Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM

503 posts, read 927,462 times

Advertisements

I inquired about a local property for sale. A buyer's agent contacted me and said he had been referred by the selling agent, who claimed she didn't work with buyers. This is new to me, so I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the house is a foreclosure. Anyone care to educate me how the foreclosure buying process is different than any other in regards to agents? Is it standard procedure that the listing agent doesn't deal with the buyer, who has to hire a buyer's agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 PM

915 posts, read 2,425,591 times
In many cases, listing agents who represent foreclosure properties are not allowed to represent the buyer (as a client or customer) in the transaction. The bank sees this as further liability. In most cases, the sticker in the window of a foreclosure property will simply say "Contact your agent for more details and showings."

There is not a single home buying situation in the world, where I would recommend going at it without a buyer agent.

No, it's not because I'm biased either.

Last edited by ckeegan; 01-19-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM

477 posts, read 841,837 times
Hi,
We are looking for a house and I when I look online, I sometimes see foreclosures that are for sale for $1500 or $2000 even though the estimated value of the houses is over $200.000. What is the deal with those? Is it like an auction and you have to ask them what the highest bid is?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Hi,
We are looking for a house and I when I look online, I sometimes see foreclosures that are for sale for $1500 or $2000 even though the estimated value of the houses is over $200.000. What is the deal with those? Is it like an auction and you have to ask them what the highest bid is?
If they are houses listed with that low of an asking price they are auctions with a minimum starting bid. Some are absolute auctions with no minimum above the starting bid, while others have a reserve that must be met before the sale is accepted. The biggest drop I've seen on asking price for a non-auction foreclosure has been about 50%. Lots can be a different story. A very reliable source has told me that in some parts of the NC mtns some lots once valued at $250,000 are now selling for $1000.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 AM

194 posts, read 748,952 times
Not sure I would say it was 'standard procedure' but every situation is different and would be based on the listing agent's business practices and types of agency offered by their brokerage.

Depending on company policy a brokerage may offer single agency - either work for and represent buyers or sellers exclusively. "Representation" is spelled out in the buyer contract including fees which often times come out of the transaction.

Hiring an agent to work for you in purchasing an REO property is not a bad idea as previously mentioned. IMHO if the listing agent doesn't work with buyers then you should have no worries. Just hire a buyer agent of your choosing to work for you and protect your interests.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM

807 posts, read 1,786,154 times
Default dual agency

The listing agent works for the seller. In order for them to work with a buyer a dual agency form has to be agreed to by both parties. The buyer and the seller. The realtor you hire should give you the brochure and explain it at first contact. There is a reasonable explanation for all of this and your realtor will be able to help you. It's all about representation.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,130 times
I'd like to locate an agent who knows more about the $1,000 lots (formerly $250K) in the NC mountains. If you have reliable information, please dm me. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I'd like to locate an agent who knows more about the $1,000 lots (formerly $250K) in the NC mountains. If you have reliable information, please dm me. Thanks.
It might take me a few days to get the info. Possibly tomorrow.

Last edited by daveatgso; 01-20-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
It might take me a few days to get the info. Possibly tomorrow.
Thanks for the effort, Dave! I really appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 AM

93 posts, read 166,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Thanks for the effort, Dave! I really appreciate it.
I also have some land to sell you in Florida!...if you believe that too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area