Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 8,345,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What's so different about a big metal and glass rectangle? It looks like any other office building built in the past 30 years. It's boring. It's NOT different at all. THAT's the building I have the most issue with. The one on the corner. Hopefully that's not the final design, but again, for the most dense on here, we don't have an issue with the project as a whole going forward, but the scale of these buildings, especially the one on the corner is all wrong for Main Street. It's going to dwarf those trees and that intersection. Set it back. It can go even taller if it's set back (like the first building), and is more in keeping with the rest of that part of town.

If only the first building is approved, I guess a vacant lot will remain on the corner for awhile? Since the second "ONE" building isn't approved, I'm guessing the design can be changed? Cause that is one one, big, seriously boring, seriously ugly thing. "Different" is the last word I would use to describe it. "Inappropriate," "dull," "ugly," are better descriptors of that thing.
And who made you god of what's considered ugly? The majority likes it. Get over it, or get on the design board and kill needed projects like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,406,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I totally agree. The man in the news story says he wants development, just not that particular building. Also I like the open public area in the middle of downtown, didn't they work hard to give Greenville that small town America feel by changing main st? Why would we want to start changing something that works?

unfortunately, I think gman is right, goliath usually wins in these situations....

Sure its a money maker, yes the land will be occupied by a newer building, but why can't they redesign the building?
Precisely right, and they can re-design the building. It has been done before.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,476,843 times
The first building (the one with the spire, in full color on the renderings) is indeed the only one that has been approved. It is the one that will start construction soon.

The second building, on the corner, has not been approved yet. The design in the renderings is not even finalized yet. A tenant has verbally agreed to be part of it, and the details are supposedly being worked out now. I'm sure a redesign is likely, especially if the rumored tenant is a prominent company already headquartered in Greenville.

I would like to see the second building be redesigned such that it only has a few stories along Main, with more height toward the back. I think it would make for a visually stunning building while still protecting the pedestrian scale on Main Street. It would also provide some additional height and complement the first phase of ONE even better.

With that said, if the corner building ends up being built as shown in the rendering, I won't be upset. It's not like people will stop walking on Main street because the building is there. And the pedestrian will still feel embraced by ground-level retail. This is certainly not something that should stall the project in the future.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,406,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What's so different about a big metal and glass rectangle? It looks like any other office building built in the past 30 years. It's boring. It's NOT different at all. THAT's the building I have the most issue with. The one on the corner. Hopefully that's not the final design, but again, for the most dense on here, we don't have an issue with the project as a whole going forward, but the scale of these buildings, especially the one on the corner is all wrong for Main Street. It's going to dwarf those trees and that intersection. Set it back. It can go even taller if it's set back (like the first building), and is more in keeping with the rest of that part of town.

If only the first building is approved, I guess a vacant lot will remain on the corner for awhile? Since the second "ONE" building isn't approved, I'm guessing the design can be changed? Cause that is one one, big, seriously boring, seriously ugly thing. "Different" is the last word I would use to describe it. "Inappropriate," "dull," "ugly," are better descriptors of that thing.
I definitely agree with almost everything you posted here. The Poinsett Plaza office tower was the last "highrise" (by Greenville standards) built in the Upstate and it changed the skyline dramatically by becoming the first tower affected by a new (at the time) design guideline that encouraged non-flat rooftop design elements on all new buildings taller than *** feet. The Pinnacle on Main and The Camperdown would have followed suit had they been constructed as proposed.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Well, as mentioned by another poster, the second building isn't approved and will likely be redesigned. So let's not get our panties in a wad about it.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,839,998 times
Whoops...I almost forgot to post today's media story involving Anthony Conway. Here you go: Downtown project draws critics | The Journal Watchdog by Community Journals, a media company based in Greenville, S.C Enjoy! Oh and I agree 100% with the mayor:

“He’s trying to turn a public-private partnership into a conspiracy,” White said of Conway.

Can I get an AMEN and a HALLELUJAH?

Last edited by g-man430; 06-23-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,707 times
The number one factor in making street level interesting isn't the height of the buildings but the street level design and the presence of street level retail frontage. If there is an overhang or awnings or good tree coverage most of the time you won't even notice how tall the building is.

It would be good if they design the second phase to be less generic and more interesting architecturally but, as others have said, they probably haven't actually done more than a basic concept of the second phase. They need the first phase to be successful first.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 PM

He has lost already. Keyword was "guidelines". Not laws.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,881,413 times
I love, love, love the response of Knox White!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,807,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
And who made you god of what's considered ugly? The majority likes it. Get over it, or get on the design board and kill needed projects like this.
You don't have to be the god of anything to have an opinion, especially an opinion shared by many others. Majority? Majority of what? I would guess the majority of Greenvillians have no clue what's being planned at this site.

This thing passed the review board 3-2. Have the two that voted against it said why they voted that way? You would think that the building at 100 Main Street, the center of town, would be something that the entire board could support.

What's the next step in this process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area