Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times

Advertisements

We would like to plan a trip there to see the different areas:

1) Greenville
2) Greer
3) Simpsonville
4) Traveler's Rest
5) Fountain Inn

How much time should we allow? What are the different areas of each one that we should look at to get a feel of each town? Where is the main hub for shopping, entertainment, etc? We would most likely stay in Greenville so we'd start there. Any order we should see them or see more than in one day?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,852,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We would like to plan a trip there to see the different areas:

1) Greenville
2) Greer
3) Simpsonville
4) Traveler's Rest
5) Fountain Inn

How much time should we allow? What are the different areas of each one that we should look at to get a feel of each town? Where is the main hub for shopping, entertainment, etc? We would most likely stay in Greenville so we'd start there. Any order we should see them or see more than in one day?

Thanks for the help in advance.
I would think a week or less to just drive around and get a general feel for each little area, they aren't too terribly far apart. although if you really wanted to spend some serious time then maybe you would need more like two weeks??

Old 05-21-2011, 02:35 AM

144 posts, read 296,648 times
If you try to really understand all of these areas I would not try to pack it into less than at least 3 to 4 days.
First off, a couple of suggestions. Buy a map..a good one. Bring a notepad, and camera and take lots of breaks to digest what you have seen or it will all blend together and you will not remember much.

Just Greenville is 2 days. True you can easily see it all in one day but if you do not take your time it will all blur. Start downtown and look at the Augusta Rd area, Cleveland park and all the neighborhoods in the North Main area. From there make your way over and check out the north side of Greenville. Take in Paris Mountain, some of the neighborhoods on State park rd and Pebble Creek.
Keep following state park rd till it intersects hwy 25 and that will put you in Travelers Rest.
This is a small community but make sure you check out the small downtown, Furman university and Roe Ford Rd and the Green Valley area. Make sure to stop at one of the small cafes in TR near the swamp rabbit trail and digest what you have seen. I would also recommend taking some time to park and walk around the Furman Campus. If you want to check out more northern locations such as the Cliffs Valley and such that would be the time to do it.

I think all of that will be enough for one day, take 25 strait into downtown Gville. Make note of how long it takes to get from this northern area to downtown. Make notes of things like traffic and traffic lights and if you know where you are going to be working then make sure you know that drive time

The next day I would leave downtown and head down Wade Hampton Blvd toward Greer. There are some neighborhoods along the way to look at in areas like Taylors. Greer covers a big area and you will just have to decide what you want to see. North of Wade Hampton you will find bigger tracts of property and the lake robinson area. This will all be somewhat similar to what you saw in the TR area. South of Wade Hampton you will find higher density developments and more shopping.
Make sure you take time to go to downtown Greer and I would probably stop park and each lunch there.
Then make your way out of downtown greer and find your way over to the Thornblade area..still part of greer but not really. This will put you on Pelham rd and you will want to spend some time discovering this area as well. There are tons of neighborhoods in this area and it will take time to check out all the parts that make up greer. I would probably call it a day after this and head back to downtown greenville via 85 to 385.

Next day leave downtown and head down 385 south and stop off on Woodruff rd and explore that area..Do this really early if its a weekend to avoid the traffic. Take woodruff rd all the way out to five forks and check out this area.

Come back up woodruff rd and get back on 385 south and stop off in Mauldin to check this area out as well.

keep trucking it down 385 to simpsonville and then down further to fountain Inn. It will be a full day trying to take all of this area in.

If your house hunting I would suggest grabbing a home guide and picking out some neighborhoods you want to see in each area.

Knowing where you will be commuting to will make a huge difference in where you should choose to live. if it is anywhere along 85 or 385 then I would rule out parts or greer or anything north of downtown as poor access to 85 and 385 is the main drawback to this area.

Anyway, take your time, take lots of notes and lots of pictures.

One last thing, check the weather before you come. If it is set to be a rainy couple of days just postpone your trip, It is impossible to get a feel for anything in bad weather.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 AM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttown View Post
If you try to really understand all of these areas I would not try to pack it into less than at least 3 to 4 days.
First off, a couple of suggestions. Buy a map..a good one. Bring a notepad, and camera and take lots of breaks to digest what you have seen or it will all blend together and you will not remember much.

Just Greenville is 2 days. True you can easily see it all in one day but if you do not take your time it will all blur. Start downtown and look at the Augusta Rd area, Cleveland park and all the neighborhoods in the North Main area. From there make your way over and check out the north side of Greenville. Take in Paris Mountain, some of the neighborhoods on State park rd and Pebble Creek.
Keep following state park rd till it intersects hwy 25 and that will put you in Travelers Rest.
This is a small community but make sure you check out the small downtown, Furman university and Roe Ford Rd and the Green Valley area. Make sure to stop at one of the small cafes in TR near the swamp rabbit trail and digest what you have seen. I would also recommend taking some time to park and walk around the Furman Campus. If you want to check out more northern locations such as the Cliffs Valley and such that would be the time to do it.

I think all of that will be enough for one day, take 25 strait into downtown Gville. Make note of how long it takes to get from this northern area to downtown. Make notes of things like traffic and traffic lights and if you know where you are going to be working then make sure you know that drive time

The next day I would leave downtown and head down Wade Hampton Blvd toward Greer. There are some neighborhoods along the way to look at in areas like Taylors. Greer covers a big area and you will just have to decide what you want to see. North of Wade Hampton you will find bigger tracts of property and the lake robinson area. This will all be somewhat similar to what you saw in the TR area. South of Wade Hampton you will find higher density developments and more shopping.
Make sure you take time to go to downtown Greer and I would probably stop park and each lunch there.
Then make your way out of downtown greer and find your way over to the Thornblade area..still part of greer but not really. This will put you on Pelham rd and you will want to spend some time discovering this area as well. There are tons of neighborhoods in this area and it will take time to check out all the parts that make up greer. I would probably call it a day after this and head back to downtown greenville via 85 to 385.

Next day leave downtown and head down 385 south and stop off on Woodruff rd and explore that area..Do this really early if its a weekend to avoid the traffic. Take woodruff rd all the way out to five forks and check out this area.

Come back up woodruff rd and get back on 385 south and stop off in Mauldin to check this area out as well.

keep trucking it down 385 to simpsonville and then down further to fountain Inn. It will be a full day trying to take all of this area in.

If your house hunting I would suggest grabbing a home guide and picking out some neighborhoods you want to see in each area.

Knowing where you will be commuting to will make a huge difference in where you should choose to live. if it is anywhere along 85 or 385 then I would rule out parts or greer or anything north of downtown as poor access to 85 and 385 is the main drawback to this area.

Anyway, take your time, take lots of notes and lots of pictures.

One last thing, check the weather before you come. If it is set to be a rainy couple of days just postpone your trip, It is impossible to get a feel for anything in bad weather.

Good luck.
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do all the towns have something going on during the weekends like outdoor bands, festivals, farmer's markets, car shows, etc?

I forgot to ad Easley as well.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,566,820 times
That's kind of like asking, "How long is a piece of string?". I'd say if you can swing it, try to spend a week in the area. If you have specific needs or questions, fire away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area