Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,570,144 times

Advertisements

This is not a job posting. Just a question on pay and this area does have a better economic outlook than some others.

I am looking to hire an assistant caregiver for my mother (homebound/stroke) every other weekend so we can "get away" some.

Figure I would take the offer to schools/community colleges as I think it may be good for a nursing or CNA student

Thing is they need to be at my house from 730am to 800pm -BUT-
The job is only being a second person to assist with transfers etc. Some lifting but their actual time would only be about 30 minutes in the am, 30 in the pm and 5 minutes every 3 hours. Meals/snacks provided (we eat healthy) I would provide them access to a room with a desk and wireless internet so they could study, watch tv etc during "down times" --

So in a 12.5 hour day, the actual working time is about 3 hours (which would provide a student plenty of time to study, read, etc) -- obviously I need to pay for "on call" time since they are pretty much captive.

I figure even minimum wage is a bit high for a job like this--anybody ever done something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,853,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
This is not a job posting. Just a question on pay and this area does have a better economic outlook than some others.

I am looking to hire an assistant caregiver for my mother (homebound/stroke) every other weekend so we can "get away" some.

Figure I would take the offer to schools/community colleges as I think it may be good for a nursing or CNA student

Thing is they need to be at my house from 730am to 800pm -BUT-
The job is only being a second person to assist with transfers etc. Some lifting but their actual time would only be about 30 minutes in the am, 30 in the pm and 5 minutes every 3 hours. Meals/snacks provided (we eat healthy) I would provide them access to a room with a desk and wireless internet so they could study, watch tv etc during "down times" --

So in a 12.5 hour day, the actual working time is about 3 hours (which would provide a student plenty of time to study, read, etc) -- obviously I need to pay for "on call" time since they are pretty much captive.

I figure even minimum wage is a bit high for a job like this--anybody ever done something like this?
IMO needing someone for the period of time you will need them to be available, you will have to pay well above minimum wage, maybe I am crazy but you are talking about a 12 hr shift of basically day care, and no offense to your mother, but babysitters make a boatload nowadays, and some of them have to do much less work than what you are asking.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,738,326 times
I would post an ad, describe the job as you have, and ask them to state salary requirements. You might find out a bit more about how much it will cost this way. I'm sure there are great nursing/CNA students that would provide compassionate care, and the "down time" to study is a selling point.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,030 times
With unemployment at almost double digits I'd think you could hire any day of the week at minimum wage.

Not sure if the forum allows, but post here to find, or craigslist.com. Although you may have to vet the person out somewhat.

Best wishes!

--
Julian Thomas
http://www.julianthomasdmd.com

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks - I guess I could start with offers and see what shows up. I do the background check and taxes (which cuts out a lot of people who to be paid under the table) . I have hired before through Craigslist but it was for primary care for which I do pay more as it is 100% job. I am finally at the point of saying my husband and I really deserve some time off together on the weekends.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,810,505 times
So you want people to go through a background check for a one-day a week job, that pays minimum wage ($7.25/hr) AND take out taxes??? I assume you have an EIN and are doing the whole W4 and W-2's? I mean, this person will get the tax money back eventually at this pay rate. A twelve hour day will net around $65.

If you are taking out taxes, I assume you are carrying workers comp insurance. What happens if this person gets hurt at your house?

I can't believe someone would go for this, or that you would want the person so desperate to take this. You're not "on call" when you have to stay at the house. You're "at work," only your employer just doesn't have much for you to do.

Last edited by Art123; 08-09-2011 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 81,505 times
I agree with NoodlesKnowles, I think you need to pay more than minimum wage for what you're expecting the caregiver to perform for this job. I pay between $10 and $12 per hour for babysitters, even when my kids are sleeping and the babysitter is just hanging out, and I think that's pretty standard for the area...

I hope you find someone and can work something out!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So you want people to go through a background check for a one-day a week job, that pays minimum wage ($7.25/hr) AND take out taxes??? I assume you have an EIN and are doing the whole W4 and W-2's? I mean, this person will get the tax money back eventually at this pay rate. A twelve hour day will net around $65.

If you are taking out taxes, I assume you are carrying workers comp insurance. What happens if this person gets hurt at your house?

I can't believe someone would go for this, or that you would want the person so desperate to take this. You're not "on call" when you have to stay at the house. You're "at work," only your employer just doesn't have much for you to do.

Whoa

Yes I have an EIN and I pay the entire social security and medicare portion (do not deduct their share from them) and do not withold personal income taxes - which is perfectly legal. [they get a W-2, which reports their income and shows their SS and Medicare taxes] And I have workmen's comp, though not required by law. I also pay unemployment taxes to the state and file quarterly. A SLED check is all of $25 and takes a few minutes....I was not talking about an FBI background check (which is $18 but takes 6 weeks and a trip to the police office)

This may be an acceptable offer for the right person. I was just asking for ideas if anyone had any experience with this and their insight; not an assessment of my ability to manage home workers which are, as of today exempt from minimum wage laws provided certain provisions are met. There are PLENTY of people who will take $9 an hour to work full time all day because they would contact me when I was requesting live in help but I don't need another full-timer

FWIW - I am not being *cheap*. HOme health care is expensive - moreso than a nursing home - and I am doing everything I can to insure the quality of my mother's care, while not depleting my own resources. I am up a creek as will be many many many people caring for elderly in their home if the administration removes the companion care exemption from the wage regulations.

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-09-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,554,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Whoa

Yes I have an EIN and I pay the entire social security and medicare portion (do not deduct their share from them) and do not withold personal income taxes - which is perfectly legal. [they get a W-2, which reports their income and shows their SS and Medicare taxes] And I have workmen's comp, though not required by law. I also pay unemployment taxes to the state and file quarterly. A SLED check is all of $25 and takes a few minutes....I was not talking about an FBI background check (which is $18 but takes 6 weeks and a trip to the police office)

This may be an acceptable offer for the right person. I was just asking for ideas if anyone had any experience with this and their insight; not an assessment of my ability to manage home workers which are, as of today exempt from minimum wage laws provided certain provisions are met. There are PLENTY of people who will take $9 an hour to work full time all day because they would contact me when I was requesting live in help but I don't need another full-timer

FWIW - I am not being *cheap*. HOme health care is expensive - moreso than a nursing home - and I am doing everything I can to insure the quality of my mother's care, while not depleting my own resources. I am up a creek as will be many many many people caring for elderly in their home if the administration removes the companion care exemption from the wage regulations.
You get what you pay for! I am with some of the other posters....at least pay $11-$12 an hour. Not sure I would want someone who is working for $9 an hour caring for my mother. Money can be made again....you cannot get another mother!

Just my 2 cents!

Old 08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,008,707 times
I wonder if Greenville Tech has a job office? When I was in college I found a job through the college employment office. They had job postings for students to look at. It was a good way to earn some money, plus it gave me references for when I graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area