshly made, home cooked food.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
A good farm-to-table restaurant would be nice. Fresh, local food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There are plenty of good bar-b-que and hot dog options already, imho. (Wally Dog is right there) There is a decent middle east restaurant by the theater, but it is so disgustingly dirty that we never eat there. The chain restaurants in the area just offer the typical unhealthy garbage you can get anywhere, so anything healthy and fresh would be the only option like that in that area, at least that I know of.

However, I'm not sure if the local market (economic - not produce) could sustain such an establishment.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie swords View Post
i think there are enough bbq places around. i would like to see a well done meat & 3, soul food type place that has freshly made, home cooked food.
Actually, there are quite a few of that type place around as well (Gene's and Dixie are both between downtown & Cherrydale for starters). However, I can't think of any good BBQ places in the Cherrydale area.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
A good farm-to-table restaurant would be nice. Fresh, local food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There are plenty of good bar-b-que and hot dog options already, imho. (Wally Dog is right there) There is a decent middle east restaurant by the theater, but it is so disgustingly dirty that we never eat there. The chain restaurants in the area just offer the typical unhealthy garbage you can get anywhere, so anything healthy and fresh would be the only option like that in that area, at least that I know of.

However, I'm not sure if the local market (economic - not produce) could sustain such an establishment.
I guess the fact that Greenville is an excellent supporter of alternative grocers (Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Garner's Natural Market), and obviously appreciates local, healthy, organic fare led you to this conclusion?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the input. Actually we sold a health food store with a busy little cafe. We even had our own Tuesday Market (Produce/Grass Fed Meats/Organic Eggs/Raw Milk). Because of its proximity to Paris Mountain and other recreational areas we thought a Healthy Country Store with organic fair trade coffees/teas; fresh veggie juices and fruit/protein shakes, scones, muffins, wraps, snacks, sandwiches, salads, daily specials, dinners to go, etc. Wi-Fi, live bluegrass on weekend afternoons...whatcha think?

ps. DH makes wonderful vegetarian middle eastern and Indian Fare. AND we are clean niks!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I guess the fact that Greenville is an excellent supporter of alternative grocers (Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Garner's Natural Market), and obviously appreciates local, healthy, organic fare led you to this conclusion?
And how many of those things are at Cherrydale? I think the Dress Barn/Shoe Carnival/STAX/Radio Shack crowd is different than the downtown or Woodruff Rd. shopper. No need to get so defensive of any (potentially) negative comment on this board. Perhaps Cherrydale is ready for an "alternative grocer" and farm-to-table restaurant. I'm just saying it would be a risk in that location, imo.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytestar View Post
Thanks for the input. Actually we sold a health food store with a busy little cafe. We even had our own Tuesday Market (Produce/Grass Fed Meats/Organic Eggs/Raw Milk). Because of its proximity to Paris Mountain and other recreational areas we thought a Healthy Country Store with organic fair trade coffees/teas; fresh veggie juices and fruit/protein shakes, scones, muffins, wraps, snacks, sandwiches, salads, daily specials, dinners to go, etc. Wi-Fi, live bluegrass on weekend afternoons...whatcha think?

ps. DH makes wonderful vegetarian middle eastern and Indian Fare. AND we are clean niks!
It should work.....check out the excellent demographics for Montebello and Paris Mountain.....just blocks away from Cherrydale. I know many of those people get frustrated having to drive to the other side of the city for needs.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And how many of those things are at Cherrydale? I think the Dress Barn/Shoe Carnival/STAX/Radio Shack crowd is different than the downtown or Woodruff Rd. shopper. No need to get so defensive of any (potentially) negative comment on this board. Perhaps Cherrydale is ready for an "alternative grocer" and farm-to-table restaurant. I'm just saying it would be a risk in that location, imo.
That's a really good point. Do you think this area draws much from Furman and Traveler's Rest? We will be living 3 miles from Cherrydale, in Dellwood, and our neighbors have already said that a healthy alternative is needed that is closer than out on Woodruff. There is Fresh Market, but it's more of a gourmet store. And Garners doesn't do food.

But we're totally open to BBQ or even a healthy version of Meat and Three. Lovin' the conversation. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area