Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,484,774 times

Advertisements

Is this area getting better or worse? I found a house I like there in the southern section but it seems to be one of the nicer ones in the area. (I'd rather not have the nicest house in the neighborhood.) I like the walkability of the area but wonder about safety. Is it terrible crime wise?

I actually called the police about it and they said I should avoid that area and said that it might not even be safe enough to walk in during the day -- which I thought a little hard to believe---so I thought I'd still ask the forum in case there was someone who lived here or lived nearby who could confirm this or tell me if the officer might have been exaggerating a bit.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,860,647 times
welcome elementary, tanglewood middle school and carolina high school service the roughest ride of town. anything that 25 runs through in the city is "rough".

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
welcome elementary, tanglewood middle school and carolina high school service the roughest ride of town. anything that 25 runs through in the city is "rough".
Oh Darn! Really? This is near Anderson and 25 also. Just my luck! I wonder how such a nice house and yard ended up there?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM

449 posts, read 1,701,047 times
I'm confused - there's 25 - White Horse Way and another 25 - Augusta Road and how far out are you talking about?, is it ok outside the city?. Was wondering about the hospital area, Furman, Cherrydale Mall - my job might be in Travelers Rest and I'm looking at areas that might be closer to work and still close to activities in Greenville. We don't mind older but like everyone else, we're concerned about crime (I work late shifts so don't want to worry about family alone nights)

I know what you mean emily, I've seen pics of some really cute houses for rent in west greenville near downtown but the google view shows pretty shabby neighbor houses. The rents are almost too low - makes you wonder why.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,570,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I'm confused - there's 25 - White Horse Way and another 25 - Augusta Road and how far out are you talking about?, is it ok outside the city?. Was wondering about the hospital area, Furman, Cherrydale Mall - my job might be in Travelers Rest and I'm looking at areas that might be closer to work and still close to activities in Greenville. We don't mind older but like everyone else, we're concerned about crime (I work late shifts so don't want to worry about family alone nights)

I know what you mean emily, I've seen pics of some really cute houses for rent in west greenville near downtown but the google view shows pretty shabby neighbor houses. The rents are almost too low - makes you wonder why.
Midwest - there are lots of neighborhoods in the Cherrydale/State Park Rd area that are older, but still well-kept. There area also some newer ones in that general area as well. Other neighborhoods run along the base of Paris Mountain between that area and Travelers Rest. Basically, anything east of US Hwy 25 (called Poinsett Hwy in that area).

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,853,356 times
yeah, I would recommend you try to stay away from the Berea/Welcome area. I'm thinking I know the neighborhood you are talking about in welcome, and it is surrounded by trailer parks and dangerous areas.
I looked at purchasing a great little house with a pool and a gorgeous yard in that area, but decided against it mainly because the houses didn't have central air, just wall units but also because of the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
yeah, I would recommend you try to stay away from the Berea/Welcome area. I'm thinking I know the neighborhood you are talking about in welcome, and it is surrounded by trailer parks and dangerous areas.
I looked at purchasing a great little house with a pool and a gorgeous yard in that area, but decided against it mainly because the houses didn't have central air, just wall units but also because of the surrounding neighborhood.
Bingo. There is a trailer park about four doors down on one street on one side of the property plus much tinier houses on the way which makes this house look like a mansion. The realtor says the trailer park is covered by a fence but still (and this property has a fenced in backyard) but I'm beginning to think I'd need a 12 ft commercial security fence to feel safe. The officer I spoke with also mentions they don't post rape cases on the crime map because the rapists would use the info as leads for targets.

It is such a shame because it is 1/3 of a mile to about three different grocery stores and it is on a half an acre as well. It would be so nice to live close to shopping as well as have a nice yard and garden.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,853,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Bingo. There is a trailer park about four doors down on one street on one side of the property plus much tinier houses on the way which makes this house look like a mansion. The realtor says the trailer park is covered by a fence but still (and this property has a fenced in backyard) but I'm beginning to think I'd need a 12 ft commercial security fence to feel safe. The officer I spoke with also mentions they don't post rape cases on the crime map because the rapists would use the info as leads for targets.

It is such a shame because it is 1/3 of a mile to about three different grocery stores and it is on a half an acre as well. It would be so nice to live close to shopping as well as have a nice yard and garden.
Sorry to burst your bubble, I did that same thing 3 years ago when I was looking in that neighborhood, great homes and it was probably an awesome neighborhood when they were built(in the 70's) I should also mention that the home I looked at had a broken backdoor that appeared as though someone had kicked it in and the current residents had 2 dobermans in a gated area around back, I think that is a bad sign...(not to say anything bad about dobermans, but they were loud and mean in this case)

Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,117,501 times
You will not be welcomed in Welcome.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You will not be welcomed in Welcome.
Sounds like it, lol. Or at least it won't be the kind of welcome I'd like. Thankfully there are other options although maybe not as nice as Welcome would be if Welcome was more welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area